Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ music for St Stephen's DAy

Contrabombarde

There's an easy and loud Wilbur Held prelude/postlude on Good King Wencelas in Cramer's 'Church Year' compilation. Its not exciting or very interesting, but low effort.

Our church is having only a said service on Boxing Day - after fully sung Midnight Mass & Christmas morning.

There's an easy and loud Wilbur Held prelude/postlude on Good King Wencelas in Cramer's 'Church Year' compilation. Its not exciting or very interesting, but low effort.

I'm speaking from memory here (I don't actually have the book), but isn't this actually on "God rest ye merry"?

According to the hymns for the ecclesiastical year according to the order at Hamburg 1587, the hymn set for St.Stephen's Day is A solis Ortus Cardine (or, Germanicised, Christum wir sollen loben schon) - there are good settings by Scheidemann, Scheidt (Tab Nova III), Hieronymus Praetorius and Michael Praetorius. Since it is H. P's 450th anniversary year I may well play his setting, otherwise it will be Scheidt (after the carol service on the 19th they are getting his setitng of Veni redemptor gentium). Do many people play Scheidt today??

Happy and musical Christmas to all members, John Collins, Worthing

Here at Kendal, I'll be treating whoever turns up to Noel Rawsthorne's "Improvisation on Good King Wenceslas." I hope we can get away with the carol of the same name as Introit or Post-Communion hymn too - the caveat being that since we ditched Hymns Old & New in favour of Common Praise, said carol is no longer in our hymnals so we'll have to prep some word sheets instead... (I've never been a fan of Hymns O&N, but this is one reason to lament its loss.)

I believe there's a piece by Robert Cockcroft entitled "A Good King chills out for Spring" which comes highly recommended for St Stephen's Day, although I've neither heard it nor played it myself.