Mander Organ Builders Forum

Oxbridge

SinaL

A different take on old English instruments is the Walker organ at Oriel, of 'older' style than Jesus (although again with some concessions to modern repertoire) and very successful. PCND, you can judge the old Jesus College Binns yourself: it's up Marston Rd, where John Budgen installed it with modifications in St Michael & All Angels.

If Romantic organs are your thing, then the better Oxford organs (at least in my day) were Wadham (gorgeous Father Willis), the Town Hall (4-man Willis); Keble (yes it still just about worked and was fabulous); St Mary & St John's Iffley Road (1914 Norman & Beard in west gallery); and Mansfield (largely untouched Vowles in a stunning Champneys case, although unloved in the late 80s); and of course St Peter's lovely little Willis, mentioned earlier.

With apologies to our hosts, I always preferred the old Magdalen instrument, despite its mongrel nature and heavy case. It's been given a new lease of life by St Edward's School.

Of the ones I never played but looked good on paper at least: Balliol (x2), Somerville (small H&H) and St Clement's Church Martson Rd (large 4-manual Martin which appears to be in a sorry state according to NPOR)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Oxford organ I most disliked as a student was this one at Pusey House. I suppose it would be interesting if it had survived as a relic (and Pierre could visit it!), but I couldn't find anything it did that was useful.

Paul

What a bizarre specification! Were the Cornet and mutations a later addition? I just don't see how they fit with the rest of the scheme.

The Oxford organ I most disliked as a student was this one at Pusey House. I suppose it would be interesting if it had survived as a relic (and Pierre could visit it!), but I couldn't find anything it did that was useful.

Paul

My brother was organist there whilst he was an undergraduate. He said the post-Mass sherry made everything else tolerable :lol:

I think they've gone digital now.

Were the Cornet and mutations a later addition? I just don't see how they fit with the rest of the scheme.

No, they were original, and as I recollect not far off Dulciana tonality. The ranks of the cornet had a row of draw stops that matched the main ones, but were about half the size. And they didn't fit with anything, not even each other, really.

Paul

Things were considerably more relaxed 1996-1997 when I was at GSM. Stephen Cleobury was happy for us to use the west organ as much as possible, so Sunday morning voluntaries were often played on it. Dare I confess I rather preferred it (in every respect) to the east organ...

======================

:o

MM

No, they were original, and as I recollect not far off Dulciana tonality. The ranks of the cornet had a row of draw stops that matched the main ones, but were about half the size. And they didn't fit with anything, not even each other, really.

Paul

In that case, they look like a very early stab at a neo-classical organ, with "stab" being the operative word! Where would the idea for that Cornet have come from?

In that case, they look like a very early stab at a neo-classical organ, with "stab" being the operative word! Where would the idea for that Cornet have come from?

More like an attempt at tonal synthesis that spectacularly didn't work, perhaps... It really was unusable for anything you might think of trying to use it for.

Paul