Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organs for baroque music in London

Martin

Hello,

on the mid of May I'll be in London (participating in an AES-Convention (www.aes.org, an extra organ recital also takes places!).

Are there any (smaller) instruments suited for Bach et al which are both worth visiting and possibly gain access for playing in London/surrounding?

Thanks,

Martin

Hello,

on the mid of May I'll be in London (participating in an AES-Convention (www.aes.org, an extra organ recital also takes places!).

Are there any (smaller) instruments suited for Bach et al which are both worth visiting and possibly gain access for playing in London/surrounding?

Thanks,

Martin

How about the Grosvenor Chapel, Mayfair (Wm Drake 1991 IIP/23) for a start? In 18c English style, but versatile.

JS

Hello,

Thanks,

Martin

One the loveliest (with a fine mechanical action) is the gloriously restored 18th Century instrument in St James, Clerkenwell. Spot-on chorus and fine acoustic as well. I have always thought it just the best in town for so many reasons.

N

Considering where you'll be based in West London, there's St Paul's Girls' School and the catholic Church commonly called the Servite Priory - both Grant, Degens & Bradbeer instruments of an earlier generation of organ-building; St Mary on Paddington Green (Petter Collins); and as Nigel Allcoat has said elsewhere, there's the splendid church of St John the Evangelist (RC), Islington (Walker), but it's not in your vicinity. There are others too, I'm sure.