Mander Organ Builders Forum

Priory DVD

John Robinson

Has anyone received their St Paul's one yet? It said for issue in September - not much time left!

I ordered one at the same time as the Gillian Weir, or rather my wife did (for my birthday - on 3rd of August!). As far as I know it has not been released yet but, as you say, its arrival should be imminent - I hope.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone received their St Paul's one yet? It said for issue in September - not much time left!

I have just had a call from Priory asking for my new debit card details and the gentleman said that the DVD would be despatched today.

I have just had a call from Priory asking for my new debit card details and the gentleman said that the DVD would be despatched today.

Oh.. that's hopeful. I'm sure I ordered one, and have been aware that it's been issued now for about two or three weeks, but I haven't had my copy, although the Gillian Weir DVD arrived about 3 or 4 weeks ago (and is still on my desk unopened).

:)

This is a simply terrific DVD and left me with a silly grin on my face. It's well worth hooking the DVD player up to the hi-fi to fully appreciate it and this then gives the same sound quality as one would have from a CD. The filming is sensitive to the music and the choice of pieces and later demonstration are spot-on to demonstrate this thrilling instrument to the full, including that wonderful Claribel flute on the choir. The additional items give some interesting detail including the Royal Trumpets anecdote.

I don't know if Simon or anyone from Priory reads this forum but if you do - thanks and congratulations.

St. Sulpice next? ;)

St. Sulpice next? ;)

There is one available actually: http://www.ohscatalog.org/danrotschwei.html I'm not very au-fait with posting links - I hope you can get this to work somehow.

Anyway, whilst not as sophisticated in production terms as the Priory DVD's, the quality is perfectly good, and features Roth speaking with great charm about the history of St Sulpice and the organs, before playing two pieces on the Orgue de choeur (itself a masterpiece): Widor's version of the last movement of the St. Matthew passion from "Bach's memento, followed by Widor's Meditation (Symphonie I). He then goes up to the Grand orgue to play an improvisation on Herzlich tut mich Verlangen and Victimae Paschali, O Lamm Gottes, unschuldig from Bach's 18, the first movement of Widor 6, Franck's Priere and a Saint-Saens scherzo.

Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

My St Paul's DVD has just arrived. I think Priory must have been sending them out in batches but, if so, I am pleased that they have sold so many. An excellent DVD and an excellent organ.

However, and I may be completely wrong here, I have a feeling that in the 'bonus feature' description of the organ the pipes of the Solo Corno di Bassetto and the Solo Cor Anglais may have been 'highlighted' on the pictures the wrong way around. I would have thought that the Corno di Bassetto was the shorter one and 'stopped', whilst the Cor Anglais would be longer and open.

I'm not intending to 'pick nits' here, just interested. If anyone who has the DVD has the patience to look, please tell me whether I'm right or wrong.

My St Paul's DVD has just arrived. I think Priory must have been sending them out in batches but, if so, I am pleased that they have sold so many. An excellent DVD and an excellent organ.

However, and I may be completely wrong here, I have a feeling that in the 'bonus feature' description of the organ the pipes of the Solo Corno di Bassetto and the Solo Cor Anglais may have been 'highlighted' on the pictures the wrong way around. I would have thought that the Corno di Bassetto was the shorter one and 'stopped', whilst the Cor Anglais would be longer and open.

I'm not intending to 'pick nits' here, just interested. If anyone who has the DVD has the patience to look, please tell me whether I'm right or wrong.

My copy to the St Paul's one arrived on Thursday and have enjoyed it so much that I have watched it about six times already. I have particularly enjoyed the history of the organ feature (with all the improvisation on that theme) and also the Cocker Tuba Tune 'talk-through'.

Was very interesting to see all the views inside the organ.

I have a feeling that Willis Corno di Bassetto stops mostly had hooded pipes, but may be wrong.

JA

This is the programme:

1. Promenade (from Pictures at an Exhibition) Modest Mussorgsky trans: Keith John

2. Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor BWV 582 J.S.Bach

3. A Song of Sunshine Alfred Hollins

4. Chaconne Healey Willan

5. Footprints in the Snow Claude Debussy

6. Passacaglia (from Sonata No.8) Josef Rheinberger

7. Path in the Wood Alan Ridout

8. Ground in A minor Orlando Gibbons

9. Prelude to "They walk alone" Benjamin Britten

10. Canon Johann Pachelbel

11. Passacaglia Dimitri Schostakovitch

12. Marche des Rois Mages Theodore Dubois

13. Toccata and Fugue "The Wanderer" C.Hubert Parry

Members can make up their own minds. It is certainly not a programme for which I am even slightly temped to pay out £20.

Malcolm