Mander Organ Builders Forum

John Barry

David Drinkell

John Barry, one of the world's leading composers of film music, died on Sunday 30th January. He wrote a little piece called 'Pray to the Lord' for the compilation 'Fanfare for Francis'. I played it in a lunch-time concert today. Maybe others might feature it as a tribute to him. He was born in York and was at one time a composition pupil of Francis Jackson.

John Barry, one of the world's leading composers of film music, died on Sunday 30th January. He wrote a little piece called 'Pray to the Lord' for the compilation 'Fanfare for Francis'. I played it in a lunch-time concert today. Maybe others might feature it as a tribute to him. He was born in York and was at one time a composition pupil of Francis Jackson.

A sad loss to the world of film music - he was up there with John Willians and Jerry Goldsmith as a composer of scores for "fantasy" films. I do not know his piece "pray to the Lord". Is this compilation still available? On another thread I recounted how I played his Moonraker theme as a concluding voluntary for my mother-in-law, a huge Bond fan.

Peter

A sad loss to the world of film music - he was up there with John Willians and Jerry Goldsmith as a composer of scores for "fantasy" films. I do not know his piece "pray to the Lord". Is this compilation still available? On another thread I recounted how I played his Moonraker theme as a concluding voluntary for my mother-in-law, a huge Bond fan.

Peter

Yes, 'Fanfare for Francis' is published by Banks. There's some interesting stuff there.

====================

I love listening to good film-scores, and John Barry was right up there with the best of them, like John Williams.

I can't imagine that this discussion board is the place to discuss electronic organs and light-music, but the following performer is so imaginative and clever, (using pre-recorded percussion and effects etc), I thought it would remind us of what John Barry achieved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1pO4d2fIcw&feature=fvsr

I had no idea that Barry had written music for the organ or that he had been born in York, but I was aware of the Francis Jackson connection.

MM

====================

I love listening to good film-scores, and John Barry was right up there with the best of them, like John Williams.

I can't imagine that this discussion board is the place to discuss electronic organs and light-music, but the following performer is so imaginative and clever, (using pre-recorded percussion and effects etc), I thought it would remind us of what John Barry achieved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1pO4d2fIcw&feature=fvsr

I had no idea that Barry had written music for the organ or that he had been born in York, but I was aware of the Francis Jackson connection.

MM

Nice performance but of a piece not actually by John Barry!

Peter