Mander Organ Builders Forum

J W Walker extension orgas brochure

Guest Hector5

Guest Hector5

Does anyone have a copy of the J W Walker extension organs brochure/booklet that they don't want, or are willing to sell? In the same breath, does anyone have any Walker curved droplets that they might be persuaded to sell?

Hector

Does anyone have a copy of the J W Walker extension organs brochure/booklet that they don't want, or are willing to sell? In the same breath, does anyone have any Walker curved droplets that they might be persuaded to sell?

Hector

I believe that the last of Walkers' stock were acquired by Hill, Norman & Beard for the rebuild of the organ at Lion Walk Congregational Church, Colchester. That's not to say that someone else might not have some, or that they might be available from a trade supplier.

If you're looking for specifications, there was quite a full article on these organs in 'The Organ' back in the sixties. I could look it up for you.

I believe that the last of Walkers' stock were acquired by Hill, Norman & Beard for the rebuild of the organ at Lion Walk Congregational Church, Colchester. That's not to say that someone else might not have some, or that they might be available from a trade supplier.

If you're looking for specifications, there was quite a full article on these organs in 'The Organ' back in the sixties. I could look it up for you.

Hi

There are a couple of examples of these organs not too far from here. The article in "The Organ" was, as I remember it, pretty comprehensive (I have the back numbers somewhere on my shelves). I think the Walker archives are in private hands.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

There are a couple of examples of these organs not too far from here. The article in "The Organ" was, as I remember it, pretty comprehensive (I have the back numbers somewhere on my shelves). I think the Walker archives are in private hands.

Every Blessing

Tony

Has the one at Batley gone now? There was an intention to replace it with a digital a few years ago. And I think I have played one on a tour of Halifax?

CP

Has the one at Batley gone now? There was an intention to replace it with a digital a few years ago. And I think I have played one on a tour of Halifax?

CP

Hi

Sorry - I don't know, the 2 that I have come across are in Barnsley (Baptist Church) and "Our lady and the First Martyrs" in Heaton, Bradford - and that one is far too underwpoered for the 500+ seater round church.

Every Blessing

Tony

Guest Hector5

I have to confess that my motives in all of this are purely selfish. We have just finished restoring out house (an old pub) and are about to set our eyes towards the ex-skittle alley - a very large room with plenty of height. As we have blown much of our new organ budget on restoring the wonderful ex-pub, we are looking for a stop-gap organ - something like a Walker extension organ which will keep us going for the medium term. I am kicking myself as we had one particular Walker available in Rochester which I dismissed, which was really rather fine, with only three ranks, but exceedingly well-voiced (including unusually, a tapered Principal). They all seem to have been well-built and often go on for ever. If anyone knows of any small extension organs that need a decent home, can you please PM me and let me know any details. The IBO site doesn't have much in the way of these kind of instruments - apart from one large extension job.

Hector

I have to confess that my motives in all of this are purely selfish. We have just finished restoring out house (an old pub) and are about to set our eyes towards the ex-skittle alley - a very large room with plenty of height. As we have blown much of our new organ budget on restoring the wonderful ex-pub, we are looking for a stop-gap organ - something like a Walker extension organ which will keep us going for the medium term. I am kicking myself as we had one particular Walker available in Rochester which I dismissed, which was really rather fine, with only three ranks, but exceedingly well-voiced (including unusually, a tapered Principal). They all seem to have been well-built and often go on for ever. If anyone knows of any small extension organs that need a decent home, can you please PM me and let me know any details. The IBO site doesn't have much in the way of these kind of instruments - apart from one large extension job.

Hector

If you are looking for an extention organ Cartwright oragn builders in Staffordshire have at least one in their workshop looking for a good home. One belongs to me but unfortunately I do not have the space to have it installed.

You can contact Philip Cartwright on 07971 326112.

It is a 3 -rank 2 - manual pedelbury unit organ.

They also have a 1965 Walker Positive - it is earmarked for a church in the area but if they don't sign up it could go to another home perhaps.

In both cases funds from the sale of these instruments are gong towards the installation of a Rushworth & Dreaper into a local Catholic Church. It is a very worthwhile cause. The Rushworth is being used for training and encouraging youngsters to take up the instrument as part of St Wulstan's Musical Education Trust. The Walker was rescued from a school building which was earmarked for demoltion. The Pendelbury was replaced in it's local church with a toaster. We hope to see all these instruments well used!

I hope this helps.

If you are looking for an extention organ Cartwright oragn builders in Staffordshire have at least one in their workshop looking for a good home. One belongs to me but unfortunately I do not have the space to have it installed.

You can contact Philip Cartwright on 07971 326112.

It is a 3 -rank 2 - manual pedelbury unit organ.

They also have a 1965 Walker Positive - it is earmarked for a church in the area but if they don't sign up it could go to another home perhaps.

In both cases funds from the sale of these instruments are gong towards the installation of a Rushworth & Dreaper into a local Catholic Church. It is a very worthwhile cause. The Rushworth is being used for training and encouraging youngsters to take up the instrument as part of St Wulstan's Musical Education Trust. The Walker was rescued from a school building which was earmarked for demoltion. The Pendelbury was replaced in it's local church with a toaster. We hope to see all these instruments well used!

I hope this helps.

Pendlebury unit organs tended to be rather horrid. There were a couple around the Belfast area. Some decent pipe-work but it didn't hang together very well. I reckon a Walker or Compton is a better bet.

Hector

Theres a firm in Stratford on Avon who may have some Walker droplets available, its worth a try.

Guest Hector5
Theres a firm in Stratford on Avon who may have some Walker droplets available, its worth a try.

Which firm would this be?

H

Hector

Christ Church Bacup is due to close soon, they have a small Walker extension organ. It may be worth a shot?

Sam