Mander Organ Builders Forum

St. Paul's Cathedral

nachthorn

Hmmm, that sounds a bit physical.

Nothing like that at Salisbury the other day, but there was a distinct atmosphere conveyed somehow that we were bordering on being personae non grata for sitting and listening to the post-Evensong voluntary on a Saturday, and they'd all be happier if we were outside the cathedral.

At my own church I have had twice to remonstrate with the temporal authorities when they have turned the lights off whilst I was playing the voluntary. Possibly a hint, but normally it's fine.

On the Sunday, Andrew played the whole of Franck's third Choral after evensong and the vergers were quite diligent in ensuring that there was no interruption. Indeed, at least one was sitting in the quire and listening. I'm sorry you had that experience on the Saturday, but I shot up to the loft after the vestry prayer and didn't notice. At least you weren't bodily carried from the building :P

It wasn't a great problem, and they'd been very friendly before the service. Perhaps I was feeling a bit over-sensitive just then.

However, the whole thread does point up the potential problems encountered in places great and small. I suppose in fact such experiences make all the more welcome the occasions when everything runs smoothly and happily. If there are such problems I'm sure they are notmeant -but just accidents of circumstance.