Mander Organ Builders Forum

Arvo Part - Trivium

AJJ

I quite enjoy certain aspects of the more minimalist end of the repertoire and indeed the music of Part (sorry - couldn't find the required accent!) generally - does anyone play this piece and how challenging is it technically please?

A

I quite enjoy certain aspects of the more minimalist end of the repertoire and indeed the music of Part (sorry - couldn't find the required accent!) generally - does anyone play this piece and how challenging is it technically please?

A

Hi,

I play it, not very often as it's an acquired taste, but I do like it. John Scott's recorded it on the Mander at St IL in New York.

It's not difficult at all, infact sight-readable because nothing happens quickly, so as long as you know where it's heading so that you can communicate the overall structure, it won't cause you any difficulties.

In a decent acoustic, with beautiful flutes and a nice clear principal chorus it sounds excellent and is indeed a unique piece of repertoire.

I do seem to remember that the copy was expensive though!

All best,

P.

PS Alt+0228 gives ä (I feel a little embarrased that I even know that though :unsure: )

Hi,

I play it, not very often as it's an acquired taste, but I do like it. John Scott's recorded it on the Mander at St IL in New York.

It's not difficult at all, infact sight-readable because nothing happens quickly, so as long as you know where it's heading so that you can communicate the overall structure, it won't cause you any difficulties.

In a decent acoustic, with beautiful flutes and a nice clear principal chorus it sounds excellent and is indeed a unique piece of repertoire.

I do seem to remember that the copy was expensive though!

All best,

P.

PS Alt+0228 gives ä (I feel a little embarrased that I even know that though :unsure: )

Thanks Paul - another effective piece in this idiom is Continuum by Iain Quinn published here - not too expensive either. You can hear it here too.

A

That's a useful summary Paul. Would you say easier or harder than Miroir (Ad Wammes) the only piece of minimalism I've delved into?

Sorry, I don't play that.

It's a LOT easier than Michael Nyman's 'Fourths Mostly' - very minimalist and gave me aches in muscles I didn't know I had! :unsure: Mind you even TT made a half page cut when he premiered it, that made me feel better about finding it so tricky...

That's a useful summary Paul. Would you say easier or harder than Miroir (Ad Wammes) the only piece of minimalism I've delved into?

Triviuum is a lot easier IMHO - but worth playing.

Archived