Mander Organ Builders Forum

An armchair journey to the Czech Republic

MusingMuso

One of the Board Members contacted me recently via Private Message, asking about the music of Mushel. Unfortunately, I couldn't help much, but we did exchange a bit of information about the Czech composer Klement Slavicky.

It occurred to me that it is possibly many years ago that I wrote at length about organ-music from the former Eastern Bloc; having rooted out whatever information I could find on the subject over a period of time.

In checking my information, I searched around a bit, and to my pleasant surprise, came across quite a lot of music video clips on Youtube; each of which are worth a thousand of my words; speaking very eloquently for themselves. Not only do we find many historic instruments in the Czech Republic, but some brilliant modern ones, with some expert organists to match.

So we can all sit back in mid-winter, and enjoy a bit of an armchair summer coach-trip holiday, listening and seeing for ourselves what makes me so enthusiastic about this remarkable region with such a rich history.

The first clip is a mini-TV documentary/interview with Kateřina Chroboková; a very pretty lady indeed, then appearing at the "Prague Spring" festival, playing a splendid Rieger-Kloss instrument at the Martinu Hall in the Lichtenstein palace (Academy of arts), Prague.

For superb technique and control, the young organist Pavel Svoboda takes some beating. This is truly fine Bach playing, and the organ at the concert hall in Krnov, (home to the Rieger-Kloss company) is just magnificent. The piece following by Luboš Sluka: "Vigilie per organo" is rather fine too, and as a composer, he is largely unknown to me.

The "Pražská fantazie" pro varhany by Otmar Mácha, is a fairly full-blooded modern work, but what surprises me is the competence and sheer musical maturity of the very young organist, Marie Suchankova.

The organ is that in St.Augustina, Brno.

I'm sure everyone will know the following work, but it's nice to hear it on a native Czech instrument. Unfortunately, the performer is not mentioned!

For sheer quality, the Michael Engler (of Wroclav, Poland) organ of St.Moritz, Olomouc,, (considerably added to by Rieger-Kloss), is the best know in the Czech Republic. I've written this previously, but the Engler organ is still playable from the original console (shown in the video), and the additions to the instrument are quite that, and not the result of the original organ being mutilated to fit the end result.

This is an organ of 5 manuals, operated from a Sputnikesque electric console of weird design, but who cares when the old pipework (which is all that is used in this recording) sounds as good as this! Olomouc, (pronounced Olamutz), is home to the celebrated yearly organ-festival, and if

you ever want tickets, book a year or more in advance.

Not many organs can cope so perfectly with Durufle and Bach, but this one can, and if nothing else, it demonstrates that baroque and romantic pipework can co-exist harmoniously, given a very good voicer.

In the first example we hear the Bach G-Minor fugue, and in the second, the Bach C-minor Passacaglia played by Jirina Pokorná.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS2kuA7pV0U...feature=related

The baroque style lingered on in the former Czechoslovakia; especially in the capital city Prague. While Mozart was writing in classical style, organists were still writing and playing Preludes & Fugues in baroque style, and none better than Josef Seger. The following link is his Prelude & Fugue in C minor, played on the organ of the church of Our Lady, Tyn, Prague.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK23wRLx2_4...feature=related

Bohuslav Matej Cernohorsky is known as the Bohemian Bach because of his remarkable facility with counterpoint. He is known to have played alongside Bach, when Bach's employer went on holiday to the Czech region; Bach taking with him a clever, folding harpsichord.

There are unfortunate events, and there are absolute tragedies. The music of Cernohorsky is a tragedy, because most of it perished in a fire. Thus, hundreds of very important baroque organ and other works were lost. Add to that all the Bach that ended up in the bin or on the fire after covering pots of jam, and we have a conjoined tragedy of epic proportions.

We hear the Fugue in C minor in the following, played on the organ of the Concert Hall, Klara, in Cheb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c__X3f5lAMQ...feature=related

The next, by the same composer and played by the same organist on the same organ, is the Fugue in A minor: a piece I like to play at recitals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75LT9hIKepw...feature=related

Another splendid, if rather sombre work, is the Prelude & Fugue in C Minor by Jan Zach; again played by Jirina Pokorná.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgXjPSX5voc...feature=related

It is difficult to find suitable organ-works from the classical period, but not in the Czech region, Here is a delightful work by Jan Křtitel Kuchař, the Fantasia in G minor, played once again by Jirina Pokorná at Cheb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeWLyLozRA8...feature=related

The composer Brixi (1732-1771) was a friend of Mozart; so he was probably a quite lively character. So is his music, which includes not only organ works, but organ concerti, of which the following are but a small sample. First his Fugue in D Major:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehy645K8XIs...feature=related

Next part of Brixi's lively Organ Concerto No.8 in D major, with Christian Schmitt as soloist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVsRn3TAg9A...feature=related

Pavel Svoboda further delights with the allegro Finale of the F minor Organ Concerto by Johann Baptist Vanhal.

During the romantic period, the organ fell out of favour for some time, even in the Czech Republic; possibly because the organs were generally of a baroque disposition. Almost single-handedly, the famous organist Weidermann, at St Jame's, Prague, created a new style of romantic instrument with the help of Rieger. (Later to become Varhany Krnov, and then Rieger-Kloss under the communist regime and to the present day). Sadly, but triumphantly (at the time), a fine baroque organ was mutilated and a romantic organ created; very much the basis for the current, large organ at St.James', Prague. Unfortunately, the music of Weidermann exists only in manuscript form due to the fac tthat he was out of favour with the communist authorities, as were other superb composers such as Klement Slavicky, who survived with the collaboration of a kindly catholic priest who helped to support he and his wife.

Weidermann was a spectacular organist, who totally revived interest in the organ; especially in and around Prague. He taught, so far as I am aware, Jiri Ropek; the celebrated international organ virtuoso, who visited England a number of times.

Without examples to hand, we must satisfy ourselves with some music from Miloslav Kabelac (1908 - 1979): the Op. 32 - Fantasia d minor.

The organist is Jan Hora, playing at the Martinu Hall in the Lichtenstein Palace, (Academy of arts), Prague.

The "Moto Ostinato" of Petr Eben is well known enough, but it's good to hear it played on an organ appropriate to the music and the region, at the Panny Marie church, Opova.. The organist is Marek Kozák.

Although moving to America during the latter part of his life, Bohuslav Martinu was a composer who earned the respect of a majority; excelling in many different genres and widely acclaimed. His organ work, "Vigilia" was finished by Janacek. We hear it played by, once again, Jiřina Pokorná at the organ of the Concert Hall, Klara, in Cheb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugijxgPDqZU

Josef Klička is probably little known outside the Czech Repblic, but his Fantasia on the Wenceslavian Chorale found a certain acceptance in America and at home, though I undertsnad that the music is no longer available. The musical language is that of extreme chromaticism, reminicent of Max Reger. We hear Jiřina Pokorná at the organ of the Concert Hall, Klara, in Cheb, once again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9PdoRpOJUc...feature=related

Of course, the French are the best improvisers at the organ......aren't they?

Prepare to be stunned!

Improvisation on "Veni Creator" by Marek Kozák playing the Rieger-Kloss organ at Zábřeh in Moravě. (Moravia)

Ooooh! Those high pitched Ciimbels are so.....high-pitched!

No journey to the Czech lands would be complete without the genius of Zelenka, who seemed to wed the counterpoint of Bach to the wild, harmonic progressions of Gesualdo. This is music which often amazes, moves and startles in equal measure, and nowhere is this more apparent than in the choral music:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2qm_n4eTQw...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOJIqRJvHSs...feature=related

Finally a bit of fun. What do Czech organ-builders do when they're bored or need to earn a bit of extra cash?

How about this?

And when it comes to rather jolly Christmas Carols, they don't come any better.

I hope you made it to end. I'll have a rest now, and maybe do much the same thing for the remarkable organ-tradition of Hungary.

MM

This thread reminded me of something I have been meaning to ask for a long time, and someone on this board might know the answer.

Back in the 1960s I heard an old Supraphon record of "Modern [sic] Czech Organ Music" and was very taken with a Toccata by one Milos Sokola. I never heard this piece, nor heard of its composer, before or since then. Is it available in print, or in a more modern recording?

This thread reminded me of something I have been meaning to ask for a long time, and someone on this board might know the answer.

Back in the 1960s I heard an old Supraphon record of "Modern [sic] Czech Organ Music" and was very taken with a Toccata by one Milos Sokola. I never heard this piece, nor heard of its composer, before or since then. Is it available in print, or in a more modern recording?

========================

This piece is known to me, and the compser too, but I don't have a copy.

I'll have a dig around and see if I can finc something. The trouble is, it's a lot trickier to-day, because the recording companies no longer have sound clips in mp3, and finding other recordings is difficult.

I'll certainly be able to find something out about the composer.

Watch this space.

MM

==================

How's that for speed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1OY_eivFR8

There seem to be undertones of the Prokofiev Toccata, and it sound horrendously difficult to my ears.

Full details of this very prolific compser can be found here, including a fair chunk of organ-works:-

http://members.fortunecity.com/ahasweb/mus...comp/sokola.htm

MM

The first clip is a mini-TV documentary/interview with Kateřina Chroboková; a very pretty lady indeed, then appearing at the "Prague Spring" festival, playing a splendid Rieger-Kloss instrument at the Martinu Hall in the Lichtenstein palace (Academy of arts), Prague.

MM

Wow! Yes, she certainly is. And those legs!

Oh, and the music's quite nice, too.

Thanks, this quite interesting !

As for the Olomouc organ, are you sure "ancient stops" are used ?

Fine it is, no doubt -and very well played by the way-. But compare with the sound

of the only restored Engler organ we have:

Pierre

==========================

I'm going from memory here, but I recall reading that only the Engler pipework was used for the Bach; the additions being Schwellwerk and some fairly ferocious chamades etc. (Rieger-Kloss of course)

It's a tremendous instrument, which seems to be all of a musical piece, whatever the origins or authenticity. My feeling is that the instrument should be kept as it is now, irrespective of the Engler significance, and I say that because two truly great organ-builders have contributed to the present instrument, and deciding which is more important could be a folly too far in my view.

If it sounds that good, why not just leave it the way it is?

MM

I'm going from memory here, but I recall reading that only the Engler pipework was used for the Bach; the additions being Schwellwerk and some fairly ferocious chamades etc. (Rieger-Kloss of course)

It's a tremendous instrument, which seems to be all of a musical piece, whatever the origins or authenticity. My feeling is that the instrument should be kept as it is now, irrespective of the Engler significance, and I say that because two truly great organ-builders have contributed to the present instrument, and deciding which is more important could be a folly too far in my view.

If it sounds that good, why not just leave it the way it is?

MM

Indeed, one should give it a thought before attempting anything there.

Pierre

==================

How's that for speed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1OY_eivFR8

There seem to be undertones of the Prokofiev Toccata, and it sound horrendously difficult to my ears.

Full details of this very prolific compser can be found here, including a fair chunk of organ-works:-

http://members.fortunecity.com/ahasweb/mus...comp/sokola.htm

MM

Thank you! It didn't sound quite as I thought I remembered it, but it was nearly half a century ago!

Now why didn't I think of YouTube? D'oohh.

I find I have a fairly recent recording of the Sokola piece. On the Pro Organo label (CD7147) called Fast and Sinister, Scott Bennett on the Reuter organ of Grace Episcopal Church, Charleston, South Carolina. It's dated 2002.

Thanks, Jim - much appreciated. I'll follow that up.

Name of the church sounds familiar - I think we visited when on a choir tour a few years back.

During the romantic period, the organ fell out of favour for some time, even in the Czech Republic; possibly because the organs were generally of a baroque disposition. Almost single-handedly, the famous organist Weidermann, at St Jame's, Prague, created a new style of romantic instrument with the help of Rieger. (Later to become Varhany Krnov, and then Rieger-Kloss under the communist regime and to the present day). Sadly, but triumphantly (at the time), a fine baroque organ was mutilated and a romantic organ created; very much the basis for the current, large organ at St.James', Prague. Unfortunately, the music of Weidermann exists only in manuscript form due to the fact that he was out of favour with the communist authorities, as were other superb composers such as Klement Slavicky, who survived with the collaboration of a kindly catholic priest who helped to support he and his wife.

<snip>

Josef Klička is probably little known outside the Czech Repblic, but his Fantasia on the Wenceslavian Chorale found a certain acceptance in America and at home, though I understand that the music is no longer available. The musical language is that of extreme chromaticism, reminicent of Max Reger. We hear Jiřina Pokorná at the organ of the Concert Hall, Klara, in Cheb, once again.

<snip>

I'm pleased to say I've been watching for more Wiedermann, and I think some more music of his is finally being published. I was searching on WorldCat recently and found either 2 or 3 more volumes of his organ music, so I expect now we simply await someone to record the music. I have some recordings - perhaps a total of 5 pieces so far, my favorite being the cheeky "Impetuoso"

As for Josef Klička, those scores are harder to come by, although I do have a copy of the Wenceslavian Chorale, long since passed into the Public Domain (so if anyone wants a PDF, simply ask!)

MM does us a great service in bringing up these works (and indeed, the entire subject of Eastern European Organ culture). There are simply a staggering number of works lying unknown from that part of the world, many of which certainly do not deserve the oblivion they have been consigned to. I'm knee- deep in finishing off the Organ Symphonie book, so I won't have time to write or research much about this right now, but I'll dig up some things when I have a free moment or two.

Best,

- g

Just a quick update on Wiedermann - 2 volumes available from Český Rozhlas, 2007.

Vol 1:

Toccata diatonica --

Tristezza --

Capricietto --

Ave Maria in H --

Ó, Beránku Boží, Kriste! --

Jak růže krásná z Jericha --

Pastorale frygico --

Allegro maestoso --

Andante pastorale --

Finale.

Vol 2:

Preludium in e moll --

Humoreska --

Monolog --

Dumka --

Nevídaná, neslýchaná --

Tisíckrát bud̕ pozdravena --

Andante quasi pastorale --

Lístek do památníku --

Miletínský menuet --

Burlesca.

These join the volume available from Panton (1984):

Toccata mi minore (1948) --

Preludio corale I : Anděl Gabriel --

Preludio corale II : Ó, hlavo, plná trýzně --

Notturno (1942) --

Impetuoso (1933)

So, now quite a rich selection of music available from Wiedermann

Best,

- G

A bit 'further over' but Eastern European still - does anyone play anything by this composer?

A

========================

I shudder to think how much Polish organ-music was destroyed in WW2, and finding almost anything often proves fruitless. I do play a few bits by Jan of Lublin, which is very early music indeed.

Maybe 2 or 3 years back, I mentioned the music of Marian Sawa, and put people in contact with an organist/professor in Poland who had the scores, played the music and was trying to promote the music.

I'm particularly pleased that the Marian Sawa Society have now got their house in order, judging by the web-site, and I would certainly commend this excellent composer to anyone. His death was rather utimely. but he left music of quality which deserves to be known.

Here is a list of his works:-

•"Małe preludia" na fisharmonię (1962)

•"Kwartet smyczkowy" (1967)

•"Miniatury" na organy (1967)

•"Sonata na organy" (1967)

•"Toccata i passacaglia" na organy (1967)

•"Oktet instrumentalny" (1968)

•"Dialogi w dawnych stylach" na organy (1968)

•"Et in terra" na organy (1968)

•"Etiudy chorałowe" na organy (1968)

•"Tryptyk Oliwski" na organy (1968)

•"Muzyka organowa" na dwoje wykonawców (1968)

•"Muzyka organowa" w 3 częściach (1968)

•"A czemuż to", kolęda na głos solowy i organy (1968)

•"Symfonia koncertująca" na chór, organy i orkiestrę (1968)

•"Assemblage" na orkiestrę (1969)

•"Capriccio concertante" na organy (1969)

•"Ciaccona quasi una fantasia" na organy (1969)

•"Cztery małe utwory" na organy (1969)

•"Legnicka rapsodia" na chór mieszany (1970)

•"Ave!" na organy (1970-71)

•"B-A-C-H" na organy (1971)

•"Aria" na organy (1971)

•"Fantazja ludowa" na organy (1971)

•"Passacaglia" na organy (1971)

•"Concertino" na organy i taśmę (1971-73)

•"Etiuda koncertowa" na organy (1972)

•"Musica concertante a due essecutori" na organy i pozytyw (1972)

•"Toccata" na organy (1973)

•"Dwanaście etiud organowych" (1974)

•"Dwanaście etiud na pedał solo" (1974)

•"Dwanaście mini-fug organowych" (1974)

•"Osiem trio-kanonów" na organy (1974)

•"Quasi concertante" na organy i zespół instrumentalny (1974)

•"Z gwiazdą" na głos i fortepian (1974)

•"A la rondo" na organy (1975)

•"Assentiment" na organy (1975)

•"D'Accord" na organy (1975)

•"Responsoria na Boże Ciało" na chór mieszany (1977)

•"Responsoria na Boże Ciało" na chór męski (1977)

•"Antyfony" na organy (1978)

•"Dyptyk warszawski" na organy (1978)

•"Lamentacje" na organy (1978)

•"De herdertjes lagen bij nachte", kolęda flamandzka na tenor i chór męski (1978)

•"Malowanki" na 2 trąbki i 2 puzony (1979)

•"Bogurodzica quasi fantasia" na organy (1979)

•"Fantazja pastoralna" na organy (1979)

•"Fantazje organowe" (1979)

•"Duszo chrystusowa" na baryton solo, trąbkę i organy (1979)

•"Ave Maria" na baryton solo, trąbkę, dzwony i organy (1979)

•"Fantazja 'Gorzkie żale' " na organy (1980)

•"Partita Maryjna 'Matko Najświętsza' " na organy (1980)

•"Partita Maryjna 'Matko Niebieskiego Pana' " na organy (1980)

•"Partita Wielkanocna 'Chrystus zmartwychwstał jest' " na organy (1980)

•"Partita Wielkanocna 'Wesoły nam dziś dzień nastał' " na organy (1980)

•"Partita Wielkanocna 'Alleluja! Jezus żyje' " na organy (1980)

•"Partita Wielkopostna 'Jezu Chryste Panie miły' " na organy (1980)

•"Partita Wielkopostna 'Rozmyślajmy dziś'&nbdp;" na organy (1980)

•"Witraże" na organy (1980)

•"Ave Maria" na chór męski (1980)

•"Ave Regina" na chór męski (1980)

•"Ecce Panis Angelorum" na chór męski (1980)

•"Gloriosus Deus" na chór męski (1980)

•"Regina caeli laetare" na chór męski (1980)

•"Sub tuum praesidium" na chór męski (1980)

•"Te Deum" na chór męski (1980)

•"Miserere mei Deus" na chór męski (1980)

•"Ave Maria" na tenor, baryton i sześciogłosowy chór męski (1980)

•"Miserere mei Deus" na tenor solo i chór męski (1980)

•"Alma Redemptoris Mater" na chór żeński i chór męski (1980)

•"Regina Caeli" na głos solowy, chór żeński i chór męski (1980)

•"Sub Tuum Praesidium" na chór mieszany i organy (1980)

•"Litaniae Lauretanae" na chór mieszany i organy (1980)

•"Horarium in honorem immaculatae Virginis Mariae" na głosy solowe, chór i organy (1980)

•"Czego chcą dzieci świata", małe oratorium na głosy solowe, głos recytujący, chór mieszany i orkiestrę (1980)

•"Moje pejzaże" na instrumenty perkusyjne i fortepian (1981)

•"Quasi concertante" na fortepian (1981)

•"Scherzino" na organy (1981)

•"Confiteor" na chór mieszany (1981)

•"O Sacrum Convivium" na głosy solowe (1981)

•"Stabat Mater" na chór mieszany (1981)

•"Dzwony cerkiewne" na chór męski (1981)

•"Boże jestem twoim więźniem" na chór męski (1981)

•"Oj daj mi powrócić" na chór męski (1981)

•"Ojcze nasz" na chór męski (1981)

•"Omni die" na chór męski (1981)

•"Beatus vir" na 3 głosy solowe i chór męski (1981)

•"Benedic anima mea" na głos solowy i chór męski (1981)

•"Pieśń Kociłapciów" na 3 głosy równe (1981)

•"Magnificat" na głosy solowe, chór żeński i chór męski (1981)

•"Stabat Mater" na chór mieszany i organy (1981)

•"Suita Wielkanocna" na chór męski i organy (1981)

•"W góralskiej szopce" na głos solowy, recytatorów, chór męski i dzwonki (1981)

•"Pascha nostra" na trąbkę i organy (1982)

•"Oremus" na organy (1982)

•"Matko pszeniczna" na chór mieszany (1982)

•"Pater Noster" na chór mieszany (1982)

•"Lacrimosa" na chór męski (1982)

•"Regina Coeli" na chór męski (1982)

•"Chrystus otwiera ci oczy" na głos solowy, kwartet męski i chór męski (1982)

•"Pater Noster" na głos solowy i chór męski (1982)

•"Laetatus sum" na chór mieszany i organy (1982)

•"Msza Polska" na chór mieszany i organy (1982)

•"Alleluja" na chór męski i organy (1982)

•"Requiem dla uciśnionych" na głosy solowe, dwa chóry męskie, instrumenty perkusyjne i organy (1982)

•"Ave Regina Caeli" na puzon i organy (1983)

•"Scherzino" na fortepian (1983)

•"Suita koncertująca" na organy i fortepian (1983)

•"Choros (dla Andrzeja Chorosińskiego)" na organy (1983)

•"Fin (dla Józefa Serafina)" na organy (1983)

•"Malan (dla Jarosława Malanowicza)" na organy (1983)

•"Rubi (dla Joachima Grubicha)" na organy (1983)

•"Arabeska stylizowana" na chór mieszany (1983)

•"Jarzębinowy bal" na chór mieszany (1983)

•"Pieśń mojej nadziei" na chór mieszany (1983)

•"Litania" na chór męski (1983)

•"Missa quarta" na chór męski (1983)

•"Wiersze śpiewane", 5 pieśni do słów Leopolda Staffa na 3 głosy równe (1983)

•"Msza łacińska" na chór mieszany i organy (1983)

•"Bonjour! Monsieur Chopin" na solistów, chór mieszany i orkiestrę (1983)

•"Sonata na organy" (1985)

•"Ave Maris Stella" na chór męski (1985)

•"De Wonderroos van cassia" na chór męski (1985)

•"Suplikacje" na chór męski (1985)

•"Ave Maris Stella" na głos solowy i chór męski (1985)

•"Stabat Mater" na baryton solo i organy (1985)

•"Missa brevis" na chór męski (1986)

•"In Monte Oliveti" na chór męski (1986)

•"Tryptyk" na puzon i organy (1986)

•"Ecce lignum crucis" na organy (1986)

•"Fantazja nordycka" na organy (1986)

•"Fantazja 'Nie opuszczaj nas' " na organy (1986)

•"Te Deum" na organy (1986)

•"O lux beata caelitum" na chór mieszany (1986)

•"Ad multos annos" na chór męski (1986)

•"Adoro Te Devote" na chór męski (1986)

•"Adeste fideles" na chór męski (1986)

•"Beatus vir" na chór męski (1986)

•"O filii et filiae" na chór męski (1986)

•"O Panie jedynie Ty" na chór męski (1986)

•"Ave Verum Corpus" na tenor, baryton i chór męski (1986)

•"Niebiańskie słowo" na chór mieszany i organy (1986)

•"Sacris solemnis" na chór mieszany i organy (1986)

•"Inviolata" na chór żeński i organy (1986)

•"Pregiera semplice" na głosy solowe, chór męski i organy (1986)

•"Topofonium" na klawesyn (1986)

•"B-A-C-H" na organy (1987)

•"Taneczne obrazki" na organy (1987)

•"Reincarnation" na organy (1987)

•"Modlitwa o uświęcenie życia" na chór mieszany (1987)

•"Litania" na chór męski (1987)

•"Litania polska" na sopran solo i chór męski (1987)

•"Modlitwa o łaskę uświęcenia życia" na chór mieszany i organy (1987)

•"Fresk" na flet i organy (1988)

•"Quadrivium" na flet, obój, fagot i klawesyn (1988)

•"Agata" na organy (1988)

•"Ewa" na organy (1988)

•"Magda" na organy (1988)

•"Adoro Te Devote" na organy (1988)

•"Oda" na organy (1988)

•"Surrexit Christus hodie" na organy (1988)

•"Sekwens" na organy (1988)

•"Sonata na organy" (1988)

•"Makamy organowe" (1988)

•"Hej! Pod krywaniem" na chór męski (1988)

•"W jaśminowym ogrodzie" na 3 głosy równe (1988)

•"W koleinie" na 3 głosy równe (1988)

•"Magnificat" na głosy solowe, chór męski i organy (1988)

•"Jesu meine Freude" na organy (1988-90)

•"Fantazja 'Sansara' " na organy (1989)

•"Hommage à J. Pachelbel" na organy (1989)

•"Trzy improperia" na organy (1989)

•"Jutrznia" na organy (1989)

•"Alleluja" na chór męski (1989)

•"Alma Redemptoris Mater" na chór męski (1989)

•"Ave Regina caelorum" na chór męski (1989)

•"Hejnał WZCH" na chór męski (1989)

•"Laudate Dominum" na chór męski (1989)

•"Rex Pacificus" na chór męski (1989)

•"Ave Maria" na baryton solo i chór męski (1989)

•"Kolędowanie" na tenor, chór męski i organy (1989)

•"Canzona" na obój i organy (1990)

•"Hommage à Cesar Franck" na organy (1990)

•"Canzona" na organy (1990)

•"Hymne Der Stant Sundern" na organy (1990)

•"Gaude Polonia" na organy (1990)

•"Alleluja! Zdrowaś Maryjo" na chór męski (1990)

•"Bogarodzico! Dziewico" na chór męski (1990)

•"Duszo Chrystusowa" na chór męski (1990)

•"Tyś wielką chlubą" na chór męski (1990)

•"Sześć psalmów" na chór męski (1990)

•"Pięć pastorałek do słów H. CenarskieJ" na chór męski (1990)

•"O Panie Nasz" na głosy równe (1990)

•"Missa brevis" na chór męski i organy (1990)

•"Nieszpory o świętym Andrzeju Boboli" na chór męski unisono i organy (1990)

•"Ave Maria" na tenor, chór męski i organy (1990)

•"De herdertjes lagen bij nachte", kolęda flamandzka na chór męski i orkiestrę dętą (1990)

•"Invocazione" na organy (1991)

•"Czego chcesz od nas Panie" na chór męski (1991)

•"Ego sum Panis" na chór męski (1991)

•"Krwi przenajświętsza" na chór męski (1991)

•"Alleluja" na chór męski (1991)

•"Ojcze Andrzeju" na chór męski (1991)

•"Pieśń do Boga" na chór męski (1991)

•"Laudate Pueri", psalm na chór męski (1991)

•"Veni Sancte Spiritus" na sopran solo i organy (1991)

•"Dwa offertoria" na sopran solo i organy (1991)

•"Koncert na organy solo" (1992)

•"Krasnochmielak" na organy (1992)

•"Małe preludia" na organy (1992)

•"Ave Maria" na głos solowy i organy (1992)

•"Ave Maria II" na głos solowy i organy (1992)

•"Concerto breve na organy i orkiestrę nr 1" (1993)

•"Trzy mazurki" na fortepian (1993)

•"Avec les amis" na organy (1993)

•"Fant" na organy (1993)

•"Gloria Tibi Trinitas" na organy (1993)

•"Trzy preludia" na organy (1993)

•"Veni Sancte Spiritus" na organy (1993)

•"Adeste fideles" na chór mieszany (1993)

•"Gloria Tibi Trinitas" na chór mieszany (1993)

•"Jam sol recedit igneus" na chór mieszany (1993)

•"Jam przyszedł świadczyć" na chór mieszany (1993)

•"Jesu dulcis memoria" na chór mieszany (1993)

•"Trzy wersety allelujatyczne" na chór mieszany (1993)

•"Veni sancte spiritus" na 2 chóry mieszane (1993)

•"Anima Christi" na chór mieszany (1994)

•"Mazurek" na fortepian (1994)

•"Pian-Org" na organy i fortepian (1994)

•"Deo gratias" na organy (1994)

•"Hejnał" na organy (1994)

•"Hymnus in honorem Sancti Petri et Pauli" na organy (1994)

•"Małe preludia" na fisharmonię (1994)

•"Preludia eucharystyczne" na organy (1994)

•"Sine nomine" na organy (1994)

•"Toccata festiva" na organy (1994)

•"Ave Maria" na chór mieszany (1994)

•"Ave Maris Stella" na chór mieszany (1994)

•"Msza Polska Maryjna" na chór mieszany (1994)

•"Msza Eucharystyczna" na chór mieszany (1994)

•"O Sacrum Convivium" na chór mieszany (1994)

•"Ja cię zawsze będę strzegł" na głosy równe (1994)

•"Msza Eucharystyczna" na chór mieszany i organy (1994)

•"Msza Maryjna" na chór mieszany i organy (1994)

•"Sancta Catharina" na chór mieszany i organy (1994)

•"Jam sol recedit igneus" na sopran solo i organy (1994)

•"Modlitwa" na baryton solo i organy (1994)

•"Ozdobo Cypru Święta Katarzyno" na głos solowy i organy (1994)

•"Sancta Catharina" na głos i organy (1994)

•"Rex Pacificus" na chór mieszany, organy i 12 trąbek (1994)

•"W sakramencie utajony" na chór męski (1994)

•"Koncert organowy nr 2" (1995)

•"Arabeska" na wiolonczelę (1995)

•"Burleska" na klawesyn (1995)

•"Con Fuoco" na skrzypce i organy (1995)

•"Largo" na skrzypce i organy (1995)

•"Missa 'Orbis factor' " na klawesyn lub organy (1995)

•"Sekwens" na akordeon (1995)

•"Sonata hafis" na fortepian (1995)

•"Sonatina" na organy, klawesyn, fortepian lub akordeon (1995)

•"Trzy elegie" na organy lub fortepian (1995)

•"All'Antico" na organy (1995)

•"Fresk gregoriański" na organy (1995)

•"Fuga-Bolero" na organy (1995)

•"Orbis factor" na organy (1995)

•"Noël" na organy (1995)

•"Kalejdoskop" na chór mieszany (1995)

•"Rex pacificus" na chór mieszany (1995)

•"Salvator mundi" na chór mieszany (1995)

•"Maria Mater Gratiae", tryptyk maryjny na sopran solo i chór mieszany (1995)

•"Sub Tuum Praesidium" na chór mieszany (1995)

•"Virgo Parens Christi" na chór mieszany (1995)

•"Czemu płaczesz rzewnie" na chór męski (1995)

•"Modlitwa" na głosy męskie (1995)

•"Święty Eugeniuszu de Mazenod" na chór męski (1995)

•"O Gloriosa Domina" na chór żeński (1995)

•"Dyptyk Gnieźnieński" na głosy solowe, chór mieszany i organy (1995)

•"Królowo nasza, Matko pocieszenia" na chór mieszany i organy (1995)

•"Bądź pozdrowiona Pani Święta" na głos solowy i organy (1995)

•"Confitebor Tibi" na sopran i organy (1995)

•"Białym Orłem wzleć" na chór mieszany i orkiestrę dętą (1995)

•"Koncert organowy nr 3 'Legnicki' " (1996)

•"Fuga-Bolero" na 2 fortepiany (1996)

•"Entrée" na kwartet smyczkowy (1996)

•"Hymn a tre" na skrzypce, altówkę i fagot (1996)

•"Rapsod" na fortepian (1996)

•"In nomine Domini" na trąbkę i puzon (1996)

•"Fantazja Jasnogórska" na organy (1996)

•"Fantazja 'Regina Poloniae' " na organy (1996)

•"Hymnus II" na organy (1996)

•"Sekwencja I 'Dies irae' " na organy (1996)

•"Sekwencja II 'Victimae paschali laudes' " na organy (1996)

•"Pastorale" na organy (1996)

•"Liauba" na organy (1996)

•"Fantazja chorałowa 'Toi qui disposes' " na organy (1996)

•"Scherzino" na organy dla dwóch wykonawców (1996)

•"Cantate Domino in laetitia" na chór mieszany (1996)

•"Ego sum panis vivus" na chór mieszany (1996)

•"Anima mea" na chór mieszany (1996)

•"Hymnus 'Gentis Poloniae Gloria' " na chór mieszany (1996)

•"In jubilatione" na chór mieszany (1996)

•"Laudate Dominum - Alleluja" na chór mieszany (1996)

•"Matka Boska zna Warszawę" na chór mieszany (1996)

•"Dwa motety na Boże Narodzenie" na chór mieszany (1996)

•"Popule meus" na chór mieszany (1996)

•"Kantata na Boże Narodzenie" na głosy solowe, chór mieszany i organy (1996)

•"Laudate Dominum" na chór mieszany i organy (1996)

•"Regina caeli" na chór mieszany i organy (1996)

•"Tu es Petrus" [wersja I], kantata na głosy solowe, chór mieszany i organy (1996)

•"Pieśń do św. Brygidy" na głos i organy (1996)

•"Tu Trinitas Unitas" na sopran i organy (1996)

•"Sekwencja na Boże Narodzenie" na sopran, alt, bas i organy (1996)

•"Tu es Petrus" [wersja II], kantata na głosy solowe, chór mieszany, organy i orkiestrę (1996)

•"Intrata z Hejnałem" na organy (1997)

•"Ad Jubilationem" na organy dla dwóch wykonawców (1997)

•"Jubilate Deo" na cztery ręce na organy (1997)

•"Carmina in honorem Sancti Adalberti" na chór mieszany (1997)

•"Modlitwa wieczorna" na chór mieszany (1997)

•"Pax Vobis" na chór mieszany (1997)

•"Salve Regina" na chór mieszany (1997)

•"Matko Pomocy Nieustającej" na chór mieszany i organy (1997)

•"Terra tremuit" na chór mieszany i organy (1997)

•"Carmina fratribus dicata" na sopran, 2 saksofony i organy (1997)

•"Carmina in honorem Sancti Adalberti" na 2 głosy solowe i organy (1997)

•"Sancta Caecilia", oratorium na sopran solo, chór chłopięcy, chór męski, chór mieszany, dwoje organów, dzwony i smyczki (1997)

•"Koncert organowy nr 4" (1997-2002)

•"Koncert organowy" (1998)

•"Introitus" na organy i puzon (1998)

•"RAF" na klawesyn (1998)

•"Suita pieśni maryjnych" na 2 puzony, tubę i organy (1998)

•"Entrada festiva" na organy (1998)

•"Salve Regina" na organy (1998)

•"Spotkanie z 'Kalinką' ", burleska na organy (1998)

•"Hymnus Academiae Balticae" na chór mieszany (1998)

•"Oremus pro pontifice" na chór mieszany (1998)

•"Crucem tuam" na chór męski (1998)

•"Domine exaudi" na chór męski (1998)

•"Pax Vobis" na chór męski (1998)

•"Ubi Caritas" na chór męski (1998)

•"Moja Polska" na chór męski (1998)

•"Norwidowe dumania" na baryton solo i fortepian (1998)

•"Psalm 96" na kontratenor i organy (1998)

•"Cantate Domino", kantata na sopran, bas, chór mieszany, dwoje organów i smyczki (1998)

•"Via Crucis" na sopran, baryton, głos recytujący, chór mieszany i orkiestrę dętą (1999)

•"Intermezzo" na orkiestrę (1999)

•"Dyptyk" na obój i organy (1999)

•"Fantazja" na saksofon i organy (1999)

•"Suita stylizowana" na obój i organy (1999)

•"Sonata na organy nr 2" (1999)

•"Tota pulchra es Maria" na chór mieszany (1999)

•"Laudate Dominum" na 4-głosowy chór żeński (1999)

•"Pater Noster - fiat voluntas tua" na 4-głosowy chór żeński (1999)

•"Koncert na saksofon i organy" (1999)

•"Droga Krzyżowa", oratorium (1999)

•"Ver ridet" na chór mieszany (2000)

•"Góroliki" na orkiestrę smyczkową (2000)

•"Postludium 'Krzyżu Święty' " na organy (2000)

•"Preludium 'Ach mój Jezu' " na organy (2000)

•"Santa Barbara - Fantazja S-A-B-A" na organy (2000)

•"Ecce Homo" na chór mieszany (2000)

•"Laus Deo" na chór mieszany (2000)

•"Magnificat" na sopran i organy (2000)

•"Sonant" na trąbkę i organy (2001)

•"Missa brevis (Verbum Caro)" na chór mieszany i organy (2001)

•"Fantazja chorałowa" na organy (2001)

•"Canzonetta" na klarnet B, skrzypce i wiolonczelę (2001)

•"Toccata" na organy (2001)

•"Surrexit Christus Hodie... Alleluja!" na bas i chór mieszany a cappella (2001)

•"Tryptyk o św. Klemensie Hofbauerze-Dworzaku" na baryton solo, chór mieszany i organy (2001)

•"Nad brzegiem Wisły" na głos solo i organy (2001)

•"Largo" na skrzypce, klarnet i wiolonczelę (2002)

•"Ave Maria" na 3 głosy równe (2002)

•"Ad Jubilationem" na chór mieszany (2002)

•"Trzy dialogi" na skrzypce i organy (2002)

•"Quarto Giorni" na klarnet B, skrzypce i wiolonczelę (2002)

•"Preludia na temat polskich pieśni kościelnych" na organy (2002)

•"Fantazja amerykańska na tematy amerykańskie" na organy (2002)

•"Ave regina caelorum" na organy (2002)

•Preludium i Fuga "Greensleave" na organy (2002)

•"Trzy obertaski" na fortepian (2002)

•"In honorem servi Dei Stephani Cardinalis Wyszyński" na chór mieszany i sopran (2002)

•"Pasterzu Kościoła" na 3 głosy równe (2002)

•"Psalm 62" na 3 głosy równe (2002)

•"I-VI Alleluja" na 3 głosy równe (2002)

•"Missa in resurectione" na chór mieszany i organy (2002)

•"Pasterzu dobry" na głos i organy (2002)

•"De profundis" na sopran i organy (2002)

•"Ciebie Boga wychwalamy" na 3 głosy równe (2002)

•"Toccata organowa BA-MA" na 2 wykonawców (2003)

•"Fantazja 'Święty Boże' " na organy (2003)

•"Ave Maris Stella" na organy (2003)

•"Dwie rapsodie organowe" (2003)

•"Lajkonik" na skrzypce solo (2003)

•"Smutna melodia" na fortepian (2003)

•"Krakowiak" na fortepian (2003)

•"Furioso" na fortepian (2003)

•"Crux fidelis" na chór mieszany (2003)

•"In monte Oliveti" na chór mieszany (2003)

•"Stabat Mater" na chór mieszany, żeński, głosy solowe, fortepian i organy (2003)

•"Nativitas Mundi", oratorium na sopran, mezzosopran, głos recytujący, 2 chóry żeńskie, chór męski i orkiestrę (2004)

•"Duet" na flet i organy (2004)

•"Msza do św. Huberta" na róg prosty i organy (2004)

•"Studium" na wibrafon, 2 talerze i dzwonek (2004)

•"Fantazja myśliwska na temat 'Pojedziemy na łów' " na organy (2004)

•"Dante" na organy (2004)

•"Fantazja śląska" na organy (2004)

•"Magnificat" na 4-głosowy chór żeński i organy (2004)

•"Cor Jesu" na 3 głosy równe i organy (2004)

•"Wyjrzałam na ulicę", walc na głos i fortepian (2004)

•"Toccata i fuga" na organy solo (2004)

•"Missa Claromontana" na chór mieszany, organy i kotły (2005)

MM

Just a quick update on Wiedermann - 2 volumes available from Český Rozhlas, 2007.

Vol 1:

Toccata diatonica --

Tristezza --

Capricietto --

Ave Maria in H --

Ó, Beránku Boží, Kriste! --

Jak růže krásná z Jericha --

Pastorale frygico --

Allegro maestoso --

Andante pastorale --

Finale.

Vol 2:

Preludium in e moll --

Humoreska --

Monolog --

Dumka --

Nevídaná, neslýchaná --

Tisíckrát bud̕ pozdravena --

Andante quasi pastorale --

Lístek do památníku --

Miletínský menuet --

Burlesca.

These join the volume available from Panton (1984):

Toccata mi minore (1948) --

Preludio corale I : Anděl Gabriel --

Preludio corale II : Ó, hlavo, plná trýzně --

Notturno (1942) --

Impetuoso (1933)

So, now quite a rich selection of music available from Wiedermann

Best,

- G

From this I derive a certain pleasure, because my interest was sparked by meeting and hearing Jiri Ropek many years ago, when I was a mere tadpole. Ropek was a pupil of Weidermann, and later on, I met Petr Eben when he was teaching in Manchester at the RNCM.

Those chance meetings and hearings lit a bit of a fuse, and as the walls came tumbling down so-to-speak, I spent a lot of time searching for things and finding out as much as I could.

It is very satisfying to see that at least some of the music is being published, and that with things like YouTube, the music is now out there to be heard......at least a small proportion of it. I find it very exciting, and really what Europe should be about, rather than merely money.

Now, should anyone know a good MezzoSoprano, let them discover the Psalm settings of Weidermann for organ and voice. The harmonies are nothing short of ravishing, and when I heard some of them, I had that "hairs on the back of the neck" moment. Not just good music, this is exceptional music.

When I hear some of Weidermann's works, I can see why Irena Chribkova (St Jame's, Prague), described him as "that most charismatic of organists." He certainly drew huge crowds to the weekly organ-recitals, and broadcast a lot on Czech national radio.

As our American cousin "Giwro" points out, there is a vast repertoire of quality music waiting to be discovered from Central Europe.

MM

Here's a gem from the pen of the Moravian composer, the late Klement Slavicky; father of Milan Slavicky.

Ecce Homo, played on the Adema Orgel at St Bavo (TC) Basilica, Haarlem, NL.

http://orgelconcerten.ncrv.nl/orgel/song/play/3991501

This is the composer the communists treated badly, whom I mentioned earlier.

MM

Talking about Czech organ music and organists from this country, one shouldn't forget to mention Jaroslav Tůma, organ professor at the Prague Academy of Music, as well as one of his successful students, Pavel Kohout. Their websites offer lots of additional information. I had the pleasure of meeting and listening to both of them - truly fine musicians. As well as all the others, who've been mentioned here.

Talking about Czech organ music and organists from this country, one shouldn't forget to mention Jaroslav Tůma, organ professor at the Prague Academy of Music, as well as one of his successful students, Pavel Kohout. Their websites offer lots of additional information. I had the pleasure of meeting and listening to both of them - truly fine musicians. As well as all the others, who've been mentioned here.

=======================

Thank you very much for the additional information, which constantly comes to light the more I read and study. I was aware of Jaroslav Tuma as a performer, but not as a composer. I have to say that the entire region, from Poland to the Czech Repbulic and Slavic countries are very poorly organised in promoting their considerable treasures, but perhaps the situation may improve.

Why this should be, I am not quite sure, unless it's just a lack of marketing expertise or a certain srtistic insularity.

I am genuinely shocked that many of the best works are no longer in print, and very difficult to get hold of.

I have to confess that my knowledge of Slovenia is very limited; possibly as a result of the changes following the break-up of the former Yugoslavia. Many years ago, I had the pleasure of driving around Istria, and seeing some marvellous works of art in small villages, as well as a pleasant visit to Lipiza and the cathedral at Lubliana.

My journey to Romania is best overlooked, even though it was memorably difficult, with bribery and corruption all around me!

Why not give us a brief resume of Slovenian organ-music/composers/performers?

MM