Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dreamland, Margate

Bryn Clinch

Although not strictly a Town Hall Organ, the Noterman/Compton organ in the Dreamland Cinema, Margate, possibly known many years ago as `The Hall By The Sea`, is to be restored as part of a massive restoration programme of the Dreamland Leisure Complex which includes the cinema on which work has already been started. My information is that the organ is intact and housed in roof chambers but the console has `mildew` on it. The organ has been silent siince 2000 and is a 4 manual, 19 rank, originally by Noterman. Compton built the existing instrument in 1935 and incorporated the Noterman ranks.

Although not strictly a Town Hall Organ, the Noterman/Compton organ in the Dreamland Cinema, Margate, possibly known many years ago as `The Hall By The Sea`, is to be restored as part of a massive restoration programme of the Dreamland Leisure Complex which includes the cinema on which work has already been started. My information is that the organ is intact and housed in roof chambers but the console has `mildew` on it. The organ has been silent siince 2000 and is a 4 manual, 19 rank, originally by Noterman. Compton built the existing instrument in 1935 and incorporated the Noterman ranks.

I had a go about 25 years ago and most of the organ was working. However as an impressionable teenager having spent many hours in the park on its famous wooden rollercoaster, I was so disappointed by its surroundings. The old cinema had been converted to a bingo hall, with lovely state of the art 70's fittings, covered with cigarette burns and the like. The fantastic art deco features were still to be found. nut hidden behind curtains etc. I believe the original grand piano had been removed. The park is now a big hole and like many seaside towns is a shadow of its former self. The organ had some good stuff on it and I am pleased to hear that it is being restored - Kent will have another working 4 manual again, as there are not many around that part of the world.