Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Bach Edition from Breitkopf

Vox Humana

4 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

my more recent NBA volumes are a different size to the ones I bought some years ago.

That's "shrinkflation" for you.  My ancient Novello set of Bach suffered from the same phenomenon, thus undergoing the same fate as Rowntrees Fruit Gums, tins of Quality Street and countless other products. Still, I suppose we should be thankful that they didn't go the Toberlone route and perdiodically miss out chunks of pages.

Oh?  I haven't found that the NBA size changed, not like the Novello (which I don't have).  My two oldest volumes (brown paperback, from the 60s) are perceptibly less tall (but barely 1mm even so) than the later ones, but otherwise they all match perfectly in size though the hardback ones are that little bit larger, as expected.  Of the blue volumes I have, there are three distinct shades of the colour, and the most recent ones have the printing on the spine the other way round (but the even later hardback volumes still have it the earlier way).

Yes, I have a really motley collection there, and the Breitkopf is wonderfully uniform in comparison, even with the change of livery!

Paul

I'd not noticed a size change with the NBA either, though I've not seen any recent printings. All my NBA volumes are blue, but what did change was the covers and the colour tone. The earliest volumes I bought had dark blue PVC covers, but Bärenreiter later abandoned these for lighter blue ones of card.

They didn't change to blue; the brown volumes, whether hardback or card, are the actual NBA volumes which are part of the full edition, and the blue ones are the performing editions normally sold in shops.  My old card brown volumes came from Blackwells secondhand, and were part of an estate sell-off after the death of a subscriber (I got some full scores as well, and some Handel and Mozart in the equivalent editions), and my recent hardback ones (vols 10 & 11) in a Blackwells sale - they were incorrectly ordered I believe, and the blue versions were not yet out.  The front matter and the position of the volume contents are different in the blue and brown volumes, but the music plates are identical, of course.