Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recital Cancellation

Anyone considering attending tomorrow's recital at Rochdale Town Hall with Robert Sharpe should note that thiks event has had to be cancelled due to a protest march. The local Police have advised the venue to remain closed in case of trouble!

CP

It's like the 1980s all over again...

I once gave a lunchtime recital at Bristol Cathedral. That same lunchtime, Tony Blair visited County Hall on the other side of the green, where protesters pelted him with eggs. Obviously, the recital still went ahead and the reception in the Cathedral was more favourable: I was fed egg and cucumber sandwiches with tea in the Grand Marriott hotel afterwards.

Who would have thought that an organ recital by Mr Sharpe would be a source of a protest march, what is the world coming ...... oh, I get it, they're not protesting because of the organ recital. Silly me!

The protest is being staged by the EDL, an anti-Islamic group, and they will be countered by the anti-Nazis! In a town where a high proportion of the population is Muslim, expecting some antagonistic behaviour may be an understatement!

Robert will be performing at Stand, just a few miles further West, on the 26th, so all is not lost.

CP

Anyone considering attending tomorrow's recital at Rochdale Town Hall with Robert Sharpe should note that thiks event has had to be cancelled due to a protest march. The local Police have advised the venue to remain closed in case of trouble!

CP

In Jenny Setchell's book there is a report of organ practice clearing the cathedral of terrorists.... surely a full recital would easily deal with just a protest march?

In Jenny Setchell's book there is a report of organ practice clearing the cathedral of terrorists.... surely a full recital would easily deal with just a protest march?

We didn't think of that... perhaps we should fling wide the doors onto the exterior balcony, and sound out 'Jersualem' on full organ?!

CP

Sorry about this but:

Q. What's the difference between a terrorist and an organist?

A. You can negotiate with ...

Ian