Mander Organ Builders Forum

Status of organs in Canterbury, New Zealand

churchmouse

At last we now have a working list of organs in the Canterbury province. For those interested to see how they have survived (or not), check the list which is linked through from www.nzorgan.com

I will update these as reports come in.

Churchmouse

========================

The human cost of lives and disruption is more important, but my words, this is a big list of damage and destruction to organs in New Zealand.

As time goes on, we tend to forget that the aftermath of earthquakes goes on and on, and it says something for the spirit of all concerned that the organ web-site is fully functional and keeping us up to date.

Even dark humour has a place, and I had to smile at Jenny's little sub-comment.

Was that another one or just the 32ft?

A few weeks back, I did a bit of daytime practise at church; getting very annoyed about the man digging a hole in the road outside with a pneumatic-drill, until I recalled events in New Zealand. At least I had an organ to play, and the church wasn't a pile of rubble when I got there.

Best wishes as always. You are still in our thoughts.

MM

• 3 weeks later...
========================

A few weeks back, I did a bit of daytime practise at church; getting very annoyed about the man digging a hole in the road outside with a pneumatic-drill, until I recalled events in New Zealand. At least I had an organ to play, and the church wasn't a pile of rubble when I got there.

Best wishes as always. You are still in our thoughts.

MM

Thanks MM - believe it or not, it really helps to know people still occasionally think of us! I drive past Knox Presbyterian church quite frequently and my heart still sinks when I look in through the skeletal remains of the building to the remains of the organ, swathed in black plastic. (see pics at following link) http://tinyurl.com/3l3hrvp

Other photos in the same album may be of interest to you too - pictures of the cathedrals, Durham Street methodist, St Lukes, Rugby Street, etc. There are simply too many to show all of them.

cheers and thanks

Churchmouse

• 4 months later...

Just another update on the status of Christchurch and its organs and churches. News that the Anglican cathedral in the square is to be brought down to between 2-3 metres (in essence a demolition) although it is not known whether the organ will be able to be retrieved. Perhaps something similar with the Catholic Cathedral, where demolition has halted after the top level has been removed, and the Halmshaw organ is still inside. I have been told that the South Island Organ Company is gearing up to get the organ out of Knox Church - it has been swaddled at the front of what remains of the skeletal church since February 2011. There are now 15 playable 2-manual organs in the city and one 3-manual. No word yet on the Town Hall or the fate of the Rieger. Various other bits and bats of info about Christchurch in general may be of interest to our friends in this forum (hopefully this isn't too far off topic) in my latest newsletter here www.nzorgan.com/news.htm .

Just another update on the status of Christchurch and its organs and churches. News that the Anglican cathedral in the square is to be brought down to between 2-3 metres (in essence a demolition) although it is not known whether the organ will be able to be retrieved. Perhaps something similar with the Catholic Cathedral, where demolition has halted after the top level has been removed, and the Halmshaw organ is still inside.

=========================

The loss of a fine old building is always sad; especially when it means so much to so many. However, when I think of Coventry here in the UK, I can also see a great opportunity.

Tragically, big earthquakes and tsunamis (such as in Japan), leave behind an almost unimagnable amount of destruction, which doesn't take a few months or a few years to put right. In all probability, the work will occupy a whole generation of people, but at the same time, it will strengthen the fabric of society and give people hope.

As always, my thoughts are with you all.

MM

Thanks MM. At least we don't face a shortage of used bricks :-))

Oh I don't know about that - The way they're being thrown about at those who are fronting the demolition of the Anglican Cathedral we might be running out of bricks soon too!