Mander Organ Builders Forum

Easter Greetings

Peter Clark

A very happy Easter to all - and renewed thanks to John and Rachel for their hospitality on this forum. Having just got home from playing/directing a 2 1/2 hour vigil (preceded by a choir practice), and having had a couple of very welcome Bacchanalian tinctures, I am hoping that tomorrow's Mass will go equally well! Going to close proceedings with an episode of Fawlty Towers!!

Once again, my best to all.

Peter

A very happy Easter to all - and renewed thanks to John and Rachel for their hospitality on this forum. Having just got home from playing/directing a 2 1/2 hour vigil (preceded by a choir practice), and having had a couple of very welcome Bacchanalian tinctures, I am hoping that tomorrow's Mass will go equally well! Going to close proceedings with an episode of Fawlty Towers!!

Once again, my best to all.

Peter

====================

I always dread the Easter Vigil; especially when the priest hands me a copy of Verdi's "March oif the Hebrew Slaves" in F# major and says, "Could you play that for the procession?"

For heaven's sake, I play a baroque organ and largely baroque music.....we don't DO F# major. I had to remember the E sharps and the fingering from a long time ago when I ploughed through the 48. It all worked out well from a miserable piano edition, all instantly re-arranged 'on the fly.'

Of course, no-one thought to tell me that they wanted the tune to the "Llondonderry Air" which I knew well enough after my sojourns across to the Emrald Isle....we were now playing by ear.

Candle number four was lit while the priest was calling for candle number 6; the unfortunate server immediately removed from the reserve-list for the olympic torch relay.

Then we had a baby screaming after 90 minutes of vigil, and I knew exactly what she was suffering. I consequently missed the queue for the Sanctus and became aware of eyes penetrating my soul. I made a lunge towards the keys and played the wrong introduction; brilliantly interpreted by the congregation as the correct introduction.

The one bright spot was a moment of inspiration, because during the interminable readings, I sketched out an idea for a little set of variations on "This joyful Eastertide." Largely improvised, it went ever so well and I felt well pleased

with the result....perhaps I should write it down if I can remember what I did. (Where is the recording device when you most need it?)

After driving back from London through the night into Saturday morning, getting the shopping, polishing up the new paintwork on the car with rubbing compound, mending the organ and practising the final voluntary, I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that THE D-minor was heard only by one hardy individual; the entire congregatiuon clearing the church in about 20 seconds after the vigil.

I collpased in a heap at around 10.30pm, switched on the TV and discovered only horror films, which I hate.

Easter Sunday had to be better; and it was.

I grabbed an extra "freebie" egg and gave it young John, who had helped with the repairs to the organ.

So a belated Happy Easter to everyone, from a slightly exhausted organist.

MM

====================

I always dread the Easter Vigil; especially when the priest hands me a copy of Verdi's "March oif the Hebrew Slaves" in F# major and says, "Could you play that for the procession?"

For heaven's sake, I play a baroque organ and largely baroque music.....we don't DO F# major. I had to remember the E sharps and the fingering from a long time ago when I ploughed through the 48. It all worked out well from a miserable piano edition, all instantly re-arranged 'on the fly.'

Of course, no-one thought to tell me that they wanted the tune to the "Llondonderry Air" which I knew well enough after my sojourns across to the Emrald Isle....we were now playing by ear.

Candle number four was lit while the priest was calling for candle number 6; the unfortunate server immediately removed from the reserve-list for the olympic torch relay.

Then we had a baby screaming after 90 minutes of vigil, and I knew exactly what she was suffering. I consequently missed the queue for the Sanctus and became aware of eyes penetrating my soul. I made a lunge towards the keys and played the wrong introduction; brilliantly interpreted by the congregation as the correct introduction.

The one bright spot was a moment of inspiration, because during the interminable readings, I sketched out an idea for a little set of variations on "This joyful Eastertide." Largely improvised, it went ever so well and I felt well pleased

with the result....perhaps I should write it down if I can remember what I did. (Where is the recording device when you most need it?)

After driving back from London through the night into Saturday morning, getting the shopping, polishing up the new paintwork on the car with rubbing compound, mending the organ and practising the final voluntary, I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that THE D-minor was heard only by one hardy individual; the entire congregatiuon clearing the church in about 20 seconds after the vigil.

I collpased in a heap at around 10.30pm, switched on the TV and discovered only horror films, which I hate.

Easter Sunday had to be better; and it was.

I grabbed an extra "freebie" egg and gave it young John, who had helped with the repairs to the organ.

So a belated Happy Easter to everyone, from a slightly exhausted organist.

MM

I know the feeling! Having returned from the Midlands last night (see post on 'Organists and Steam') I had a service to play for at 10.30, in which all went well until the folder containing the settings (we were using 'Lillis') flicked a page to 'Inwood' when I wasn't looking, (that's my excuse) with the result that the intro was wrong! The choir spared me by picking up and singing along anyway. Then Revd Father handed out the cream eggs, but missed me, so I went home the sadder!

CP

Back now after a rather long day with 3 services and countless alleluias (as well as a decent amount of alcohol consumed - at lunch and after Evensong).

Its always a big ask for us doing fully sung services at 6am, 10am and 6.30pm - discussion in the pub tonight considered whether a full Choral Evensong is a good idea in this context. That said, Brewer in D and Stanford Ye Choirs held together fairly well (and with only 14 singers) and to pick up the Bairstow Psalm 114 setting only in the pre-service rehearsal after 12 months and for it to work was fairly impressive. I was lazy with my practice so did 'the Widor' for the evening - a bit sloppy in places but everyone (well, the 25 or so present) seemed to enjoy it. I did the Mushel Toccata this morning (for the first time) which was better and gave me a chance to use the Zimbelstern. It seemed to be well-received.

====================

We finished at 11.00pm (late start to ensure darkness) so collapsed at about 11.40 after driving home. Mercifully, Easter am Mass was an hour later than usual.

M

I am totally zonked out after Easter Day! Simple Sung Eucharist with the choir at 6:00am (I am not a morning person!) - Merbecke, 'This joyful Eastertide' and the Widor Toccata. Big breakfast at the home of two of the choir members. 9:15am Sung Eucharist, congregational with simple setting (Malcolm Archer) of the 'modern' liturgy, Choveaux's Introduction and Toccata on 'Lasst uns erfreuen'. 11:00am Choral Eucharist (with baptism), Haydn's Little Organ Mass, Hallelujah Chorus, Easter Anthems, Willan's 'Rise up, my love' and Gigout's Grand Choeur Dialogue. Choral Evensong at 6:30 - Responses Me in C, Caustun's Service, Batten's 'O sing joyfully', Mulet Carillon Sortie.

It was fun, but that early start is a killer!