Mander Organ Builders Forum

St Ouen, Rouen

Vox Humana

I hope this isn't a daft question, but what is the latter day ecclesiastical history of this abbey? When I was there a couple of months back, I saw historical placards both inside and outside the abbey stating that it was dissolved in 1790 and subsequently used as the town hall, but neither mentioned anything about any subsequent use as a church. Google hasn't been any more forthcoming either. There must have been some reason for providing the Cavaillé-Coll organ and completing the west front, and the chairs in the quire area would suggest that services are held at least sometimes. Is it used as a parish church?

There are three parishes in the near vicinity of St Ouen: Notre-Dame (the Rouen Cathedral), St. Marc and Bienheureux Jean XXIII. None of the respective parish web sites list St Ouen as one of the churches, where masses would be held (and there are quite a few churches). So I guess the building serves no ecclesiastical purposes.

M

I hope this isn't a daft question, but what is the latter day ecclesiastical history of this abbey? When I was there a couple of months back, I saw historical placards both inside and outside the abbey stating that it was dissolved in 1790 and subsequently used as the town hall, but neither mentioned anything about any subsequent use as a church. Google hasn't been any more forthcoming either. There must have been some reason for providing the Cavaillé-Coll organ and completing the west front, and the chairs in the quire area would suggest that services are held at least sometimes. Is it used as a parish church?

Quoting a distinguished cathedral organist known both to Vox and me : the purpose of the church is to keep the rain off the organ.

David Harrison

The French Wikipedia says (courtesy of Google translate!):

In 1803, the Rouen City Hall moved into the former monks' dormitory, or "dormitorium" of the eighteenth century. The abbot's house was demolished in 1816. The church itself, after serving as a factory at the time of the French Revolution, then returned to the Catholic faith but without becoming a parish church. It is now used for exhibitions and concerts.

So, presumably it was used as an important church in the 19th century, just not a parish church.

Incidentally, Google translated the stop list of the organ pretty well, but I liked these:

Watch 8 '

Unda husbands 8 '

Bugle 4 '

Bumblebee 16 '

Clairon in racing 4 '

Voice Wind 8 '

Supply V 2 2 / 3 '

It isn't a parish church anymore but Mass is still celebrated there.

Thank you, everyone, for your clarifications. I suppose its ecclesiastical use in the nineteenth century must have been quite significant to have merited the completion of the west front and the provision of such a magnificent organ, both of which I assume would have had to be funded entirely by the church.