Mander Organ Builders Forum

Descriptions

David Drinkell

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only recently realised that it is possible to HEAR death watch beetle...a very quiet ticking.

========================

God knows how I knew this myself at the time, but it was a typically subtle, Robert Andrews type of wit, and I think he was pleased that it found a receptive target, accompanied by a snort of laughter which almost drowned out the sound of the reed.

MM

Cavaille-Coll thought the wooden 32's on the 1834 Birmingham Town Hall organ sounded like "wet drums" and the metal 32's looked "just like rainspouts".

PJW

"Expensive draught" has been used to decribe 32' flues, but I don't know who first thought of it.

Was it Leslie Barnard who referred to a certain type of big solo reed as a "Mukkinese Battle Horn"? I'd like to see that on a draw-stop.

The 32' Napoleon on the Aubertin at S. Louis in Vichy has the desired 'all conquering' effect from its position outside the case along the gallery wall.

A

Wouldn't a 4' stop be more appropriate for Bonaparte?

I'd heard that the 32' Ceaucescu on another european organ developed a cipher, the only way to overcome it was to stage an uprising in Bucharest...

My first serious organ teacher, George Austin, (himself a pupil of Atkins and Brewer) used to describe the Vox Humana at St Bartholomew's Brighton, where he was organist, as "The Goat".

Malcolm

====================

I'm going to establish a "Be kind to Vox Humanas" charity, I think.

They're not all bad....Fr Willis pear-shaped ones, Wurlitzer ones, Cavaille-Coll ones and some of the old Netherlands gems.

MM

====================

I'm going to establish a "Be kind to Vox Humanas" charity, I think.

They're not all bad....Fr Willis pear-shaped ones, Wurlitzer ones, Cavaille-Coll ones and some of the old Netherlands gems.

MM

I'll join! I reckon a Vox is one of most useful stops you can have. Great for roughing up other sounds (Oboe becomes Hautboy, Clarinet becomes Cromorne, strings become sexier).

I'm very fond of my Vox. :P

I'll join! I reckon a Vox is one of most useful stops you can have. Great for roughing up other sounds (Oboe becomes Hautboy, Clarinet becomes Cromorne, strings become sexier).

I'm very fond of my Vox. :P

=========================

You're just using that organ as a synthesiser, aren't you?

MM

There was an organist back home in Essex (he was a Yorkshireman) whose usual comment after trying an organ was:

'It could do with a couple of things, like a mixture and a tuba'

Or a hypothesis by an adopted Yorkshireman:

'It's not a proper organ if it hasn't got an Open Wood on the Pedal'

I hope the good people of Essex were careful to inspect the Yorkshireman's passport when ever he ventured out in public.

Malcolm

He was right, though (although there are arguably more useful ways to enhance an 1890 10 stop Henry Jones), because there weren't many Tubas in Essex and I can't think of any now, apart from theatre organs. Even Suffolk has at least 4.

Or a hypothesis by an adopted Yorkshireman:

'It's not a proper organ if it hasn't got an Open Wood on the Pedal'

=======================

'ey up! Hold thee 'orses lad!

If tha's talkin' 'bout Yorkshire organists, old 'Arry was overheard saying at Halifax PC, "Eee! If only Johann Sebastian had had an organ like this.I wonder what things 'e might a written?"

It was felt expedient to leave 'Arry to it at that point, and slope off to the pub.

MM

He was right, though (although there are arguably more useful ways to enhance an 1890 10 stop Henry Jones), because there weren't many Tubas in Essex and I can't think of any now, apart from theatre organs. Even Suffolk has at least 4.

========================

Tubas would be no good in Essex. You'd never hear them above the screeches of Essex girls.

MM

========================

Tubas would be no good in Essex. You'd never hear them above the screeches of Essex girls.

MM

Good job my sister didn't hear you say that.....

There are sundry Trombas scattered around, and the firing squad at Saffron Walden. With regard to the latter, an old Rector of mine who had previously been curate at Walden said that they materialised because a bride asked for a certain piece of music and the organist said he couldn't play it because the organ didn't have a Tuba, whereupon the bride's father produced a cheque-book. They cheated somewhat by having a Trompeta Real instead.

There are sundry Trombas scattered around, and the firing squad at Saffron Walden. With regard to the latter, an old Rector of mine who had previously been curate at Walden said that they materialised because a bride asked for a certain piece of music and the organist said he couldn't play it because the organ didn't have a Tuba, whereupon the bride's father produced a cheque-book. They cheated somewhat by having a Trompeta Real instead.

There's the the Ophicleide in Chelmsford Cathedral.

There's the the Ophicleide in Chelmsford Cathedral.

Yes - I was in the Essex Man Organ Gala at St. Paul's to help raise money for that. I was avoiding roses called by other names - the old organ had a Tuba, although it was missed off at least two printed specifications.

I should imagine that there might be a drawstop or two engraved 'Tuba' as one gets into the London outskirts. Rutt-land, if you see what I mean.

Fair enough, though you were the one who brought up trompetas real!

Yes, you're quite right, it's my fault! There must be scope for a whole thread about what people have said about them.

I have heard the one at St. James Cathedral, Toronto referred to as 'that kazoo at the west end', which is a little unfair because it's a reasonable example of its type, but a little incongruous on an instrument that really needs a Tuba in the main organ.

[quote name='David Drinkell' date='Jun 25 2011, 10:33 AM' post='59557'

I have heard the one at St. James Cathedral, Toronto referred to as 'that kazoo at the west end', which is a little unfair because it's a reasonable example of its type, but a little incongruous on an instrument that really needs a Tuba in the main organ.

The person making fun has a good point - the Trompeta Real at St. James isn't very good actually. The speech is exceptionally late and uneven. It's not at all good when you ask it to do anything quickly - eg Cook Fanfare. The organist there really would like to improve it someday. I think the best example (clear and full bodied in tone) in Toronto is the one at Yorkminster Part Baptist Church (yes folks - that really is the name...) but since you can't see it many people don't realise its there!

BTW... I'm not at all a fan of Casavant Tubas... the British built much better...

Talking of big reeds!!

Does anyone remember the solo reed on the old St. Chad's Cathedral organ in Birmingham? I think it was called 'Trompeta Argentina' - or something similar. I was in the congregation one Easter Vigil when John Pryer assulted us at the end with additional fanfares around the hymn 'Thine be the glory' - it was an amazing hymn accompaniment and the most deafening noise I have ever heard!!

I was also at the morning Mass the last time the old organ was used. Mass ended with a billiant Pryer improvisation on 'When I am laid in earth' - beginning with the ground bass in G minor in the pedals and building up and up until a change to the major key and the last post sounded on the big reed - hugely entertaining, it kept organists crying in their beer for weeks!!

I heard that most of the old organ went into the melting pot - a rank of wooden pipes, I think, were saved for the new organ but that the pipes of the big reed were also saved. I wonder what became of it?