Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Canterbury Organ Company

Bryn Clinch

Does any member have knowledge of The Canterbury Organ Company? They were in operation in the late 1970s, presumably in Canterbury, as I know of an instrument bearing their nameplate. Interestingly, this 1885 Forster & Andrews was moved to its present location in 1948 under the personal supervision of Noel Mander who, I believe, also made some additions and improvements. The Canterbury Organ Company rebuilt this instrument in the late 1970s, making dramatic changes but no trace of them can now found, even at the cathedral archive. Although my memory may be `playing tricks`, I seem to recall reading that they may have been formed by ex-employees of F. H. Browne & Sons but am very unsure of this. Any information would be gratefully received.

A quick bit of googling shows the company as being incorporated on the 28/12/77 and its current status as dissolved. The company address shown is the the address for F H Browne and Sons in Ash near Canterbury

Many thanks, madorganist! You have succeeded in minutes yet I`ve been trying for months.