Mander Organ Builders Forum

That most vital piece of console kit

DQB123

Brethren... Our new organ is installed, but has arrived minus one essential: a mirror. I have asked for a price for the said mirror and am STAGGERED to be told that a console top mirror will be £450!!!! Cor blimey!! Think of a number!!! Do they really cost that much??? :lol: We only need 100 of them and we could have another new organ and still have change to buy a car and some fish and chips....

Brethren... Our new organ is installed, but has arrived minus one essential: a mirror. I have asked for a price for the said mirror and am STAGGERED to be told that a console top mirror will be £450!!!! Cor blimey!! Think of a number!!! Do they really cost that much??? :lol: We only need 100 of them and we could have another new organ and still have change to buy a car and some fish and chips....

Thats a lot! Probably best to find someone who is good at DIY, give them £40 and send them to B&Q! Just tell them what you want the player to see in the mirror!!

How many of us have sat at a console and looked into a mirror to see nothing at all relevant to the service or conductor?

I have even on one occasion looked in the console mirror and seen nothing but my own crotch - slightly off putting!!

You could buy a simple CCTV system for less than that, which could be more flexible too.

Have you thought of trying Wilkinsons?

When I was organist at a small parish church some 35 years ago, I bought a Morris Minor rear-view mirror and fixed it to the console. It's still there today; or it was a few weeks ago when last I deputised.

My 1969 Minor's mirror isn't in quite such good condition as the one on the organ. Dare I risk a swap? :lol:

Yes, on the subject of CCTV systems... nowadays in the age of eBay it is very easy to do something effective cheaply. We set ours up for less than £30, using wireless cameras which no one can spot unless I point them out, and the system is entirely satisfactory. (Using mirrors here would have been a nightmare!)

At Liverpool Anglican " The Boss " , and everyone else there, have used a conventional shaving mirror for years ( for rear views that is, not shaving. just mention that for the benefit of those of a more pedantic nature )