Mander Organ Builders Forum

Lancaster

AJJ

Why?

A

Yes, it looks quite suitable to me. My only doubt with this sort of scheme is that a church with a choral tradition needs the big organ near the choir, not at the back where it will only be useful for hymns and voluntaries.

You would think there would be a tierce somewhere (other than, presumably, in the mixtures).

How are they going to get 'Duchy of Lancaster Grand Trumpet' on the stopknob?

When the present Makin instrument was installed, an article by Alasdair Pow appeared in 'The Organ', describing it and the restoration by Nicholson of the organ at Ludlow Parish Church. He compared costs, attendance at opening recitals and the sound of the respective instruments. Ludlow came off rather well, Lancaster not so well.

I am perplexed as to why anyone would want two organs of vastly different character and origin playable from the same console.

mpk

I wonder why they don't rebuild the Makin.... :lol:

I am perplexed as to why anyone would want two organs of vastly different character and origin playable from the same console.

mpk

There are plenty of organs around which are a mixture of Harrison and Willis - some of them are reckoned to be pretty damn good.

And if David Wells is doing the job, I would feel confident that it's going to be worth while.

There are plenty of organs around which are a mixture of Harrison and Willis - some of them are reckoned to be pretty damn good.

And if David Wells is doing the job, I would feel confident that it's going to be worth while.

I prefer single malts.

I prefer single malts.

Fair enough, but when you think about it, how many such beasts are there? When I was at Belfast Cathedral, I couldn't think of many other cathedral organs which were pure Harrison. Down Cathedral was probably as much of a mish-mash as could be found, yet Arthur Harrison made it outstanding and his successors enhanced it.

There are three four-manual Casavants in this city, one of which is considered one of the finest of its period. But the Cathedral organ is much more versatile, possibly because not all the pipes are Casavant of 1928 (there's some Hope-Jones of 1904, some Norman & Beard of 1915 and a little bit of 1998 Casavant).

I would agree about single malts when it comes to whisky (at Kirkwall Cathedral, I was within sniffing distance of Highland Park and the manager sang in the choir), but when it comes to organs I'm not sure that mongrels aren't more fun.

Yes, it looks quite suitable to me. My only doubt with this sort of scheme is that a church with a choral tradition needs the big organ near the choir, not at the back where it will only be useful for hymns and voluntaries.

And me. The orgue de choeur with the choir and the Grande Orgue at the west end is not a new idea. Congregations sing much better with a sound coming from behind them, so it's ideal for everyone.

I wonder why they don't rebuild the Makin.... :lol:

Hi

Probably because in 20 years time they'd be thinking of rebuilding it again - at least the pipes & soundboards should last a lot longer than that - and sound better.

Every Blessing

Tony