Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Longest-Lived Organs

David Coram

Disappointing that the church website uses the words "too costly to repair"; I'd have preferred "too costly for us to repair".

Interestingly, and I wonder if this might not deserve its own thread, I caught Loyd Grossman (of Through The Keyhole fame) on the Parliament Channel giving evidence to, I think, a select committee of MPs about heritage and the voluntary sector and he actually mentioned "historic pipe organs" in the context of heritage organisations that are run by volunteers "out of love" and don't have "smart offices in Strasbourg". Mr Grossman was an eloquent and impressive speaker.

He's well-qualified to do so as chairman of various of various museum and heritage bodies, and, since 2007, Chairman of the Churches Conservation Trust.

JS

Two interesting organs in West Yorkshire.

Firstly, an untouched 1912 Brindley & Foster in St Peter's, Shipley. The last time I played it, the instrument was in fine voice and everything was working. (10+ years ago for a wedding).

Of enormous historical importance is the Annessens instrument at Zion Methodist Centre, Ogden, nr.Halifax. 1891, as built and with only an "overhaul" since.

That's two original instruments; one slightly over the century and the other just coming up to it.

MM

Interestingly, and I wonder if this might not deserve its own thread, I caught Loyd Grossman (of Through The Keyhole fame) on the Parliament Channel giving evidence to, I think, a select committee of MPs about heritage and the voluntary sector and he actually mentioned "historic pipe organs" in the context of heritage organisations that are run by volunteers "out of love" and don't have "smart offices in Strasbourg". Mr Grossman was an eloquent and impressive speaker.

He is also chairman of The Churches Conservation Trust, an excellent organisation which looks after many sadly redundant churches of historic/architectural interest, most of which still contain the organ.

Cynic's old church 'St. Mary Shrewsbury' is one.

DT

Oops! didn't notice that John Sayer beat me to it.