Christopher Price Posted July 31, 2011 Share Posted July 31, 2011 Our association visited some organs in Burnley yesterday, among which at St.Mary's RC there was an extension organ apparently by Willis, though not labelled as such. All the evidence was there- the tabs, voltmeter, etc, and the instrument was interesting in several ways. Of two manuals, but without a swell box, there were no more than six or seven ranks, with all pipework in metal, stopped 8's for the 16', sub/super octave transfers, and very pleasant 'classical' voicing. Sadly, the organ appears to be little used, and as the tuning was quite awful in places one would presume it hasn't been attended to for some time! It may date from the 1950's, and takes the form of an un-cased pair of semi-circular chests, with the central 16's at floor level, and the Positive to the rear. The detached console stands directly in front. This organ seems to have been provided as replacement for the still-extant (though nearly-defunct) 1855 G&D on the west gallery, itself an interesting job with all swell ranks to TC only, and a single large-scale Pedal Diapason. The preservation order on this is the only reason it is still there, and even the Willis is unused, replaced by a quite new cheap 'baroque' toaster, devoid of pistons, but capable of playing itself! Does anyone have any knowledge of similar Willis jobs to this one? CP Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now