Mander Organ Builders Forum

Technical assistrance please

AJJ

Sorry - rather off the strictly organ track - my new pc operates on Windows 7 and the up to date version of Audacity will not record 'anything' played on the pc as was the case on my last machine. The drop down menu in Audacity preferences says that there is no input device - so what do I need to do to connect the pc to Audacity - so to speak? I have tried Windows troubleshooter and it just suggests plugging in a mic - which is not what I need to do. On line forum details are very complex and seemingly written by experts for experts!

Thanks

A

PS Sorry for the blooper in the title - can one actually edit these?

I fear the answer is far too technical to answer here, but in essence what you need to do is loop back the audio card by reconfiguring it within Windows 7. Anything played back on the machine can then be captured by Audacity.

Not all cards/drivers support this configuration however, so you may be unlucky in your quest.

I fear the answer is far too technical to answer here, but in essence what you need to do is loop back the audio card by reconfiguring it within Windows 7. Anything played back on the machine can then be captured by Audacity.

Not all cards/drivers support this configuration however, so you may be unlucky in your quest.

Amazingly........I've just sorted it!! Thanks mrb. I knew someone could help in here - actually achieved by feeding your answer back into google and doing as suggested there.

A

Oh dear there goes another one. Having just taken delivery of a nice shiny new Win7 64 bit computer it's taken me somewhat by surprise to find that most of my existing software (admittedly bought 5-10 years ago) is no longer working. Theological reference materials, music printing, graphics and now audio. It's going to be another late night again...and there was I believing the marketing hype that advances in computing were, um, advances.

Oh dear there goes another one. Having just taken delivery of a nice shiny new Win7 64 bit computer it's taken me somewhat by surprise to find that most of my existing software (admittedly bought 5-10 years ago) is no longer working. Theological reference materials, music printing, graphics and now audio. It's going to be another late night again...and there was I believing the marketing hype that advances in computing were, um, advances.

Ah yes, but it benefits all these businesses if, when you succumb to a new proprietary operating system, you then have to get upgraded versions of all the rest of your software. It's what keeps the microcomputer and software industry running! :lol:

Ah yes, but it benefits all these businesses if, when you succumb to a new proprietary operating system, you then have to get upgraded versions of all the rest of your software. It's what keeps the microcomputer and software industry running! :lol:

Or you could, of course use Linux. No probs at all with Audacity and it also runs my Orgue Electrique (jOrgan)

mpk

Sorry - rather off the strictly organ track - my new pc operates on Windows 7 and the up to date version of Audacity will not record 'anything' played on the pc as was the case on my last machine. The drop down menu in Audacity preferences says that there is no input device - so what do I need to do to connect the pc to Audacity - so to speak? I have tried Windows troubleshooter and it just suggests plugging in a mic - which is not what I need to do. On line forum details are very complex and seemingly written by experts for experts!

Sorry I cannot help. However, I just wanted to mention that I, too, found Windows Help of no help whatsoever when I had a different (unrelated) problem. Also, my (admittedly old) scanner will not work with Windows 7, even in 'compatibility mode'.

Sorry I cannot help. However, I just wanted to mention that I, too, found Windows Help of no help whatsoever when I had a different (unrelated) problem. Also, my (admittedly old) scanner will not work with Windows 7, even in 'compatibility mode'.

You could try doing what I have done and have dual operating systems that can be chosen at startup. For the majority of tasks, I find Windows 7 better than any previous version, but there is one particular piece of custom software that I wish to retain, which is not compatible with Windows 7, and the dual boot option lets me do so. I also have the option of XP Pro working as a Virtual PC within Windows 7. It is convenient for quick tasks, but it does not always respond instantly so is not quite so good for editing.

JC

You could try doing what I have done and have dual operating systems that can be chosen at startup. For the majority of tasks, I find Windows 7 better than any previous version, but there is one particular piece of custom software that I wish to retain, which is not compatible with Windows 7, and the dual boot option lets me do so. I also have the option of XP Pro working as a Virtual PC within Windows 7. It is convenient for quick tasks, but it does not always respond instantly so is not quite so good for editing.

JC

Thanks, John. That's a good idea. I could, presumably, just install a previous version of Windows on a different partition. I'll look into that.

I agree that Windows 7 is a big improvement on Vista.

Thanks, John. That's a good idea. I could, presumably, just install a previous version of Windows on a different partition. I'll look into that.

Also the current beta version of Audacity seems to work with W7.

PM sent. :o