Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Organist Entertains

handsoff

There are times when Nigel Ogden excels himself, and I thoroughly enjoyed this week's programme with Carlo Curley.

I particuarly enjoyed listening to Carlo and some great music, and it made me realise that I am correct in suggesting that he is one of our greatest recitalists, although I accept that everyone who subscribes to this discussion Board will not agree.

I was delighted that Carlo mentioned his Ally Pally concerts when he played the Allen organ and persuaded thousands of people to attend the Sunday afternoon concerts.(I was there) In the 1970's. He also mentioned the great acoustics. Unfortunately Carlo did not mention his recent concert in the Ally Pally Theatre, but I know how happy he was to return to the Palace even if it was not in The Great Hall.

Well done Nigel and Curley.

Colin Richell

===========================

Yes, Carlo was his usual entertaining self, but for me, the moment I most enjoyed was not audio, but his advice to student organists, in the days when he taught organ.

"You should listen carefully to what the top theatre organists do......masters of voice-leading and expression.....people like Lynn Larsen (etc)."

I'm paraphrasing, but he delightfully went on to say that the students would say something like:-

"But I just want to play urtext this and urtext that."

Carlo then said, "I just wanted to slap them!" :P

As someone who has spent a bit of time practising on a Wurlitzer, (as well as Fr Willis, Harrison and various Baroque instruments), I knew EXACTLY what he meant, and I have to say that the cinema organ taught me at least as much as playing Bach on old organs in the Netherlands......but no-one understands, because they've not done it.

That said, I wouldn't class Carlo as one of my favourite Bach performers, even if he did produce a splendid recording some years back, playing a fine Marcussen in Denmark. On the other hand, his romantic expertise is undeniable, and he is, of course, a great communicator and ambassador for the organ.

Another good programme from TOE and Nigel Ogden.

MM

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The show can do no wrong in my book - tomorrow night's features my Peter and the Wolf - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014gk1n

Next week I go up to do an interview, and that will go out (with a bit more music, hopefully from Carnival of the Animals) on either of the two Tuesdays which follow.

Who says an 1850's Walker can't stand alongside Wurlitzers on the Light Programme. Cheers!

The show can do no wrong in my book - tomorrow night's features my Peter and the Wolf - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014gk1n

Next week I go up to do an interview, and that will go out (with a bit more music, hopefully from Carnival of the Animals) on either of the two Tuesdays which follow.

Who says an 1850's Walker can't stand alongside Wurlitzers on the Light Programme. Cheers!

================================

Well, J W Walker were more Compton than Wurlitzer. They did quite a bit of sub-contract work from JC during the inter-war years and the great depression.....kept them alive apparently.

Looking forward to "Pete an' da Wolf"

MM

I listened to the Organist Entertains.

Liked the "Peter an' da Wolf," but wondered why anyone should choose to transcribe it to organ/piano etc.

If it's any consolation, I was a bit underwhelmed by the Jelani Eddington transcription of "Star Wars," brilliant though it was.

I much prefer the electronic version thus:-

MM

Liked the "Peter an' da Wolf," but wondered why anyone should choose to transcribe it to organ/piano etc.

Simply because all the instruments are already there, most kids with any musical input at all are familiar with Wolf and Carnival, and that makes it an excellent means of interesting them in the organ. Not the only way, but in my view an excellent way. Piano I don't understand however.

Simply because all the instruments are already there, most kids with any musical input at all are familiar with Wolf and Carnival, and that makes it an excellent means of interesting them in the organ. Not the only way, but in my view an excellent way. Piano I don't understand however.

=========================

Ah! Sorry about the piano bit. I must have misheard the introduction, which is not aurprising considering that I was batting down the M6 at the time, somewhere near Birmingham.

Now I understand the reasoning behind the transcription, it makes sense.

MM