Mander Organ Builders Forum

Blood Pressure Warning!

AJJ

I have just taken posession of PRCD 1042 . Richard Lea playing nothing much of which I had previously encountered (on the organ at any rate) on the iconic Walker at Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral. Superb playing, amazing sounds and at least two pieces that I am now after copies of. Get it direct from Priory at £9.99 + p/p - its a bargain! Maybe not for the purists (no G compass here) but my journey home from work today was nicely filled and the car speakers much exercised.

A

I have just taken posession of PRCD 1042 . Richard Lea playing nothing much of which I had previously encountered (on the organ at any rate) on the iconic Walker at Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral. Superb playing, amazing sounds and at least two pieces that I am now after copies of. Get it direct from Priory at £9.99 + p/p - its a bargain! Maybe not for the purists (no G compass here) but my journey home from work today was nicely filled and the car speakers much exercised.

A

=======================

Well, it's good to see someone playing music by the late and very prolific Polish composer Marian Sawa.

The Toccata by Jon Kristian Fjyellsted has been recorded a few times; first by David M Patrick at Gloucester Cathedral; resident in Norway I understand.

The following link has better sound:-

The Toccata is Opus 1 by this young composer, and I'm fairly sure that he was about 19 or 20 when he wrote it. He was born in 1984.

He's also written a Fanfare and a Festive Prelude on "Be thou my vision"; neither of which I have heard.

MM

The Toccata by Jon Kristian Fjyellsted (incididentally dedicated to David Patrick) is avalible on IMSLP. I guess this must be the composers wish, as it has been there for a couple of years

http://imslp.org/wiki/Toccata_for_Organ_%2...Jon_Kristian%29

It often reminds me of the Bolleman toccata from Suite Gothique, but this should definitely not be taken as criticisim! I would be interested to hear more from this composer

A

Glad you approve. Mr. Leas choice of items is always forward looking and dynamic, both in his recitals and recital work. The level of musicianship he employs is of the highest standard. Finally, his registration skills and sensitivity as an accompanist should be regarded as object lessons in themselves.

These views are my own, and I would not expect them to be endorsed by fellow perusers of these forums. All views and opinions have to be subjective and arbitary by their very nature.

Glad you approve. Mr. Leas choice of items is always forward looking and dynamic, both in his recitals and recital work. The level of musicianship he employs is of the highest standard. Finally, his registration skills and sensitivity as an accompanist should be regarded as object lessons in themselves.

These views are my own, and I would not expect them to be endorsed by fellow perusers of these forums. All views and opinions have to be subjective and arbitary by their very nature.

The fact that you sometimes get fiercely contrary replies to some of your posts should not put you so much on the defensive, dear sir or madam!

There are several of us 'out there' with a very high opinion of Richard Lea's skills. You can certainly count me in that number - he's a thoroughly nice guy too* - not always the case in seriously good players.

DIGRESSION ALERT

*Amongst other things, he has never been known to bang the manuals of an historic organ with his fists and break trackers (as a seriously famous organist apparently did recently 'down south'). Wow, what a story that one is!!!!!

Guest Patrick Coleman
DIGRESSION ALERT

*Amongst other things, he has never been known to bang the manuals of an historic organ with his fists and break trackers (as a seriously famous organist apparently did recently 'down south'). Wow, what a story that one is!!!!!

Do tell!

There are several of us 'out there' with a very high opinion of Richard Lea's skills. You can certainly count me in that number - he's a thoroughly nice guy too.

As a post script to my original post - I have listened to this cd perhaps more than any other over the last week or so and each time I do I hear something new. I have the same player's Mathias set and the same skills are displayed there too - tight rhythmic control, sensitive 'musicality' and artistic manipulation of the Met. organ's resources. Recent contact with Richard Lea has been pleasant and also fruitful in locating at least one of the pieces - his search for new repertoire is totally contagious! Priory have scored a hit with this one - though there is the odd typo on the insert which is a bit irritating!

A