Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dom Bedos Project(s)

Clavecin

Whilst on a recent sightseeing holiday in Rome I was invited to go to visit this recently built organ by Formentelli (Verona based builder, works in French classical style, has restored many Classical intruments in France). Unfortunately, as it's about 70k out of Rome and a visit didn't fit in with our planned itinerary, I had to decline the offer but do intend to return.

The organ is a realisation of Dom Bedos' design for an ideal organ as described in detail in his treatise 'Art du facteur d'orgue' 1765 and is similar to the monumantal organ in St Croix Bordeaux. There is quite a lot of info about this Formentalli on the internet including several youtube videos (of varying quality!).

I'm fairly sure that I have read an article, possibly in OR, which described this organ and compared it to another organ recently built, also based on the Dom Bedos plan. The organist whom I met in Rome didn't know of this, so I said that I would try to find some information on it, but so far have not found anything on the internet.

Does anyone know of such an instrument?

Thanks,

DT

.... (There was a 32 on the Great at Ely until it was vandalised in a rebuild.)

PS search using Google.it

The Sub Bourdon 32ft. on the Ely Cathedral G.O., was re-instated at the time of the 2001 H&H rebuild. The Primary G.O. at Norwich Cathedral also has a 32ft. flue (Double Gedeckt); however, this stops at C13.

Eccola!

I like the 32 on the Grand'Orgue !

(There was a 32 on the Great at Ely until it was vandalised in a rebuild.)

PS search using Google.it

The other one might well be in the USA; if I didn't read about it in OR then the article was probably in 'Choir & Organ'

I'll try emailing a friend in the 'States

DT