Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Royal Wedding

Philip

We haven't got any details of the actual music yet, but http://www.officialroyalwedding2011.org/bl...stminster-Abbey gives a list of performers. No surprise to see some brass etc as well as the choir and organ.

Its interesting to note the line about their choices including specially-commissioned pieces. Lets hope that we get something which choirs up and down the country might be able to use and might become part of the repertoire.

I wonder how much couples in future will be influenced by the music at the Royal Wedding?

We haven't got any details of the actual music yet, but http://www.officialroyalwedding2011.org/bl...stminster-Abbey gives a list of performers. No surprise to see some brass etc as well as the choir and organ.

Its interesting to note the line about their choices including specially-commissioned pieces. Lets hope that we get something which choirs up and down the country might be able to use and might become part of the repertoire.

I wonder how much couples in future will be influenced by the music at the Royal Wedding?

Indeed! Well let's all hope there's nothing by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies!

Indeed! Well let's all hope there's nothing by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies!

Only your opinion - which, of course, you are entitled to!

I think it would be highly appropriate to ask 'Max' to write something for the wedding though, I have to say, I think his orchestral writing, the 3rd symphony particularly, and the writing for solo voice such as 'Eight Songs for a Mad King' are better than his choral writing. We, on rare occasions, used to perform an 'Our Father' which, on the page, looked rather dull but was, in fact, rather good to sing.

I much rather have a new piece by Peter Maxwell Davies than have to listen to some ageing 'Pop' star churning out a re-work of something he had written earlier. The funeral of Diana had, standing beside each other, performances that were quite sublime, who can forget the Purcell, sung in Procession, next to the cheap and tacky. What worried me the most was that the cheap and tacky got all the approbation.

Only my opinion of course!!!

In early January the London church where I worship did a superb unison Latin Mass setting by Peter Maxwell Davies. The individual movements, perhaps, went on after they'd said what they had to say, but it was a good piece to listen to and I'd happily hear it again. It seemed to be popular with others in the congregation.

Wasn't William Mathias's "Let the people praise Thee" written for the Charles/Diana wedding? That was predictably awful.

Malcolm

Wasn't William Mathias's "Let the people praise Thee" written for the Charles/Diana wedding?

Yes, it was.

I wouldn't want to do it that often, but it does have its moments.

I much rather have a new piece by Peter Maxwell Davies than have to listen to some ageing 'Pop' star churning out a re-work of something he had written earlier. The funeral of Diana had, standing beside each other, performances that were quite sublime, who can forget the Purcell, sung in Procession, next to the cheap and tacky. What worried me the most was that the cheap and tacky got all the approbation.

Only my opinion of course!!!

=====================================

I'll repeat something I wrote previously concerning Diana's funeral service, which was rather more than an international showcase for British choral-music.

Princess Diana was very brave in her support of AIDS victims, and did much to dispell the myths, fears and hysteria surrounding this relatively new disease. Only lepers ever had rougher treatment, but Diana put her arms around them and hugged them, for all the world to see.

In the matter of (Sir) Elton Jiohn, he was not only very close to the work which Diana did in this respect, he became a close personal friend. In monetary terms, Sir Elton John has donated more to AIDS charities and research than many whole countries have.

Of course, the presence of Sir Elton John at Diana's funeral may just have been a cheap and tacky pubiciity stunt...........

Negative judgements are so easy to make when we don't understand the facts.

I was personally delighted to see Sir Elton John sing at the funeral, which seemed so utterly appropriate at the time.

MM

=====================================

I'll repeat something I wrote previously concerning Diana's funeral service, which was rather more than an international showcase for British choral-music.

Princess Diana was very brave in her support of AIDS victims, and did much to dispell the myths, fears and hysteria surrounding this relatively new disease. Only lepers ever had rougher treatment, but Diana put her arms around them and hugged them, for all the world to see.

In the matter of (Sir) Elton Jiohn, he was not only very close to the work which Diana did in this respect, he became a close personal friend. In monetary terms, Sir Elton John has donated more to AIDS charities and research than many whole countries have.

Of course, the presence of Sir Elton John at Diana's funeral may just have been a cheap and tacky pubiciity stunt...........

Negative judgements are so easy to make when we don't understand the facts.

I was personally delighted to see Sir Elton John sing at the funeral, which seemed so utterly appropriate at the time.

MM

I absolutely agree, I thought Elton John was superb in his rendering, but, I thought at the time how much better it would have been had the organ been utilised as well. Wouldn't a piano and organ sound great together ?

As to the wedding, I couldn't care less and I certainly will not be watching it, rather watch paint dry !

Colin Richell.

Sackcloth and ashes re my comment on Elton John, I understand your points Colin and Muso, it's just that I don't like the music.

===================

We will not insist on penance and the lash, but I would freely admit that I do like quite a bit of Sir Elton John's music, and he certainly knew how to rock a crowd at Madison Square Gardens. The words of Bernie Taupin are certainly better than those found in most, often rather ugly pop songs.

I'm a hopeless case I'm sorry to say, because I like so many different kinds of music....from Bach to Bacharac: from Michael Jackson to Francis Jackson, (via Gershwin of course).

I also like theatre-organs, the music of the "Hot Club of Paris" and Billy Meyerl, which immediately condemns me to the eternal fires of hell, I understand.

The only point I would make, is that "like" and "dislike" are not reliable guides as to musical, artistic or poetic worthiness, and in the case of Lady Diana's funeral, there were so many who were grateful for her interest in humanitarian issues; whatever her faults and failings. That's the most important point, I suspect.

It was a fairly special day in so many ways, and I drove from London to Leeds on the M1 very shortly after the funeral cortege had passed. Never have I driven on a carpet of flowers, which were strewn across the carriageways and especially beneath bridges. That lasted for the better part of 50 miles....quite extraordinary.

MM

PS: Anyone a "Supetramp" fan?

I absolutely agree, I thought Elton John was superb in his rendering, but, I thought at the time how much better it would have been had the organ been utilised as well. Wouldn't a piano and organ sound great together ?

=======================

Somehow, I can't imagine Elton John playing the piano part for the Peeters Concerto, even though he did train at the RA. His wig would have fallen off, and the ensuing temper tantrum would have been heard miles away. :lol:

MM

PS: Anyone a "Supetramp" fan?

YES! I never thought I'd find an organist who was a fan. Breakfast in America, Logical Song, Its Raining Again etc. Are they still going? Are they old enough for one of those ageing-rockers-who-need-a-top-up-on-pension tours?

And ELO?

YES! I never thought I'd find an organist who was a fan. Breakfast in America, Logical Song, Its Raining Again etc. Are they still going? Are they old enough for one of those ageing-rockers-who-need-a-top-up-on-pension tours?

And ELO?

===========================

I think varous attempts have been made to revive "Supertramp" as a group, but really, the leading man was Roger Hodgson, and he continues as a solo artist with his own backing-group. Often very deep lyrics, I believe that "Hide in your shell" is really about schizophrenia,and if so,it is very,very clever indeed.

Anyway....completely off-topic....here he is:-

logical song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BruEmB7_1ok dreamer

hide in your shell

It’s raining again

Enjoy!

MM

And ELO?

Supertramp, certainly. An excellent band. From Now On is one of their best, I think (from Even in the Quitest Moments IIRC).

Now, Alan Parsons Project, anyone?

P

=======================

Somehow, I can't imagine Elton John playing the piano part for the Peeters Concerto, even though he did train at the RA. His wig would have fallen off, and the ensuing temper tantrum would have been heard miles away. :lol:

MM

I've always liked Elton John's music and Bernie Taupin's lyrics but am not so keen on EJ's voice. I have a CD somewhere with many of his songs sung by others. I can't remember all the details but "Sacrifice" sung by Sinead O'Connor was terrific and very moving.

......Just been downstairs and found it amongst Mrs H's discs (humph!). It's called Two Rooms and has 16 songs, produced in 1991. Playing it now...

Ah memories :blink::lol::)

=======================

Somehow, I can't imagine Elton John playing the piano part for the Peeters Concerto, even though he did train at the RA. ...

MM

Um.... did you mean the RAM - or is he also gifted with brush and pencil, etc....? *

* Although I had thought that one could only exhibit there, not actually train.

And ELO?

I preferred Roy Wood when he was with The Move - Blackberry Way was a great song.

Apropos Elton John, Choir and Organ reported that he was to give (or has given?) a benefit concert to raise funds for the new RAM organ. I liked his very early material such as his debut (I think) album called simply Elton John. And then Tumbleweed Connection.

OK so now we're at it, how many Tom Waits fans out there? And Zappa anyone?

Peter