Mander Organ Builders Forum

Paisley Abbey

AJJ

As one of Ralph Downes' bigger projects I am surprised that this organ has not figured more in journals, scribblings etc. I am unlikely to be nearby in the forseeable future so if anyone has had experience of this instrument - how does it compare to the beter known RD schemes such as Gloucester, St Albans etc. Are the C-C origins still evident and how has recent work effected things?

A

Guest Cynic
As one of Ralph Downes' bigger projects I am surprised that this organ has not figured more in journals, scribblings etc. I am unlikely to be nearby in the forseeable future so if anyone has had experience of this instrument - how does it compare to the beter known RD schemes such as Gloucester, St Albans etc. Are the C-C origins still evident and how has recent work effected things?

A

I have to start by saying I only know this organ from recordings, but it is worth commenting that according to a conversation I had with Denis Thurlow, this was not only his favourite organ but quite possibly the most successful of all Ralph Downes' schemes.

Can't comment on the recent work as it is about 3 years since I last played it for a service. However, with family near by, I'm hoping to arrange a play next time we're up there. It was a great instrument to play, and a tremendous acoustic, its just in the wrong town! And George has clocked up possibly 50 years there now and what has been achieved chorally up there is almost solely down to him.

(He's also a damn fine golfer!)