Mander Organ Builders Forum

Canterbury DVD

Malcolm Kemp

I've just received this DVD and I have to say that I am very impressed with both the playing and the organ, whose grandeur belies its (relatively few) sixty stops.

Perhaps more impressive is a recitalist who can play all those pieces (and no doubt many more) from memory. I feel proud to share the same name (although I can't play a note myself)!

I've just received this DVD and I have to say that I am very impressed with both the playing and the organ, whose grandeur belies its (relatively few) sixty stops.

Perhaps more impressive is a recitalist who can play all those pieces (and no doubt many more) from memory. I feel proud to share the same name (although I can't play a note myself)!

It is ironic perhaps that mine still hasn't arrived!

Malcolm

My copy has now arrived (hold-up due to a misunderstanding over credit card details which was my fault). I agree that the playing is superb, all from memory as already said, and the whole thing is worth every penny. Not my choice of repertoire perhaps but that is neither here nor there.

What I particularly liked was John Robinson's general manner when speaking on camera in the bonus tracks. He actually gave the impression of enjoying himself and he even smiled at the camera. Surely a first for this excellent series?

Malcolm

Malcolm,

I would agree with you about some of the repertoire - wouldn't be my first choices either, although I confess to have found some of it really very interesting listening. Reading the programme notes, many of the pieces 'paint' really quite clever images. I had no idea that the organ at Canterbury is as modest as it is, but it is certainly good at what it does.

Indeed, John's manner was good, but it isn't really a first for the series. Inevitably throughout it there have been some confident speakers and some less so, and the two John's rank highest for speaking on camera in terms of the flow presentation skills required to do this convincingly. Perhaps some teaching/lecturing experience, or even some previous experience in front of cameras (JSW) helps - but really it comes down to comfort zones/confidence. Either way, the talks given on these DVDs are fascinating each and every time.

I wonder where the next DVD will be from? I am sure somebody will know. I had heard whispers of Durham, but that was in the Durham region, so perhaps they're just being hopeful!

Best regards,

A Timmis

Indeed, John's manner was good, but it isn't really a first for the series. ...

I agree -- personally, I found it most enjoyable to listen to what Colin Walsh had to tell about the Lincoln Willis, as he did not in any way hide his attachment to this instrument, and apparently enjoyed himself thoroughly showing it off. Watching the bonus track, I definitely got a feeling of meeting two real personalities, Mr Walsh's and the organ's. I daresay one of them smiled at some point, but cannot remember who and when in the programme.

Best,

Friedrich

I am not sure what is in Priorys pipeline, but I can heartily recomend James Lancelot playing the Elgar sonata, from Durham of course, and Graham Barber playing the Reubke, from Armley. Well put together, and good photography, and best of all, reasonably priced, as I made mention to a contributor here, Banks in the fair city of York, wanted £27.99 for them

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

This series of DVDs is a triumph, and the latest offering from Canterbury is certainly no exception. The playing is absolutely first class, and he speaks engagingly and naturally afterwards about the instrument, his enthusiasm for it undimmed by marginal limitations.

As for the programme, whilst it may appear not to work "on paper" (3 passacaglias? (passacagliae??)), in performance the pieces were so varied that it actually came off well.

I particularly liked his own transcription of the Debussy "Footprints in the snow" piece: at times it reminded me of Vierne, but at others it made me think of Arvo Part...