Mander Organ Builders Forum

Lefebure-Wely

AJJ

I sight read through this the other week and was quite surprised as I had previously associated L-W with all those rather dinky Sorties that used to be trundled out perhaps more than they are these days. I personally think however that this is actually quite a fine piece - does anyone else play it? There is a rather stunning performance here. The player is Dr David Adams who teaches at the Royal Irish Academy of Music in Dublin - a player equally at home with 'the classics' and the avant garde and someone maybe we should hear more of over here. Incidentally - has anyone else come across Soundcloud before?

A

I sight read through this the other week and was quite surprised as I had previously associated L-W with all those rather dinky Sorties that used to be trundled out perhaps more than they are these days. I personally think however that this is actually quite a fine piece - does anyone else play it? There is a rather stunning performance here. The player is Dr David Adams who teaches at the Royal Irish Academy of Music in Dublin - a player equally at home with 'the classics' and the avant garde and someone maybe we should hear more of over here. Incidentally - has anyone else come across Soundcloud before?

A

This piece is indeed remarkably fine and would make an excellent recital opener or finale!

Lefebure-Wely was certainly a brilliant organist and did have a more serious side. I've played the Fugue in D minor from his "Meditations" which, apart from the chromatic sequence over the dominant pedal towards the end, does little to suggest that this is the composer of those Sorties which "sound like a fairground!"

Herewith an excellent performance of said fugue: