Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recital thoughts

Martin Cooke

I have been asked to give a recital in a methodist church and find myself wanting to find some music to play that might have had its roots in the methodist church. You know, you think of people like Brewer, Howells, Jackson, Bairstow, who were all involved in cathedrals, but what organ composers were based in methodist churches? I can think of Lloyd-Webber (senior) at the Westminster Central Hall, but does anyone else have any ideas by any chance?

I have been asked to give a recital in a methodist church and find myself wanting to find some music to play that might have had its roots in the methodist church. You know, you think of people like Brewer, Howells, Jackson, Bairstow, who were all involved in cathedrals, but what organ composers were based in methodist churches? I can think of Lloyd-Webber (senior) at the Westminster Central Hall, but does anyone else have any ideas by any chance?

I wouldn't worry about that, just make the recital enjoyable. If you are worried about the content message Paul Carr a member on here who had a long standing connection with the methodists, I am sure he will guide you.

Barrie

======================

I've just lost half an hour of my life!

Apart from the family connection of Samuel Wesley, I cannot think of a single Methodist organist who composed organ-music beyond Frank Lloyd-Webber. Even Eric Thiman was a Congregational organist.

How extraordinary!

It wasn't as if they lacked fine organists and organs, and the choral side of things meant that many of the Methodist choirs were the foundation-stones of many a choral society.

In fact, I can think of more organists who wrote music for brass-bands than Methodist organists who composed for the organ.

I hope you find something, but perhaps you should take the landmark dates of Methodism, and play music appropriate to those years.

MM

======================

I've just lost half an hour of my life!

Apart from the family connection of Samuel Wesley, I cannot think of a single Methodist organist who composed organ-music beyond Frank Lloyd-Webber. Even Eric Thiman was a Congregational organist.

How extraordinary!

It wasn't as if they lacked fine organists and organs, and the choral side of things meant that many of the Methodist choirs were the foundation-stones of many a choral society.

In fact, I can think of more organists who wrote music for brass-bands than Methodist organists who composed for the organ.

I hope you find something, but perhaps you should take the landmark dates of Methodism, and play music appropriate to those years.

MM

Have done the same with equal lack of success. J Arthur Meale looks possible as does Cyril Christopher. WSLW had been at a string of Anglican Churches (lastly All Saints Margaret Street) so I'm not sure how Methodist he was.

Francis Westbrook was the only Methodist Minister to have an earned DMus; I know there's some choral music of his, and you might be able to find something for the organ. I'd be surprised if they are members of this board but if you can track down Martin Ellis (Dorking Parish Church), or Revd Ivor Jones they probably know as much between them about Methodist music as you're ever likely to be able to find.

I sometimes play the little chamber organ in the Foundery Chapel at Wesley's Chapel in City Road, London; it's believed to have been Charles Wesley Snr's house organ, and I find salutary the thought that Sam Wesley might have played it before me.

Good luck with your research.

Ian

I have been asked to give a recital in a methodist church and find myself wanting to find some music to play that might have had its roots in the methodist church. You know, you think of people like Brewer, Howells, Jackson, Bairstow, who were all involved in cathedrals, but what organ composers were based in Methodist churches? I can think of Lloyd-Webber (senior) at the Westminster Central Hall, but does anyone else have any ideas by any chance?

Hi

What about the various Wesley's? Charles (son of THE Charles Wesley), Samuel & S.S. Wesley all wrote organ music - possibly enough, if you were so inclined, to fill a whole recital programme.

Every Blessing

Tony

Francis Westbrook was the only Methodist Minister to have an earned DMus; I know there's some choral music of his, and you might be able to find something for the organ.

Ian

Ah! Well, I have a copy of A Westminster Suite by Westbrook - I haven't looked at it for ages but I recall that it was a bit indigestible!