Mander Organ Builders Forum

Voluntary for Induction of New Priest

Vox Humana

What would you play for the induction of a new priest at your church?

I have already discounted War March of the Priests and an improvisation on Happy days are here again, though if rumours are accurate the latter would probably earn me brownie points. I shall probably compromise (on my side of the fence) with Mulet's Carillon-sortie, but I wonder whether there is anything that would be more liturgically apt. How appropriate would be settings of Veni Creator Spiritus/Komm Heiliger Geist?

I have already discounted War March of the Priests and an improvisation on Happy days are here again, though if rumours are accurate the latter would probably earn me brownie points. I shall probably compromise (on my side of the fence) with Mulet's Carillon-sortie, but I wonder whether there is anything that would be more liturgically apt. How appropriate would be settings of Veni Creator Spiritus/Komm Heiliger Geist?

Yes, something to do with the Holy Spirit would be most appropriate - Mulet, as you say, Vierne Final (Symph 1), Dubois Toccata, do you know the Ridout piece published by Mayhew - sorry, have forgotten the title, but there's an inner movement called Wind of the Spirit, or something! Bach - G major (541). Mathias Toccata Giocosa. Elgar - March from Caractacus ?? Lots, really! I presume you're thinking of the Komm Heiliger Geist from the Eighteen - wonderful! (Up early this morning - I think I'll go and run through all of those before breakfast!) Breakfast??

I was in this situation earlier this year, I played . . .

Preludes

Adagio in E - Frank Bridge

Aria - Paul Manz

Cloches - Marcel Fournier

Adagio (Suite for Organ) - Malcolm Archer

Psalm Prelude Set 1 no.1 - Herbert Howells

The Peace may be exchanged (Rubrics) - Dan Locklair

Adagio - Percy Whitlock

and Postludes

Grand Choeur in G - Théodore Salomé

and finally, yes!

Carillon-Sortie - Henri Mulet

RAC

I have already discounted War March of the Priests

We had the War March of the Priests for our wedding. However, we were concerned about the chortle factor given that my father in law is a theology professor and several other relatives work for the church, so in the order of service we went for the German title. Most of the guests being American, we figured that they wouldn't bother to look up the real meaning!

For the record, it's "Kriegsmarsch der Priester".

Many thanks indeed for the replies. There are some really helpful suggestions here and I shall almost certainly adopt some of them.

The Vierne Final #1 would have been my top choice except that I did it only two or three weeks ago. It's a bit soon to repeat it. The title of the Ridout rings a bell, but I don't know it. Ridout + wind sounds like it might be a bit tricky and not learnable within the timescale.

Komm heiliger Geist: Yes, the Bach settings! Might do for the pre-service waffle. Probably too sophisticated for the congregation, but they won't be listening anyway and I'd enjoy them. There's Buxtehude too.

Magnificats: Very possible, though I don't like doing alternatim settings without a choir. Never quite sure whether Buxtehude's were meant to be alternatim or not.

Creeds: Excellent suggestion. I might well do the Clavierübung pieces before the service. I also adore the dramatic harmonies at the end of Krebs's multi-verse setting - so arresting on full organ (and he built in time to draw stops too) - though how to hold the listeners' interest throughout the rest of the piece seems an insurmountable problem. (Surely it was intended as an accompaniment rather than a chorale prelude?)

I do like Handsoff's suggestion - but I really daren't. But wait! Oh, yes! Alain's Litanies! Perfect. It could salve my conscience while His Nibs enjoys the syncopation effects. It's that damned left-hand passage though...

Will the Bishop be doing the service? If so, why not use the Widor 'Marche Ponitificale' which is loud and pompous (not that I would limit its use to occasions when a Bishop was a present!).

I would assume the bosh-up* will be doing the honours, but I blush to admit that I don't have, nor have ever even heard, the Widor. Does it require much effort? I'm afraid I'm very lazy these days.

I was in this situation earlier this year, I played . . .

Preludes

Adagio in E - Frank Bridge

Aria - Paul Manz

Cloches - Marcel Fournier

Adagio (Suite for Organ) - Malcolm Archer

Psalm Prelude Set 1 no.1 - Herbert Howells

The Peace may be exchanged (Rubrics) - Dan Locklair

Adagio - Percy Whitlock

and Postludes

Grand Choeur in G - Théodore Salomé

and finally, yes!

Carillon-Sortie - Henri Mulet

RAC

Crumbs. Big church then?

* This mangling dates from my organ scholar days when a tongue-tied minor canon, reciting the collect for the Feast of St Peter, inadvertently referred to "all bosh-ups and pastors". During the ensuing anthem - Gibbons's setting of the same text - the altos, tenors and basses, to a man, spontaneously repeated his gaff.

We had just such a service in Kendal last Sunday...

I put to our new Priest-in-charge the options of "War March of the Priests" (Mendelssohn) or "Marche Pontificale" (Widor). His reply was something along the lines of, "Hm, interesting - one makes it look like I'm on the warpath, the other makes it look like I have ideas well above my station..."

He chose the Widor in the end, and it went down extremely well.

I would assume the bosh-up* will be doing the honours, but I blush to admit that I don't have, nor have ever even heard, the Widor. Does it require much effort? I'm afraid I'm very lazy these days.

From Symphonie No. 1 - rather surprised you don't know it. You'll find plenty of videos of the usual suspects playing it on YouTube and the score on public domain. A rather fun piece - not horrendously difficult at all - some big chords to get the hands round and some fiddly bits when it goes into four flats. Needs a big organ to sound effective I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...
From Symphonie No. 1 - rather surprised you don't know it. You'll find plenty of videos of the usual suspects playing it on YouTube and the score on public domain. A rather fun piece - not horrendously difficult at all - some big chords to get the hands round and some fiddly bits when it goes into four flats. Needs a big organ to sound effective I'd say.

Thanks for the steer. Not entirely sure what I think of it as a piece, to be honest!

The Ride of the Valkyries?

I'm sure he'd love it.

However, I suspect the matter is about to be settled for me. His New Nibs and I are meeting later this week to sort out various things and at some point he will ask me to play his favourite organ piece, the Widor Toccata. I'm taking bets.

Not at all! The vibes I picked up were actually very encouraging. We'll have to see how it works out in practice, of course, and it's not going to be a worship song free zone by any means, but he's talking in terms of dialogue and mutual co-operation - which is precisely what I would want. He'd certainly done his research about me!

That's very good news and I hope that it all works out well. It's encouraging that the new incumbent has shown so much interest in the proper music.

He is interested and does seem keen to preserve what is there. He asked whether the choir would be able to sing an anthem at his induction, which was a nice touch; not everyone would have asked.

:o

You didn't...? :P

He is interested and does seem keen to preserve what is there. He asked whether the choir would be able to sing an anthem at his induction, which was a nice touch; not everyone would have asked.

You didn't...? :P

The subject came up in passing... :o

For what it's worth, I've found him to be keen on choral music, especially as a means of getting children more involved. I think he's just not keen on the introspective little choir clubs that linger on in some churches, the ones that are more interested in wearing cassocks than singing in tune. Can't fault him there. He was a chorister as a child, I believe.

Yes, he was - at Heavitree, Exeter. Lionel Daker's wife also got him through grade 4 on piano. He told me he likes Tallis. No one who likes Tallis can be that bad! :P

He asked me what I thought of "Shine, Jesus, shine" and then floored me by claiming that he hates it. On the other hand, he still chooses it occasionally - because of the words, he said. I'm not convinced that is any excuse, but these are the sort of areas where we're going to have to reach a diplomatic armed neutrality.