Mander Organ Builders Forum

New CD

AJJ

This looks good - very fine sounding organ and player with a good balance of music. One doesn't here much FP these days - I must dig out some of my copies. (Via facebook one can get a ca 15 minute video of organist & producer discussing the instrument and repertoire - I couldn't get it onto here - sorry!)

A

There is also a new Hyperion CD of Peeter’s organ music due out in January - D'Arcy Trinkwon playing the organ of Tonbridge School Chapel.

While ordering it I also came across the organ concerto and Missa Festiva with Peter Pieters (organ) and the Flemish Radio Orchestra and Choir on the Klara label. I ended up ordering both. I need a New Year’s resolution to buy fewer CDs!

There is also a new Hyperion CD of Peeter’s organ music due out in January - D'Arcy Trinkwon playing the organ of Tonbridge School Chapel.

I wonder if this comes with a health warning? Last year the IAO Congress visited Tonbridge School - Simon Preston gave an excellent recital - but the volume of the organ was almost unbearable - I can't imagine why anyone would want an organ as loud as this one! It goes on my list of organs not to hear again...

This looks good - very fine sounding organ and player with a good balance of music. One doesn't here much FP these days - I must dig out some of my copies. (Via facebook one can get a ca 15 minute video of organist & producer discussing the instrument and repertoire - I couldn't get it onto here - sorry!)

A

Lovely playing, repertoire and a simply gorgeous organ !

Perhaps Pierre can tell us something about this fine instrument.

Flor Peeters' organ music does seem to be somewhat neglected - at least in this part of Europe it seems as though this composer were virtually nonexistent (at least that's my impression).

Actually I just wanted to mention that there is a rather short and easy, but very nice and effective piece by Peeters in "The Oxford Book of Ceremonial Music for Organ", called Festival Voluntary (Op. 87). Anyone else playing this? How about some recommendations for those more "rewarding" pieces from people who play more of Peeters' organ music. Or was this already discussed in some other thread?

See here about the Antwerps organ:

http://www.akc-orgel.be/akcv2/main.php?tekstid=15

Schyven was the pupil of Josef Merklin. He was his workshop manager

while Merklin was established in Brussels, and took over when Merklin

left for France.

As a result the Schyven organs are close to Merklin's in style, somewhat

hybrid France/ Germany: less powerfull than Cavaillé-Coll's, more refined,

sweeter, and with some free-reed stops.

Pierre

I've only played a small amount of Peeters' music, but what I've played, I've liked:

Aria - I'm sure most on here will be familiar with this one.

Suite Modale - a great work, not too taxing, except perhaps the final toccata movement. The other three movements (Koraal, Scherzo, Adagio) are not problematic at all.

Lied-Symphony - I've only ever bashed my way through the last two movements of this, but I think it's a really great work. It's also a shame we don't often hear the work in its entirety. It's rather tricky, and quite difficult to make it sound convincing.

I've also got the score to that Ave Maris Stella work, but haven't ever tried it. Perhaps others can give some tips on this one.

VA

I've only played a small amount of Peeters' music, but what I've played, I've liked:

Aria - I'm sure most on here will be familiar with this one.

Suite Modale - a great work, not too taxing, except perhaps the final toccata movement. The other three movements (Koraal, Scherzo, Adagio) are not problematic at all.

Lied-Symphony - I've only ever bashed my way through the last two movements of this, but I think it's a really great work. It's also a shame we don't often hear the work in its entirety. It's rather tricky, and quite difficult to make it sound convincing.

I've also got the score to that Ave Maris Stella work, but haven't ever tried it. Perhaps others can give some tips on this one.

VA

I regularly play T, F, & H on Ave Maris Stella. Not unduly difficult, about 3 systems in the Fugue need attention, but it's satisfying to play and people like to listen to it. Should be aired a bit more I think.

AJS

I wonder if this comes with a health warning? Last year the IAO Congress visited Tonbridge School - Simon Preston gave an excellent recital - but the volume of the organ was almost unbearable - I can't imagine why anyone would want an organ as loud as this one! It goes on my list of organs not to hear again...

Well:

GreatOrgan_GreatArtists.jpeg

I do play his CP on occasion, and have tinkered with his 3 P+F as well as movements from the Suite Modale. While not every work is a masterpiece, I find all of his music to be expertly crafted. Certainly he in no way deserves to be neglected! I've wondered if anyone will ever tackle the 30 or so hours of organ music he wrote and make an integrale recording set...

Sadly, I doubt it will happen - the sheer magnitude of the expense with no hope of merely breaking even on the cost will deter CD companies from trying.

That makes me wonder - when you lot buy a CD, is it primarily for the repertoire, the organ/venue or both? Would you be curious enough about the repertoire

to buy a CD (if there were no other recordings) even if you weren't particularly excited about the venue?

I've been toying with some ideas on how to get some of this repertoire recorded and out there - it would be a bit of a departure from what most CD companies

do, but it might work...

oops.... there I went and hijacked the thread... sorry

:unsure:

-G

That makes me wonder - when you lot buy a CD, is it primarily for the repertoire, the organ/venue or both? Would you be curious enough about the repertoire

to buy a CD (if there were no other recordings) even if you weren't particularly excited about the venue?

-G

Mostly these days (cost!) for specific repertoire OR a specific instrument - I have long given up buying on a whim or collecting the sorts of CDs you find at church/cathedral bookstalls - I have enough Widors, D Minors etc. already! As an example - 'have just ordered the Peeters CD above and the last CD I got was of new organ music from Canada. A bit picky perhaps but we are running out of shelves under the stairs!

A

AJJ - I've seen this new CD mentioned on the Aeolus website. I find difficulty getting hold of this label, there doesn't seem to be a UK distributor, although I did get a couple from Amazon. Others I've got direct from Aeolus but with postage that turns out to be pricey. Where do you get yours from? As an aside, I was fortunate once to attend a recital by FP, 1973 I think it was, he played here in Chester. Roger Fisher used to play his music quite a lot at one time. Ian Tracey still does at Liverpool, he's done the Leid Symphony a few times and last year, I think it was, Suite Modale.

Like you I go for repertoire when buying CDs, I've far too many already. OT but my last, well recommended, is David Briggs, Messe pour Notre Dame, both choral and some organ pieces, with choir of Trinity College, Cambridge at Gloucester, Hyperion label. Marvellous.

Seasonal greetings to all.

Jim T.

AJJ - I've seen this new CD mentioned on the Aeolus website. I find difficulty getting hold of this label, there doesn't seem to be a UK distributor, although I did get a couple from Amazon. Others I've got direct from Aeolus but with postage that turns out to be pricey. Where do you get yours from? Jim T.

I get mine direct from Aeolus.

A

A

=======================

You know, there's a predictable modality in the music of Flor Peeters, but there are many good tunes to enjoy. One of my favourite recital choices is the "Lied to the Flowers," which I discovered in my youth on a recording made by Caleb Jarvis at St.George's Hall, Liverpool.

The "Aria" (originally written for trumpet), is very beautiful, while the "Missa Festiva" (splendidly recorded at St John's, Cambridge under George Guest, is a very fine setting.

However, the one work which NEVER seems to be hear, is the Concerto for Organ & Piano, which is rather good. It was recorded many years ago by Ronald and Mary Perrin at Ripon Cathedral.

I agree that the music of Flor Peeters is sadly neglected, while other composers are grossly over-represented.

MM

=======================

You know, there's a predictable modality in the music of Flor Peeters, but there are many good tunes to enjoy. One of my favourite recital choices is the "Lied to the Flowers," which I discovered in my youth on a recording made by Caleb Jarvis at St.George's Hall, Liverpool.

MM

I have that LP too. I seem to remember there being a lot of wind noise. I am presuming that is what it is, and not surface noise from the (old) LP.

=======================

...However, the one work which NEVER seems to be hear, is the Concerto for Organ & Piano, which is rather good. It was recorded many years ago by Ronald and Mary Perrin at Ripon Cathedral...

Michael Jones (piano) and I gave it a few airings here in the Midlands back in 2007. It's great fun, effective and not actually difficult. It went down well with the audiences too. Finding churches with both a decent piano, decent organ and a concert budget was quite difficult however!

We also included Franck Prelude, Fugue & Variation in its piano organ/harmonium duet form, a couple of jazzy works by Dale Wood, Benjamin Burrows' Variations and Marcel Dupré's Theme and Variations. The Dupré, however, is very difficult in places, especially for the pianist!

P

I have that LP too. I seem to remember there being a lot of wind noise. I am presuming that is what it is, and not surface noise from the (old) LP.

================

The organ was almost falling apart at the seams at that time, having suffered considerable neglect over the years. Lest we forget, this was the era of Liverpool corruption, when there was talk of knocking the hall down and replacing it with something modern and highly lucrative to certain people.

A few people kept things going, and a lot of unpaid time went into keeping the organ functional.

Caleb Jarvis, (a superb organist), was probably the only person who could have achieved the feat of recording on this organ at the time, but he knew all the quirks and pitfalls of the action, and the end result was superb. On the same recording, he plays the exciting Lied to the Sun by Peeters and some superb Brahms.

MM

Michael Jones (piano) and I gave it a few airings here in the Midlands back in 2007. It's great fun, effective and not actually difficult. It went down well with the audiences too. Finding churches with both a decent piano, decent organ and a concert budget was quite difficult however!

We also included Franck Prelude, Fugue & Variation in its piano organ/harmonium duet form, a couple of jazzy works by Dale Wood, Benjamin Burrows' Variations and Marcel Dupré's Theme and Variations. The Dupré, however, is very difficult in places, especially for the pianist!

P

===================

Sadly, the Peeters Concerto for Piano & Organ is out of print, if my understanding is correct.

I have a copy of it, I'm pleased to say, should anyone wish to play/record it again anytime.

MM

===================

Sadly, the Peeters Concerto for Piano & Organ is out of print, if my understanding is correct.

I have a copy of it, I'm pleased to say, should anyone wish to play/record it again anytime.

MM

I only got my copy in 2007. It says that the HW Gray 1958 copyright was assigned to Cramer & Co in 1978.

P

===================

MM

I made a trip to London's music shops yesterday, and Foyles had a copy of what looked to be the piece under discussion in their sale drawer.