Mander Organ Builders Forum

St Edmundsbury

Martin Cooke

Without trespassing upon the generosity of our hosts, I am sure members who are hitherto unaware, would be interested to visit the St Edmundsbury Cathedral website to see news and photographs of the new Nicholson organ that it taking its final shape there at the present time. The new case work is stunningly beautiful. Sorry - haven't noted the website address but Google will get you there quickly. You will see after a quick rummage that there's a photo gallery as well as the home page pic.

Many thanks for posting the link to the set of pictures. I'd had an inkling of what to expect from the Harrison and Harrison advertisement in the latest Choir and Organ. A really interesting new case(s).

Two points about pedal pipework.

1. If I were spending that amount of money I would have hoped that re-used pedal pipes were given a fresh coat of paint etc to ensure all joints were sealed. Not so here. Is this a conservation point so we can see what is old and what new or just standard practice now (H&H did the same at Cirencester)?

2. I have never seen wooden pipes with metal canistered tops. I assume this is left over from the old organ and is a method used to lengthen pipes when they are re-pitched rather than add new woodwork with a wooden stopper. Is this so or does this promote a new type of organ tone?

PJW

• 1 month later...
Just to correct the message above: The new organ at St Edmundsbury Cathedral is being built by Harrison & Harrison of Durham, not Nicholsons.

There is more information on these websites:

http://www.stedscathedral.co.uk/news/141-organ-project

http://www.harrison-organs.co.uk/stedmundsbury.html

For anyone interested in this colourful project: Cathedral website (under MUSIC heading) now shows completed organ and details of recitals in 2011.

Wow that case is spectacular!

Nice to know that (assuming it sounds as good as it looks), British organ building is not just alive and well but equal to the finest anywhere else in the world can offer. Congratulations to Harrisons (and thanks as always to Manders who happily allow their competitors to be showcased and openly discussed). New or substantially new four manual cathedral or cathedral size instruments at Worcester, Llanduff, Cirencester, St Edmundsbury, Auckland NZ over the past couple of years - have I missed any? Amidst the doom and gloom of the economy in general, let's hope we are living in a golden age of British organ building!

Wow that case is spectacular!

Nice to know that (assuming it sounds as good as it looks), British organ building is not just alive and well but equal to the finest anywhere else in the world can offer. Congratulations to Harrisons (and thanks as always to Manders who happily allow their competitors to be showcased and openly discussed). New or substantially new four manual cathedral or cathedral size instruments at Worcester, Llanduff, Cirencester, St Edmundsbury, Wellington NZ over the past couple of years - have I missed any? Amidst the doom and gloom of the economy in general, let's hope we are living in a golden age of British organ building!

Agreed about the case. Is quite impressive!

I think you may be meaning Auckland, New Zealand. The cathedral organs in Wellington were last rebuilt in 1980 (St Paul's Anglican) and 1991 (Sacred Heart Catholic).

JA

I think you may be meaning Auckland, New Zealand. The cathedral organs in Wellington were last rebuilt in 1980 (St Paul's Anglican) and 1991 (Sacred Heart Catholic).

Edited and corrected, my apologies. Having seen the organ in pieces last week at the Willis factory I can only being to imagine how it will sound once it arrives in situ. There will be some very happy NZ organists!