Mander Organ Builders Forum

Proms seem madder than ever this year

David.Dewar

I wouldn't bother if I were you - organ quite underplayed!

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Simnkqt5bv0

Go to 13:30 - how it should be. "Gas mark 10" as a friend of mine would say!

==========================

That's more like it! :blink:

I love the way the orchestra just disappear, save for a few bits of percussion!

MM

My God! What is the world coming to?????

Anyone want a copy of my organ transcription?

Mr Drinkwell, I'd love a copy of your transcription of the Sea Songs, but only if its in a PDF format and that it could be sent without hassle to verdi6@talktalk.net Thank you

David Rogers

Indeed, the organ isn't really that soft (as I remember hearing it there) ...

I seem to remember someone saying to me once that the BBC don't mic up the organ. I've never been to a 'real' last night, but take a school trip to the Schools Proms each November which includes the Elgar P & C and the organ always sounds (and feels) very impressive; there was one year where, on the encore, the organist played pretty much on full organ - the poor orchestra looked like they were playing but I couldn't hear a thing over the organ!

Steve - procrastinating from lesson planning... ofsted cometh before the week's out!

I seem to remember someone saying to me once that the BBC don't mic up the organ. I've never been to a 'real' last night, but take a school trip to the Schools Proms each November which includes the Elgar P & C and the organ always sounds (and feels) very impressive; there was one year where, on the encore, the organist played pretty much on full organ - the poor orchestra looked like they were playing but I couldn't hear a thing over the organ!

Steve - procrastinating from lesson planning... ofsted cometh before the week's out!

Year after year I find that during Rule Britannia. Land of Hope And Glory, and Jerusalem the organ is drowned out by the orchestra, choir and 6000? singers and I just cannot hear it.

Might as well not have it playing.

Colin Richell.

I think that the particular breadth and depth which the organ adds to things like this may be lost in transmission. It might be quite different in the building. And you might, even over the air-waves, notice a differnce if the organ wasn't playing.

I think that the particular breadth and depth which the organ adds to things like this may be lost in transmission. It might be quite different in the building. And you might, even over the air-waves, notice a differnce if the organ wasn't playing.

In any case, you can rest secure in the knowledge that, if the organist who was playing for the Last Night did get a little bored and used the full organ at some point, it would overwhelm the orchestra and the singers with little trouble....

With a completely full Albert Hall plus choir, and orchestra, including singers in various parks throughout the country, I have always assumed that full organ is utilised surely ?

If this is the case you cannot hear the organ because it is drowned out by choir and orchestra.

Perhaps next year we can allow the orchestra to have a rest and enable just the organ to accompany, for example Jerusalem, which would sound great.

Does anyone agree ?

Colin Richell

In any case, you can rest secure in the knowledge that, if the organist who was playing for the Last Night did get a little bored and use the full organ at some point, it would overwhelm the orchestra and the singers with little trouble....

=======================

I forget where I read this, but I seem to recall that the organ, when used at Gas Mark 10, punches out 110dB of sound in the hall, which is getting close to jet-engine strength.

The old Carlo Curely story is worth re-telling, because he went to the hall to practise for a concert, and I think it was Status Quo who were booked in there before him. On arriving, all hell was in full flight, with everything wound up to maximum and speakers everywhere.

Carlo slipped quietly to the organ, and when "Quo" finished their rehearsal, one of the band members apologised for the volume.

Carlo said nothing, but smiled, pressed the last of the General Pistons and gave them a friendly blast on full organ.

The "Quo" just froze on the spot, and after a few chords, Carlo turned to them and said, "That's organ power honey!"

Now I haven't been to a "Last Night," but I did once attend a massed Brass Band event, where the organ was used. One brass band is bloomin' loud, but massed bands are nothing short of awesome. The organ not only stood its ground, it was actually supremely dominant when used in anger against the brass instruments, so 'pcnd' is absolutely right in his observation.

I suspect that the conductor of this year's "Last night" didn't want his little band upstaged by a mere 'kist o'whistles.'

MM

I suspect that the conductor of this year's "Last night" didn't want his little band upstaged by a mere 'kist o'whistles.'

I recall the late Wallace Ross, whilst Organist and Master of the Choristers at Derby Cathedral confiding, with regard to playing the organ for other conductors, "Never play louder than mf in the rehearsal. Then let them have it in the concert!" accompanied by his seraphic smile.

I recall the late Wallace Ross, whilst Organist and Master of the Choristers at Derby Cathedral confiding, with regard to playing the organ for other conductors, "Never play louder than mf in the rehearsal. Then let them have it in the concert!" accompanied by his seraphic smile.

=======================

Uttered by a proper organist! B)

MM