Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organists and Steam

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And as the eccentric is a key element of the valvegear of the majority of steam locomotives, we've gone full circle!?

CP

====================

I never left the groove......that's desmodromic, I think.

MM

• 3 weeks later...

I've always been a railway enthusiast although largely I've had to limit myself to 00 Gauge models. What I can do for real though is sit at my 1933 Willis console ( a rebuild from 1890) or at the wheel of my 1933 Lanchester 10 and it is just possible to feel slightly transported back in time. The Willis had the Musicom control system installed a few years ago but I remember before that the clunks and clicks the couplers made due to the 30s electrics in the console, very like the mechanical controls of the car. Of course, the accelerator is the organ pedal type and both have ebonised finishes. Now - who says organists are stuck in the past...?

I was involved with the purchase from BR of Britannia Pacific 70000 Britannia, and she wil be out on the main line on the 7th April for the first time for many years.and I will be proud to be on the train.

I am also interested in old buses and planes (new and old).

Am I a frustrated organ enthusiast ?

Colin Richell

Regarding organs and steam trains - John Dykes Bower was one such and I remember many conversations between him, 13 year old James Lancelot and Paul Edwards on the subject before morning choir practice.

James has a name plate hanging in his hallway "Sir Lancelot", and has a massive layout in one of his rooms, or did have last time I was in there. As well as a nice 3 man H & H organ in the lounge

Peter

I was involved with the purchase from BR of Britannia Pacific 70000 Britannia, and she wil be out on the main line on the 7th April for the first time for many years.and I will be proud to be on the train.

Colin Richell

Give me a wave when you pass through Ashford. I hope to see the return run prior to choir practice

I am also interested in old buses and planes (new and old).

Am I a frustrated organ enthusiast ?

Colin Richell

==========================

The more I read, the more I am convinced that we are all barking mad. I would just express my surprise that no-one has yet come up with the obvious connection of Traction Engines and Fair Organs.

I just think it would be ideal to chuff around, dragging an organ on a trailer, stopping at pubs (real ale of course), and entertaining the locals with a quick burst of Suppe's "Poet & Peasant" and Ketelby's "In a monastery garden."

How about a small "Father" Willis on the back of a Sentinel steam-lorry?

MM

==========================

The more I read, the more I am convinced that we are all barking mad. I would just express my surprise that no-one has yet come up with the obvious connection of Traction Engines and Fair Organs.

I just think it would be ideal to chuff around, dragging an organ on a trailer, stopping at pubs (real ale of course), and entertaining the locals with a quick burst of Suppe's "Poet & Peasant" and Ketelby's "In a monastery garden."

How about a small "Father" Willis on the back of a Sentinel steam-lorry?

MM

I believe that North Yorkshire organ-builder Graeme Leonardo Hardy owns a traction engine.

CP

We raised money for Britannia by attending traction engine rallies every weekend, but I have to say that although it is steam, I am not very enthusastic about these beasts (well they don't run on rails do they ?)but we sold hundreds of models made by Matchbox. so I should be grateful.

Colin Richell.

At the risk of going seriously off topic, here's a video I did at the RHDR a year or so ago.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvd_vBYERiM

Lovely! Quite the best Romney video I've seen. Apart from the excellent photography, it captures the Romney sound to perfection - the clicketty-clack over the rail joins, the sound of the steam at rest and at work, and particularly the sound of the chime whistles over the Marsh (they were the first in Britain - Jack Howey heard them in Canada and had some brought over, which Nigel Gresley heard and ordered some for the LNER).

I've never seen both the 4-8-2s on steam on the same day. Glad to see my favourite - 'Hurricane' - did she slip ever so slightly on starting?

• 2 weeks later...
We raised money for Britannia by attending traction engine rallies every weekend, but I have to say that although it is steam, I am not very enthusastic about these beasts (well they don't run on rails do they ?)but we sold hundreds of models made by Matchbox. so I should be grateful.

Colin Richell.

Oh joy! I shall be in Warwick next Saturday (visiting my wife's mother, etc) and will go to Cape Road bridge or the station to see 70000 go through each way on the 'Cathedrals'. Anyone else round there, I might see you too? Nice pic of her in black on the latest mag cover, though the assistant in Smith's said he preferred Brunswick- turns out he is a guard on the East Lancs!

CP

Oh joy! I shall be in Warwick next Saturday (visiting my wife's mother, etc) and will go to Cape Road bridge or the station to see 70000 go through each way on the 'Cathedrals'. Anyone else round there, I might see you too? Nice pic of her in black on the latest mag cover, though the assistant in Smith's said he preferred Brunswick- turns out he is a guard on the East Lancs!

CP

Cape Road bridge would be a better bet than the station (although not much good for photos in the down direction) as 70000 is booked to call at Warwick so will be at full blast by Cape Road for the run up Hatton Bank.

Although not especially a steam fan I may pop out nearer to SonA for a quick look if it's sunny.

P

Cape Road bridge would be a better bet than the station (although not much good for photos in the down direction) as 70000 is booked to call at Warwick so will be at full blast by Cape Road for the run up Hatton Bank.

Although not especially a steam fan I may pop out nearer to SonA for a quick look if it's sunny.

P

Its a breath of fresh air to learn that on this forum there are so many steam fans and that many are aware of Britannia.

Yes Brunswick Green was the colour and ICI (are they still around?) very kindly donated the paint all those years ago.

I will be on the West Somerset Explorer on Saturday 18th June from Paddington which was a birthday present.

Colin Richell.

OK, I admit it, I'm in the club too, though for me (born after the last steam train to run), the fascination with railways is so much more about the architecture and topography (can't wait to get inside the restored Midland Hotel at St Pancras). However, we're on hols in Norfolk this week, which of the three steam railways can members recommend for 1. length of ride, and 2. decentness of refreshment and other additional attractions for my children. The other half will only permit one of the three. Answers asap!

OK, I admit it, I'm in the club too, though for me (born after the last steam train to run), the fascination with railways is so much more about the architecture and topography (can't wait to get inside the restored Midland Hotel at St Pancras). However, we're on hols in Norfolk this week, which of the three steam railways can members recommend for 1. length of ride, and 2. decentness of refreshment and other additional attractions for my children. The other half will only permit one of the three. Answers asap!

The Mid Norfolk Railway is approx 10 miles in length (they actually own 17 miles of trackbed) and operates between Dereham and Wymondham where they have a connection with Network Rail to Norwich.and there is a nice church there.

Facilities are very good but from memory they do not operate steam locomotives although I might be wrong.Dereham is a lovely town and you can see the unused track bed to County School.

The North Norfolk railway is situated at Sheringham where the level crossing has been reinstated to connect with Network railway. Plenty of steam locos but line only about 7 miles in length. Facilities are reasonable and the town is interesting witha fairly decent beach.

Sorry cannot recall another raileay in Norfolk unless you are talking about the Mid Suffolk which is only 1 mile in length.

Hope that helps, the railways do have a web site.

Colin Richell.

The Mid Norfolk Railway is approx 10 miles in length (they actually own 17 miles of trackbed) and operates between Dereham and Wymondham where they have a connection with Network Rail to Norwich.and there is a nice church there.

Facilities are very good but from memory they do not operate steam locomotives although I might be wrong.Dereham is a lovely town and you can see the unused track bed to County School.

The North Norfolk railway is situated at Sheringham where the level crossing has been reinstated to connect with Network railway. Plenty of steam locos but line only about 7 miles in length. Facilities are reasonable and the town is interesting witha fairly decent beach.

Sorry cannot recall another raileay in Norfolk unless you are talking about the Mid Suffolk which is only 1 mile in length.

Hope that helps, the railways do have a web site.

Colin Richell.

I think I would go for the Bure Valley Railway, which runs for 9 miles between Aylsham and Wroxham. It's 15" gauge but, like the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch, you do get the impression of speed, and the locomotives work quite hard. There are some nice shops in Coltishall if your wife needs persuading - probably in Aylsham too.

The Wells and Walsingham is basic but fun, and has the only British Garrett in steam.

A somewhat unsung steam railway in these parts, north Staffordshire, The Churnet Valley Railway at Cheddleton near Leek, has a number of steam locomotives and diesels running along it's tracks. Like other steam ventures it imports locos for special events. It has just opened a further extension to the line through to Cauldon Low and it's planned to open a service through to Stoke-on-Trent to link up with national mainline services. Any steam enthusiast visiting this area will be struck by the CVR's scenic route, the main part running alongside the river Churnet and parts of a branch of the Trent & Mersey Canal. Sorry I don't know of any organs along the route.

http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/main/index.php

I think I would go for the Bure Valley Railway, which runs for 9 miles between Aylsham and Wroxham. It's 15" gauge but, like the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch, you do get the impression of speed, and the locomotives work quite hard. There are some nice shops in Coltishall if your wife needs persuading - probably in Aylsham too.

The Wells and Walsingham is basic but fun, and has the only British Garrett in steam.

Sorry I just have no interest in narrow gauge railways, although I did spend many years working on the Festiniog in the very cold winters, and I do have an affection for the RH&DR.

Colin Richell

Sorry I just have no interest in narrow gauge railways, although I did spend many years working on the Festiniog in the very cold winters, and I do have an affection for the RH&DR.

Colin Richell

Ah - well, then I guess the North Norfolk is the one for you then!