Mander Organ Builders Forum

Hauptwerk Salisbury organ dowload

Malcolm Kemp

Apologies for raising an issue that isn't directly related to a conventional pipe organ but I don't know any other way of asking a wide spectrum of people who may know.

In anticipation of the dry version of the whole of the Salisbury cathedral Hauptwerk system being released sometime in the next year (hopefully!) does anyone know what sized touch screens Daniel Cook has on his own console, please? My present screens are fine for the Illinois Skinner instrument but I wonder whether they may prove inadequate for the Salisbury instrument. If I am going to need bigger ones I need to start saving!

Thanks.

Malcolm

Apologies for raising an issue that isn't directly related to a conventional pipe organ but I don't know any other way of asking a wide spectrum of people who may know.

The Hauptwerk site has the info - here is the full-size console image (the Hauptwerk forums will get an answer to such questions from the makers within a couple of hours, as well).

Anyway, the set requires 1280x1024 screen resolution*. I am using a 19" monitor, and it's fine. The console display for part 1 shows all the stop knobs, but with the engraving of those not yet available blanked out, so the requirement should not change for later parts.

Additionally, version 4 of Hauptwerk, to be released shortly, will enable some resizing of screens - though I presume there will be some softening of edges, leading to a reduction in clarity. But this could be useful if using a monitor that is not quite big enough (e.g. a wide-screen device with, say, 960 vertical resolution).

Paul

* The actual image is somewhat smaller than that to allow for the title bar, borders and taskbar on a 1280x1024 monitor.

In anticipation of the dry version of the whole of the Salisbury cathedral Hauptwerk system being released sometime in the next year (hopefully!) does anyone know what sized touch screens Daniel Cook has on his own console, please? My present screens are fine for the Illinois Skinner instrument but I wonder whether they may prove inadequate for the Salisbury instrument. If I am going to need bigger ones I need to start saving!

Thanks.

Malcolm

19" are fine. Anything that does 1280x1024, basically. Why not download the trial and find out?

Anyway, the set requires 1280x1024 screen resolution*. I am using a 19" monitor, and it's fine. The console display for part 1 shows all the stop knobs, but with the engraving of those not yet available blanked out, so the requirement should not change for later parts.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have 17" screens (1280 x 1024) which are perfectly adequate for the Illinois Skinner and my organ/computer expert reckons they will also be alright for the Salibury organ although I'm going to wait until the whole organ is available in dry form. Whilst I can see what the whole console display is like, can anyone tell me what the division between the two screens (ie left and right jambs) is like and how they get over the question of the couplers? I don't need all the psitons &c., on the screens because my console has 8 general pistons and 8 psitons to each department anyway so I assume it will be possible to tailor exactly what apepars on the screens.

Thanks again

Malcolm

can anyone tell me what the division between the two screens (ie left and right jambs) is like and how they get over the question of the couplers?

The only released version so far has only a single console screen, laid out (including couplers) as the illustration I linked before. There will presumably be twin screen layouts in some later release, but we have not been shown them yet, and so can't tell how the couplers will be arranged on them.

I assume it will be possible to tailor exactly what appears on the screens.

This is not possible in existing HW sets, except by using the CODM, which has a standardised appearance and somewhat limited facilities.

Paul

I now have straight from thw horse's mouth, so to speak, that the Salisbury specification will be divided between two separate screens when volume 2 is issued.

Thanks to those of you who have contributed comments above.

Malcolm