Mander Organ Builders Forum

Manor Methodist Church, Bermondsey

Colin Harvey

I'm trying to track down Cecil Clutton's article on the Willis organ at Manor Methodist Church, Bermondsey in The Organ. Does anybody have it and would they be willing to share it with me? I'm not sure which volume it's in. Any offers of help would be appreciated gratefully.

P.S. A quick search on NPOR tells me it is in vol. 59 of The Organ. This is the organ: http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi...ec_index=N16112

I'm trying to track down Cecil Clutton's article on the Willis organ at Manor Methodist Church, Bermondsey in The Organ. Does anybody have it and would they be willing to share it with me? I'm not sure which volume it's in. Any offers of help would be appreciated gratefully.

P.S. A quick search on NPOR tells me it is in vol. 59 of The Organ. This is the organ: http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi...ec_index=N16112

I have it. Isn't that the organ which formed the basis of the Shepherd Brothers' organ at St. Alphege, Burnt Oak?

Hi Colin

I've got a copy of that issue. If you still want it, let me have your e-mail address and I'll scan it & send it to you.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi David and Tony

Thank you very much for your messages - I'll be in touch via PM.

David - yes, well spotted: this is the organ that formed the basis of the Shepherd Brothers' organ at Burnt Oak.

I'm writing a little article on the Contra Fagotto of this organ, which we believe now forms the Pedal Bassoon of the H&H organ at Twyford Parish Church. The link comes from Richard Boston, who was active in the post-war years, initially with Charles Whiteley of Chester and then on his own in the Winchester area. He may have done some work in London in the immediate post-war rebuilding. Boston rebuilt the Twyford organ in 1956, when the Fagotto arrived. I believe the Fagotto was never installed in the post-war organ at Manor Methodist Church and somehow it fell into Richard Boston's hands.

Eric Shepherd and I have a little chuckle every now and again that we should reunite the Fagotto with the rest of the Willis pipework at Burnt Oak. It would certainly make a very fine Swell double reed. However, the treble pipes were lost in a rebuild at Twyford during the 1980s.

If anybody has any further information, I would be glad to hear about it.