Mander Organ Builders Forum

Next Priory DVD

Philip

http://www.priory.org.uk/cgi-bin/ukstore/u...special%20offer!

Details for the next in the series, with Andrew Millington at Exeter, have just appeared on the Priory website. Looks quite a good programme to me, although I have a feeling one or two items have already featured elsewhere in the series.

These DVDs are a fantastic idea etc. - but - with the cost of things I am not over inclined to get duplicates of repertoire or 'mixed recitals' some of which I can't really justify. I got the Lincoln one because I worked there off and on for a while - and the St Pauls one for the instrument - so far I have not touched the others. Liverpool could be a choice for 'instrument' interest but Exeter maybe not. And that is no relfection on Andrew Millington I hasten to add who I recently saw fill a church for a concert with a nicely played and balanced programme.

A

I ordered mine by post when I got their latest printed catalogue about a week ago. I have them all apart from the Liverpool one which doesn't interest me in the slightest. From other sources I've also got the 20th Century J S-W ones, the Lancelot/Elgar Sonata one, the Barber/Armley one and the Moult/Bridlington one.

One of the aspects of these that I find most beneficial is that you can watch the technique (both manual and pedal) of real experts and learn a lot from them. I think they are worth buying even if only for that. I may have said this before but I think the most audience friendly player from the point of view of the "extras" talking about the organ and th programme is John Robinson at Canterbury and, to date, I think he is the only one to play his programme from memory.

Malcolm

These DVDs are a fantastic idea etc. - but - with the cost of things I am not over inclined to get duplicates of repertoire or 'mixed recitals' some of which I can't really justify. I got the Lincoln one because I worked there off and on for a while - and the St Pauls one for the instrument - so far I have not touched the others. Liverpool could be a choice for 'instrument' interest but Exeter maybe not. And that is no relfection on Andrew Millington I hasten to add who I recently saw fill a church for a concert with a nicely played and balanced programme.

A

Duplication does not bother me at all. I find it interesting to compare the sounds of different organs, although a wide range of music is also nice.

I have them all, so far, and am presently trying to persuade SWMBO to buy me the Exeter one as a late birthday present, or an early Christmas present.

My favourite so far is St Pauls: an organ with a very interesting range of sounds, further extended wonderfully (if I'm not being too sycophantic) by our hosts in 1977.

To be honest, I have seen bits of them - but only the parts where the viewer is taken on a tour of the featured instrument - be it aural or physical.

Whilst I realise that the programmes were chosen both to show off the various organs and to appeal to the widest possible market, the repertoire is often too well-trodden to interest me. (Or, in the case of some items on the Canterbury DVD, so unknown or obscure, I would not wish to risk £20.00, in case they turned out to be rubbish.)

There is just no pleasing some people.

My favourite so far is St Pauls: an organ with a very interesting range of sounds, further extended wonderfully (if I'm not being too sycophantic) by our hosts in 1977.

.... And on several occasions since this date. The Choir Organ, in particular, looks somewhat different to its 1972-77 incarnation.

Actually, I was surprised at how comparatively loud this instrument is - and I refer specifically to the Chancel section. Of course, it is difficult to judge from a DVD, since it depends on the type of playback equipment used - and the volume level selected.

So naturally, I could be quite mistaken....

.... And on several occasions since this date. The Choir Organ, in particular, looks somewhat different to its 1972-77 incarnation.

Actually, I was surprised at how comparatively loud this instrument is - and I refer specifically to the Chancel section. Of course, it is difficult to judge from a DVD, since it depends on the type of playback equipment used - and the volume level selected.

So naturally, I could be quite mistaken....

And where the microphones were placed.

The Royal Trumpets come across as particularly forceful, sounding wonderful in 5.1 surround sound. Their sound is without doubt my favourite of any of the 'party horns' I've heard anywhere.

As a slight aside, the demonstration track concludes with what may be described as part of a 'Fantasia on the Harry Potter Theme'(!). Was this an improvisation especially for the DVD, or is it part of a published work?