Mander Organ Builders Forum

Ronald Binge ; Elizabethan Serenade (organ transcription)

MAB

I am trying, without success, to get a copy of this organ transcription for a programme of light music I have been asked to play next year.

I have seen it programmed occasionally, and know that Roger Molyneux had a copy years ago, but all attempts to get a copy draw a blank.

Any offers or suggestions ?

Kind regards,

MAB

Light music composer - did a fair bit of arranging for Mantovani, I believe. Probably best remembered as the composer of "Sailing by", which in Britain is played nightly before the late-night shipping forecast on Radio 4.

I believe Ronald Binge hailed from Derby and I played his Elizabethan Serenade under his baton in the new Derby Playhouse c. 1975.

Guest Salamine
I believe Ronald Binge hailed from Derby and I played his Elizabethan Serenade under his baton in the new Derby Playhouse c. 1975.

He was indeed a Derby lad and has never really been credited properly with actually creating the Mantovani 'cascading strings' sound - it was Ronnie who did this. The problem with the piano arrangements is that they miss out a lot of the accompaniment figures which could be used (same applies to piano version of anything by Leroy Anderson). You need to go to the short score of a band arrangement to extract all of the very important and subtle background figures to do a proper job but that might be a tough job to then perform. Even though it's light music it doesn't mean it's easy - it ain't!

I really dislike this piece! ['Sailing by']

A

As a devotee of Radio 4 while driving, I used to dread the Shipping Forecast and "Sailing by", but I think it was a case of familiarity breeding contempt. I think that it's basically rather a good piece of its type, and handy as a run-in to a bulletin which is vital listening for many people.

Now that I don't live in the UK, I really miss good radio, good television, good national papers and decent cross-words. On the other hand, the weather forecast is a lot more meaningful. We had a full-blown hurricane (Igor) last year, which is unusual for us in Newfoundland - they usually vear out to sea or go the other way to clobber Nova Scotia - and yesterday we all battened down the hatches because Hurricane Maria was headed our way (nothing much happened). In the winter, we're used to amounts of snow which would close down civilization in the UK, but it helps to know what's coming!