Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recital on a theme of "The Kings James Bible Passages"

Davidb

Hi,

I've been asked to partake in a series of recitals this year (an inagural series for the church) where each recital has a different theme, "Royal Weddings" "Easter New life and Hope" etc (it's a rather evangelical church with a churchwarden keen to push use of the organ) and the recital that i've been given is on the theme of 'The King James bible and its content'

Any ideas on music that could be played? The Howells psalm-preludes immediately spring to mind, but what other music might you suggest?

Hi,

I've been asked to partake in a series of recitals this year (an inagural series for the church) where each recital has a different theme, "Royal Weddings" "Easter New life and Hope" etc (it's a rather evangelical church with a churchwarden keen to push use of the organ) and the recital that i've been given is on the theme of 'The King James bible and its content'

Any ideas on music that could be played? The Howells psalm-preludes immediately spring to mind, but what other music might you suggest?

Ruebke?

John

Hi,

I must say... That's quite a challenge and one that I'd probably not wish to take on personly (I prefer to play recital repertoire that I'm comfortable with rather than requests generally...) If you accept the challenge I'm sure you'll get a great deal of respect for it, and do let us know because I would be very interested.

I imagine, anything with a title, rather than a name ie, hymn preludes, choral preludes, and pieces which are relflections on biblical events ie La Nativite by Messian and Langlais would reflect Biblical content... but the 'King James' bit makes it harder and particularly steers it towards British music for this reason...

I'm amazed at the minds some people possess when it comes to this sort of thing so I shall watch with interest!

I must say... That's quite a challenge and one that I'd probably not wish to take on personly (I prefer to play recital repertoire that I'm comfortable with rather than requests generally...) If you accept the challenge I'm sure you'll get a great deal of respect for it, and do let us know because I would be very interested.

I imagine, anything with a title, rather than a name ie, hymn preludes, choral preludes, and pieces which are relflections on biblical events ie La Nativite by Messian and Langlais would reflect Biblical content... but the 'King James' bit makes it harder and particularly steers it towards British music for this reason...

I'm amazed at the minds some people possess when it comes to this sort of thing so I shall watch with interest!

A friend of mine at university once wrote a piece on the text 'My brother Esau is an hairy man, but I am a smooth man'....

Seriously, apart from the Howells Psalm Preludes, there's some nice psalm-based pieces by Whitlock.

Ruebke?

John

==================

I don't really undestand the "King James Bible" thing.

Surely, all Bibles agree to within about 99%, so long as they're not some dreadful modern trasnlation.

There are the works of Petr Eben of course, but they may confuse people in England unless you include a bit of creative dance. The low church faction like that sort of thing I'm told.

MM

==================

I don't really undestand the "King James Bible" thing.

Surely, all Bibles agree to within about 99%, so long as they're not some dreadful modern trasnlation.

They're not all celebrating their 400th anniversary, though.

It would be better to describe the recital as on "The St James Bible, to celebrate it's 400th Anniversary" or something.

Dupre Vespers antiphons - some on biblical words, Magnificats, "Mit fried und Freud", Vater Unsers.

Good luck with it!

Instead of thinking only of Bible passages, why not think of music that was around at the time of the Hampton Court Conference (1604) which began the creation of the King James Bible, until its publication (1611).

Maybe something by Tallis? Hadn't he been a Gentleman of the Chapel Royal, of which there was and is one at Hampton Court Palace? It's not inconceivable that his music might have been played there in 1604.

And King James appointed Orlando Gibbons organist to the Chapel Royal (where he had also been a Gentleman) so even though it was a few years later the connection may not be too tenuous.

Best wishes

J

Instead of thinking only of Bible passages, why not think of music that was around at the time of the Hampton Court Conference (1604) which began the creation of the King James Bible, until its publication (1611).

Maybe something by Tallis? Hadn't he been a Gentleman of the Chapel Royal, of which there was and is one at Hampton Court Palace? It's not inconceivable that his music might have been played there in 1604.

And King James appointed Orlando Gibbons organist to the Chapel Royal (where he had also been a Gentleman) so even though it was a few years later the connection may not be too tenuous.

Best wishes

J

I like that Idea J...!

Good idea J,

I had a look back over the Reubke yesterday, and remember 75% learning the fugue about 18 months ago, and was surprised how much of it seemed ok - certainly something that can be sorted out by August! As such I think I will play this as the main item on the programme.

Gibbons is a really good idea, and being the 40th anniversary of his birth, a work by Pablo Bruna seems important even if not thematically appropriate.

Bach - Probably the Vater Unser preludes from the Clavierubung, maybe alongside the Ten Commandments prelude from the Orgenbuchlein.

Finally, to start with the 'Exultamus' from the Seven Sketches on Psalm verses from Whitlock

Or at least that is this mornings thinking!

• 2 weeks later...

The British idea is very good, which gives us Byrd, Bull and Gibbons - don't forget that Parthenia, ths first printed keyboard music in England, was issued in 1612-13 and contains pieces by these three. Tomkins is very good, and some of the lesser lights found in Robin Langley's excellent anthologies are well worth playing. Psalm preludes by Sweelinck (see Fitzwilliam virginal book for link to England) and Speuy provide continental variety with a close connection to the UK.