Mander Organ Builders Forum

Relocating Scores

Justadad

I wonder if I might pick the brains of those organists who have experience of relocating from one place to another by air?

Specifically, what advice can you give on how to transport ones music, not in terms of giving a few recitals but, rather, in terms of taking all your music to an appointment on another continent?

Thanks in advance.

J

I wonder if I might pick the brains of those organists who have experience of relocating from one place to another by air?

Specifically, what advice can you give on how to transport ones music, not in terms of giving a few recitals but, rather, in terms of taking all your music to an appointment on another continent?

Thanks in advance.

J

===========================

I've never done it, but I know something about it.

I would personally send, (or have sent), just enough music by air-mail to cover what you may need for a month or so. The remainder, (which will probably include books), could be sent surface mail, which will be a lot cheaper but a lot slower. I would contact one of the main carriers such as DHL or the American company UPS, both of which have offices dotted here, there and everywhere. You will find them very helpful, and they can offer all sorts of insurance and tracking services. (Do get insurance......music is VERY expensive).

Depending on where you plan to move, the delivery times will obviously vary, but these carriers will know exactly when you can expect delivery, and will advise accordingly.

Hope this helps a little.

MM

When I moved to Newfoundland, I took a case-load of music with me. The rest followed six months later with furniture and wife, the former in a container, which took the route Belfast/Rotterdam,New York, Halifax/St. John's and took six weeks.

When I moved to Newfoundland, I took a case-load of music with me. The rest followed six months later with furniture and wife, the former in a container, which took the route Belfast/Rotterdam,New York, Halifax/St. John's and took six weeks.

I have to ask this - how did your wife travel....?

If you're like me, and spend considerable time working out fingering and writing it in, a scan of complex pieces, saved to hard drive and a backup, provides a degree of comfort in case the music goes missing in transit.

Hi Fiffaro

That's a significant point. I've come to understand that markings make scores very personal and there's a world of difference between a well-worked, personally owned score and a clean download from the internet.

Unfortunately in this instance we calculate that some 5,000 pages would need scanning, and we don't have the time.

And whilst the RSCM boxes are a great idea, at three inches wide per box we'd need maybe two dozen boxes and then the question would be about how best to ship those boxes.

Taking enough music for the first couple of months doesn't quite work because we don't know what the music list is.

On the plus side, shipping costs are not our concern so it's really a matter of the best way of getting all the scores on the plane.

Best wishes

J

If you're like me, and spend considerable time working out fingering and writing it in, a scan of complex pieces, saved to hard drive and a backup, provides a degree of comfort in case the music goes missing in transit.

Hi Fiffaro

That's a significant point. I've come to understand that markings make scores very personal and there's a world of difference between a well-worked, personally owned score and a clean download from the internet.

Unfortunately in this instance we calculate that some 5,000 pages would need scanning, and we don't have the time.

And whilst the RSCM boxes are a great idea, at three inches wide per box we'd need maybe two dozen boxes and then the question would be about how best to ship those boxes.

Taking enough music for the first couple of months doesn't quite work because we don't know what the music list is.

On the plus side, shipping costs are not our concern so it's really a matter of the best way of getting all the scores on the plane.

Best wishes

J

==================================

You're making hard work of this. Just go to DHL, explain the problem and they will recommend the best way to package things, and may be able to supply suitable boxes etc.

They can do the rest, and will fly things over on their own planes and deliver to the door at the other end.

They're very big, very efficient and tend to deliver a good service. That's why they are entrusted with Formula 1 bits and pieces.

Actually, all the big parcel companies can do the same thing, but as I've done work for DHL and know how they work, I can recommnend them personally.

MM

I apologise for not replying sooner. Justason is to be Assistant Organist at Grace Cathedral, San Francisco.

Best wishes

J

Perhaps I've missed something. Where is Justason moving to, having, presumably, just finished ar Oxford?

Malcolm