Mander Organ Builders Forum

Richard Keys Biggs

AJJ

I am about to start some research into the life and work of Richard Keys Biggs the American organist and composer - father of the composer John Biggs. If anyone has any info. that they wouldn't mind sharing then please PM me.

Thanks

A

I doubt whether this adds anything to what you already know but:

'Richard Keys Biggs (1886-1962) held positions at several important Roman Catholic churches, most notably the Blessed Sacrament, Hollywood, California, and was highly regarded as a teacher, composer and recitalist. His Toccata (Deo Gratias) is dedicated to fellow American organist David Craighead.'

The above piece is a good bet if you're looking for an easy toccata - somewhere in the difficulty range of Herbert Chapell's 'Songs of Praise'.

I didn't know he was related to E. Power Biggs - I'll put that in the notes next time I trot out the toccata.

I doubt whether this adds anything to what you already know but:

'Richard Keys Biggs (1886-1962) held positions at several important Roman Catholic churches, most notably the Blessed Sacrament, Hollywood, California, and was highly regarded as a teacher, composer and recitalist. His Toccata (Deo Gratias) is dedicated to fellow American organist David Craighead.'

The above piece is a good bet if you're looking for an easy toccata - somewhere in the difficulty range of Herbert Chapell's 'Songs of Praise'.

I didn't know he was related to E. Power Biggs - I'll put that in the notes next time I trot out the toccata.

Thanks!

A

Watch it with this bit - Prof. Thomas Murray doesn't think he was related - I had better check where I got it from!

A