Mander Organ Builders Forum

News from Christchurch that isn't really

churchmouse

I hesitated to post this but I do know that many of you are keen to find out whether our Rieger organ has survived in the 11 months after the earthquakes that hit us (and continue to do so - although the shocks are abating, thank goodness!). Unfortunately, we are still waiting for a decision on whether the town hall will be repaired or demolished- but if you are interested in what news we do have, our latest newsletter is now available online here : www.nzorgan.com/news.htm

Cheerful noises,

churchmouse

• 4 months later...

I hesitated to post this but I do know that many of you are keen to find out whether our Rieger organ has survived in the 11 months after the earthquakes that hit us (and continue to do so - although the shocks are abating, thank goodness!). Unfortunately, we are still waiting for a decision on whether the town hall will be repaired or demolished- but if you are interested in what news we do have, our latest newsletter is now available online here : www.nzorgan.com/news.htm

Cheerful noises,

churchmouse

=================================

Unfortunately, Jenny wrote to us too soon, for just after posting her "non-news," two quite severe tremors hit Chistchurch once again, but not to the point of the utterly devastating effects earlier this year, I forget the date.

Apart from the human cost in terms of loss of life, misery and general fear, there is the added effect of cultural destruction and disruption to daily routines, which must be a kind of hell to live with.

As always, our thoughts go out across the world to Martin, Jenny and others involved in church music and organ playing. At a very basic level, how many organs are going to be in tune at Christmas in the Christchurch area?

"Mother nature" often makes people wish to be orphans, but sadly, there's no escape from it.

Hopefully, it will not get to the point whereby we have to adopt a New Zealand resident like we do Polar Bears and White Tigers, but we can at least show empathy and goodwill, and let our friends know that we are still with them in spirit.

Let's hope things will get better NEXT year.

MM

=================================

At a very basic level, how many organs are going to be in tune at Christmas in the Christchurch area?

Well I don't know how the tuning has stood up to the pipes being shaken about, but I tuned six instruments a fortnight ago. Which is a shame since the usual December tuning round should be thirty four.

Here is the tally of organs still useable in Christchurch and surrounding towns.

Three manuals & pedals - 2 out of 12 (and one is in a private residence)

Two manuals & pedals - 22 out of 52

One manual & pedal - 2 out of 10

Manual only - 2 out of 7.

Total 28 out of 81 - 34.5%

Not that a lot of the remaining instruments will be used for the Christmas services. The Anglican churches at least are holding the services outdoors under canvas.

Shepherds may have quaked - but I wish the ground wouldn't.

Well I don't know how the tuning has stood up to the pipes being shaken about, but I tuned six instruments a fortnight ago. Which is a shame since the usual December tuning round should be thirty four.

Here is the tally of organs still useable in Christchurch and surrounding towns.

Three manuals & pedals - 2 out of 12 (and one is in a private residence)

Two manuals & pedals - 22 out of 52

One manual & pedal - 2 out of 10

Manual only - 2 out of 7.

Total 28 out of 81 - 34.5%

Not that a lot of the remaining instruments will be used for the Christmas services. The Anglican churches at least are holding the services outdoors under canvas.

Shepherds may have quaked - but I wish the ground wouldn't.

===========================

That really is quite shocking.

I knew it was bad, but not that bad, so long after the quakes 11 months ago.

I see that there have been further after-shocks overnight, (UK time), which must be alarming and disheartening on Christmas Eve.

I suppose this is the downside of living in a relatively young, very geologically active landscape. If the quakes ever stop, the upside is living in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Meanwhile, near Manilla, our youngest server, 11 year of age, is over there helping members of his family after the floods.

MM

Why did I know as soon as I put some statistics on here that I would have to be correcting them soon.

Having overlooked a few instruments in the surrounding districts, and talking to some owners the casualty list at the moment is as follows. Of the instruments no longer playable, five are destroyed and twenty have been removed from the buildings or dismantled so that the building can be repaired. Others are damaged or await inspection once (if) the buildings can be made safe.

Instruments that are playable.

Three manual & pedal - 1 out of 12 (the residential instrument is now out of action)

Two manual & pedal - 23 out of 56

One manual & pedal - 5 out of 13

Manual only - 2 out of 7

So only 31 out of 88 in the Christchurch area.

In Christchurch itself it is worse.

Three manual & pedal - 1 out of 12

Two manual & pedal 15 out of 45

One manual & pedal 3 out of 7

Manual only 2 out of 7

Total in Christchurch city 21 out of 71.

Christopher