Mander Organ Builders Forum

Arthur Harrison organs

Declan Curran

I have recently purchased "Organ Dreams", a selection of music played on the Arthur Harrison organ in Temple Church.

This is the first of his instruments I have heard and I am hungry for more.

Any recommendations ?

Regards to all,

Chauncey

Arthur Harrison considered his finest instruments to be St. Mary Redcliffe, Bristol and King's College, Cambridge. King's has been recorded on various formats, including DVD. Redcliffe has just been thoroughly restored and there must surely be a recording due any time.

I'm not sure how much the Temple organ has been altered from AH's original conception - it's certainly in a different building (it was built for the ball-room at Glentanar Castle in Scotland, where George Thalben-Ball first encountered it), and the mixtures had been recast some years ago.

I'm not sure how much the Temple organ has been altered from AH's original conception - it's certainly in a different building (it was built for the ball-room at Glentanar Castle in Scotland, where George Thalben-Ball first encountered it), and the mixtures had been recast some years ago.

The Temple organ is soon to be dismantled and taken away for a complete restoration lasting almost 2 years. See here.

There are some recitals in the near future giving a chance to hear it before the work starts.