Mander Organ Builders Forum

BBC & RAH Proms 2011

DaveHarries

Hi all,

Just gone through the listing for the 2011 BBC Proms and the organ features as follows:

Prom 1, Sunday 04th September | David Goode

Programme includes:

Judith Weir - Stars, Night, Music and Light

Janáček - Glagolitic Mass

Note: this is not an organ solo concert.

Prom 3, Sunday 17th July | Stephen Farr

Alain - Litanies

Liszt - Prelude 'Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen' (arr. Winterberger)

J. S. Bach - Chorale Prelude 'Erbarm dich mein, o Herre Gott', BWV 721

Judith Bingham - The Everlasting Crown

Note: World première of Bingham piece.

Prom 34, Tuesday 09th August | Thomas Trotter

St. Saëns - Symphony no. 3 in C Minor forms part of the second half of this prom.

Prom 66, Sunday 04th September | Thierry Escaich

Thierry Escaich - Overture in the Baroque Style (improvisation)

JS Bach - Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland (BWV 659)

Thierry Escaich - Evocation III (on 'Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland')

Reger - Chorale Prelude 'Jauchz, Erd, und Himmel, juble hell', Op. 67 No. 15

Franck - Chorale No. 2 in B minor

Liszt - Adagio in D flat major, S759

Thierry Escaich - Triptych on Themes by Liszt (improvisation)

Note: UK première of the Evocation III.

That is all I can find for this year. it isn't as much as last year but it is still better than not having any organ at all! However, as an aside to the organ music, Prom 54, Wednesday 24th August has Marc–André Hamelin doing a piano concert with all music by Liszt. Oddly the programme includes the Fantasia & Fugue on B.A.C.H. Could be a good concert but would rather hear the B.A.C.H on the organ!

I think this year is a debut for Mr. Escaich? Sounds like a good concert in store from him and should be worth hearing.

HTIOI,

Dave

Hi all,

Just gone through the listing for the 2011 BBC Proms and the organ features as follows:

Programme includes:

Alain - Litanies

St. Saëns - Symphony no. 3 in C Minor forms part of the second half of this prom.

That is all I can find for this year. it isn't as much as last year but it is still better than not having any organ at all! However, as an aside to the organ music, Prom 54, Wednesday 24th August has Marc–André Hamelin doing a piano concert with all music by Liszt. Oddly the programme includes the Fantasia & Fugue on B.A.C.H. Could be a good concert but would rather hear the B.A.C.H on the organ!

I think this year is a debut for Mr. Escaich? Sounds like a good concert in store from him and should be worth hearing.

HTIOI,

Dave

Thank you for doing this, Dave.

What a pity that most of these take place on a Sunday - a day when most organists who do not live in or near London will be unable to attend.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for doing this, Dave.

What a pity that most of these take place on a Sunday - a day when most organists who do not live in or near London will be unable to attend.

Haven`t had the time to check dates but I am sure,unless the effect of the drugs had not yet worn off , the perf`e of The Janacek was on the Opening concert on Friday last.

That is all I can find for this year.

There's also Prom 65 on Saturday 3rd September where David Goode plays Michael Berkeley's Organ Concerto with the BBCNOW.

Prom 34 with Thomas Trotter also includes Dupré's Cortège et Litanie, presumably in the version with orchestra (BBCNOW again).

Hi all,

Programme includes:

Alain - Litanies

HTIOI,

Dave

=====================================

Well, I find this list disappointing and unimaginative; save for the specific organ recitals.

Why do they keep trotting out Liszt?

Fine music and fine organ certainly, but it's become so hackneyed, it's almost an exercise in marketing, presenting what is known to most and musically "organ mainstream."

What a breath of fresh air Xaver Varnus would be, playing his own blend of classical and cross-over music.

What a sensation Dupre's "Olivet in Paris" would be, with a big organ and choir.

What a delight the Scott brother would be.

Isn't it all a bit stuffy and predictable?

Maybe it's just me.

MM

=====================================

Why do they keep trotting out Liszt?

MM

Perhaps because, this year is the 200th anniversary of his birth - and the 'Proms' tends to think like that!!

Neither adjective sprang to mind hearing Stephen Farr's prom.

===========================

I'm sure Stephen Farr played superbly, but I was referring more to those who decide what should be on the programme; you know, the same people who keep the meat pies warm and the coffee machine clean.

MM

Like a dumbo I only got round to listening to this on Sun afternoon - and got cut off (7 days up) before the Bingham had really got going. Did anyone manage to rip the file and be willign to share?

No infringement of copyright here, please.

Moderator, Mander Organs

Like a dumbo I only got round to listening to this on Sun afternoon - and got cut off (7 days up) before the Bingham had really got going. Did anyone manage to rip the file and be willign to share? I'd love to hear it properly - not to keep but to make a considered decision about learning some or all of it.

thanks

===============================

You can hear it now:-

http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2011/1130/

Due to contractual arrangements, I suspect that the programme will only be available this week and will not be placed in the sound archives of Minnesota Public Radio.

I'm listening to it right now. :blink:

MM

===============================

You can hear it now:-

http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2011/1130/

Due to contractual arrangements, I suspect that the programme will only be available this week and will not be placed in the sound archives of Minnesota Public Radio.

I'm listening to it right now. :blink:

MM

Thank you MM. I thought that I had recorded the live broadcast on my reel-to-reel but without checking the radio station to which my tuner was errrr, tuned. Ninety minute tape of Heart FM anyone? :angry:

Now to find a USB to phono plug so I can hear it on something better than Dell PC speakers...

Thank you MM. I thought that I had recorded the live broadcast on my reel-to-reel but without checking the radio station to which my tuner was errrr, tuned. Ninety minute tape of Heart FM anyone? :blink:

Now to find a USB to phono plug so I can hear it on something better than Dell PC speakers...

=============================

You'll need very good speakers for this recording, which I find a bit strange. The microphone placing is so obviously close, the organ balance is all over the place, and in the "Weinen Klagen" there is real-time sighing in evidence. The wind-noise from the 32ft front pipes is quite disconcerting, but my words, my studio monitors had to work hard with those bottom notes of the 64ft resultant!

As for Heart FM, don't knock it. They do a fine 70's disco night on Fridays.

There I am, moon-walking around the room with the vacuum cleaner and a duster......... :angry:

MM

You'll need very good speakers for this recording, which I find a bit strange. The microphone placing is so obviously close, the organ balance is all over the place, and in the "Weinen Klagen" there is real-time sighing in evidence. The wind-noise from the 32ft front pipes is quite disconcerting, but my words, my studio monitors had to work hard with those bottom notes of the 64ft resultant!

There I am, moon-walking around the room with the vacuum cleaner and a duster......... :angry:

MM

My KEF IQ90s will handle anything I care to throw at them but the first problem is that my desktop is upstairs in my study and the KEF system downstairs. I have elderly but good Wharfedale 505.2 speakers and a NAD system upstairs which would struggle with a 64' resultant! The second problem problem is getting a signal from the PC to the amplifier - my boxful of leads has nothing suitable. I shall consult Mrs H's niece :blink: , hopefully before the pipedreams Prom is deleted.

Mrs H. habitually listens to Heart FM which, in fairness does play some good stuff, but I've yet to see her moondancing - she doesn't much like reversing...

There I am, moon-walking around the room with the vacuum cleaner and a duster......... :blink:

MM

Has anyone yet developed speakers that will accurately handle, and I mean accurately handle, 32ft pitch at bottom C (pedal) let alone 64ft? I have some excellent speakers that I can link to my laptop but they could not handle the RAH resultant down at the bottom end.

At those pitches, the problem is not so much the speakers as the fact that domestic rooms are simply too small for the sound waves (hint - how big is even a closed 32' pipe, which is only a quarter of a wavelength). Headphones can do it, but you don't get the feeling and the trouser flapping.

Paul

Has anyone yet developed speakers that will accurately handle, and I mean accurately handle, 32ft pitch at bottom C (pedal) let alone 64ft? I have some excellent speakers that I can link to my laptop but they could not handle the RAH resultant down at the bottom end.

Have a look at this; it addresses some of the issues. Paul is, of course absolutely correct about room size and I imagine that very few people have a large enough space to properly hear low frequencies. If they have, it probably means that they have the resources to install an organ and, if necessary, an organist!

Guest Geoff McMahon
Also downloadable here [link to Simon Cummings' blog deleted]

It has been drawn to our attention that that recording of the Bingham Prom peformance has been posted on-line without the permission of composer, publisher, performer or the BBC, which means that it is illegal. Infringement of copyright.

I understand that, in due course, there will be a commercial recording that will be available for download from the web.

Moderator, Mander Organs

It has been drawn to our attention that that recording of the Bingham Prom peformance has been posted on-line without the permission of composer, publisher, performer or the BBC, which means that it is illegal. Infringement of copyright.

I understand that, in due course, there will be a commercial recording that will be available for download from the web.

Moderator, Mander Organs

If the recording was made available by the BBC online and therefore placed in the public domain, and given that the forum member rightfully drew attention to the BBC, the performer and composer, I would have thought it did not contravene copyright. People are cutting, pasting and recording from the radio and television all the time.

If the recording was made available by the BBC online and therefore placed in the public domain, and given that the forum member rightfully drew attention to the BBC, the performer and composer, I would have thought it did not contravene copyright. People are cutting, pasting and recording from the radio and television all the time.

I am not a lawyer, but simply because people are doing something "all the time" doesn't necessarily make it either legal or acceptable. As I understand it, the BBC make streaming and downloads of TV and Radio programs available under strict conditions eg they are only available to IP addresses in the UK, they are only available for a certain number of days. The creators of the music and performances on the recordings have rights that cannot be taken away by unauthorised use.

I am not a lawyer, but simply because people are doing something "all the time" doesn't necessarily make it either legal or acceptable. As I understand it, the BBC make streaming and downloads of TV and Radio programs available under strict conditions eg they are only available to IP addresses in the UK, they are only available for a certain number of days. The creators of the music and performances on the recordings have rights that cannot be taken away by unauthorised use.

============================

Quite right!

The link I gave to MPR radio (Minnesota - "Pipedreams") is legal because they obviously have an arrangement with the BBC for the Proms recitals, and the "Pipedreams" programme is supported by a grant and by voluntary donations.

So for 7 days you can listen to it, (just as with the BBC listen again i-player), but after that, all listening privileges come to an end.

So whether we like it or not, any copies made (which circumnavigate any copy pretection) are essentially illegal ones.

MM

Hi

Broadcasting or putting material on the web does not put it into the "public domain". Recordings etc. only become "public domain" once the various copyrights expire. Strictly, ANY re-recording, either from radio/TV, CD or any other source of a recording less than (IIRC) 50 years old is an infringement of copyright - on top of that, there are the performers' rights (I'm not sure what the legal position is there) and often the composer/arranger, whose copyright runs for 70 years after their death (and there are moves to make it 100 years). Even personal recordings - or ripping your own CD's to an mp3 player or similar is, strictly, illegal.

Sadly, many people seem to think they can post whatever recordings they like on web sites, etc. - this is not the case.

Every Blessing

Tony

• 2 weeks later...