Mander Organs
Simon Walker

Organ Mistakes: The Shortest living organs

I can't remember whether Norwich Cathedral has been mentioned already in this thread, but if not I suppose it part-qualifies as the old organ burned down in 1938, and a substantial part of the new organ was destroyed in the factory during air raids (therefore before the organ was finished or even in situ).

==================================

Didn't the same fate befall the Willis organ at Liverpool Cathedral?

It was stored in some sort of huge, stone-built garden shed to the west of the cathedral, (then very incomplete), and suffered a direct hit from a bomb.

I guess they didn't play Reger at the opening recital! ;)

MM

There is an interesting bit in the latest BIOS Reporter where the Casework officer states that this is one of the 'worst instances' he has encountered - he goes on to talk about a '60s style electrification' and that the organ has been 'comprehensively divested of it's character and originality.' It seems as if responsible people have been involved but all the same........Has anyone seen/heard/played it yet?

A

Hi

Organists’ Review Feb 2011 p.25f - interesting description of the instrument in current form.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

Organists’ Review Feb 2011 p.25f - interesting description of the instrument in current form.

Every Blessing

Tony

No Tony; not in its current form. It has now had electronic stops added as well (since the article was written) accessed through a multi position rotary knob and some additional stop knobs.

PJW

Hi

Every Blessing

Tony

... any chance of some snippets?

No Tony; not in its current form. It has now had electronic stops added as well (since the article was written) accessed through a multi position rotary knob and some additional stop knobs.

PJW

What are they?

PJW

Crafty!

A

I've played this organ, both in its previous setting in Homer and in its new home. At Homer the action was horrible to play and the only good-sounding stops were those of the Hill choir organ.

It's all very well for the BIOS types to knock the transposition to Hay (and, to be fair, the case does look a bit odd on the gallery) but the fact remains that the people at Homer had no interest in preserving this instrument and now it is loved and cherished in its new home. I've played it in the new venue and it's OK. The installation has been done very tidily and there is a nice new Renatus drawstop console. Is it a great instrument? Well no, but a hell of a lot more satisfying and effective than 90% of those Victorian instruments doomed to a century of incarceration in a tiny chancel organ chamber.

'Interesting to hear of first hand experience of this organ - but what is a BIOS type please?

A