Mander Organ Builders Forum

George Sixsmith

DQB123

This news just in...

George Sixsmith died on Saturday 16 October at the age of 80. He contracted pneumonia a few weeks before his death and never fully recovered. Many will remember this jovial but very sincere man and the excellent work he and his firm have done over many years. He will be greatly missed. There will be am organ recital in St. Werburgh’s Church, Chester, given by Roger Fisher, at 2.30pm. on Saturday 8 January 2011 to celebrate the life and work of this well known organ builder. Admission will be free with a Retiring Collection in aid of Cancer Research UK. Further detail next month.

This news just in...

George Sixsmith died on Saturday 16 October at the age of 80. He contracted pneumonia a few weeks before his death and never fully recovered. Many will remember this jovial but very sincere man and the excellent work he and his firm have done over many years. He will be greatly missed. There will be am organ recital in St. Werburgh’s Church, Chester, given by Roger Fisher, at 2.30pm. on Saturday 8 January 2011 to celebrate the life and work of this well known organ builder. Admission will be free with a Retiring Collection in aid of Cancer Research UK. Further detail next month.

Andrew (George's son) tells me that his father was still a very active part of the family business until a few weeks before his death.

DT

This news just in...

I am so sorry to learn of George's death. He was a truly lovely man, always full of fun and one of the most helpful men you could ever wish to know. I will always remember his generosity to me several years when he allowed me and a colleague to use his pipe shop in order to make respectable some battered pipes from an organ we were renovating and rebuilding. I will get in touch with Andrew to express my sadness and condolences at his passing.

RIP

Indeed, a most splendid and unforgettable character within the organ-trade, whose enthusiastic and warmly entertaining manner shone through even in latter days when his obvious frailities began to catch up with him!

May Andrew and his colleagues continue to thrive. George's last big project, the transplanting of a redundant organ into the fire-damaged church at Newhey near Rochdale, may sadly not have been completed in time for him to appreciate. The company's great strength was in the (to some, controversial) use of extension, which furnished many a church with pipes when an electronic substitute could easily have been the only option.

CP

I am sorry to hear of this. It is most fitting that a recital in his memory will be given in St Werburgh's Chester. The original instrument may be a Binns, but the rebuild by Sixsmith is artful, masterful and a pleasure both to hear and to play - a testament to the outstanding work done by this man.

I can't think of a more appropriate organ and organist to give a recital in his memory. Roger Fisher knew him well and the Sixsmith firm built his house organ in the 80's, which is a masterpiece in extension organ building! The St. Werburgh's organ is very pleasant to play and listen to and I'm sure it will be a memorable event for those who can attend.

• 1 month later...

Roger Fisher’s recital yesterday at St Werburgh’s, Chester, and in commemoration of the life and work of the late George Sixsmith was a very well-attended occasion. Played on the organ that George and his company installed in 2004, it was a fitting tribute to a much loved man and organ builder. I’m sure that Roger’s words fully encapsulated the thoughts and feelings of everyone there. No doubt it was a great and reassuring comfort to Andrew and his family that so many attended to pay their respects to the memory of his father, George.

As well as the applause for a superb recital we were also invited to applaud the memory of George coupled with the organ, a nice gesture which took the sadness out of the occasion. For those who haven't been to St Werburgh's it's worth mentioning that the priest there, Father Paul, is knowledgable of music, ensures the organ is appreciated and has a nice line in dry humour which added to an enjoyable afternoon.

As well as the applause for a superb recital we were also invited to applaud the memory of George coupled with the organ, a nice gesture which took the sadness out of the occasion. For those who haven't been to St Werburgh's it's worth mentioning that the priest there, Father Paul, is knowledgable of music, ensures the organ is appreciated and has a nice line in dry humour which added to an enjoyable afternoon.

Yes, Jim, I readily agrre with your words. I confess to overlooking Father Paul who as well being musically knowledgable also has a lovely sense of humour. What an excellent choice the Bishop of Shrewsbury made when appointing Fr Paul to St Werburgh's.

Yes, Jim, I readily agrre with your words. I confess to overlooking Father Paul who as well being musically knowledgable also has a lovely sense of humour. What an excellent choice the Bishop of Shrewsbury made when appointing Fr Paul to St Werburgh's.

PEDANT MODE on!

The Bishop of Shrewsbury is an Area Bishop in Lichfield Diocese. I would think that Fr Paul was appointed by the Bishop of Chester.

PEDANT MODE off.

I'm glad that it was such a satisfactory event.

Guest Patrick Coleman
PEDANT MODE on!

The Bishop of Shrewsbury is an Area Bishop in Lichfield Diocese. I would think that Fr Paul was appointed by the Bishop of Chester.

PEDANT MODE off.

I'm glad that it was such a satisfactory event.

Unless the Ordinariate changes such things, I should imagine the Bishop of Shrewsbury (whose Diocese includes Shropshire and Cheshire) would be quite cross if the Bishop of Chester attempted to make appointments within the Roman Cathoilc Church in the area.

Pedants who live in glass houses...

Unless the Ordinariate changes such things, I should imagine the Bishop of Shrewsbury (whose Diocese includes Shropshire and Cheshire) would be quite cross if the Bishop of Chester attempted to make appointments within the Roman Cathoilc Church in the area.

Pedants who live in glass houses...

Quite right - Apologies.

• 3 weeks later...
This news just in...

I have just returned from a superb day with Roger Fisher at Newhey near Rochdale. The organ, which is a substantial instrument utilising pipework from the HN&B originally in St.Peter's, Loughborough, will always be George's memorial. Its amazing blend of fine pipes with digital additions delighted us all, and Andrew and his team are to be most highly congratulated on a marvellous job well done!

CP