Mander Organ Builders Forum

St. Mary Magdalene, Stoke Bishop, Bristol [NPOR DD07728]

DaveHarries

Hi all,

Seeing the post about the Skrabl work at Holy Trinity Church, Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol - http://www.mander-organs.com/discussion/in...?showtopic=3338 - has given me a mental nudge to post this about another church near to Westbury-on-Trym.

Throughout a fair portion of 2011 a considerable amount of work has been carried out to the interior of St. Mary Magdalene Church, Stoke Bishop, Bristol. Pictures in the quarterly church magazine have shown dust covers on the organ, certainly on the nave side.

One would also imagine that dust covers were properly placed over the chancel face of the organ but it seems that the organ - which was not removed during the work - has nonetheless suffered. I understand that enough damage has been caused as to render the organ currently unplayable which means that an electronic is currently accompanying services. I imagine - without being 100% certain - that dust is the only problem within the organ.

The instrument (3 manuals, 34 stops) was built by Hele of Plymouth in 1909 replacing an earlier WG Vowles organ of 1860. Daniel of Clevedon rebuilt Hele's organ in 1979. I hope it can be saved: I used to practice on it when I was learning and at least one other member (Ian Ball) will know this instrument as well.

I will next be up at the church on 16th October and I will endeavour to find out as much as I can.

SneydPipes.jpg

Hope this is of interest. I have emailed info to the NPOR.

Dave

Hi all,

Seeing the post about the Skrabl work at Holy Trinity Church, Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol - http://www.mander-organs.com/discussion/in...?showtopic=3338 - has given me a mental nudge to post this about another church near to Westbury-on-Trym.

Throughout a fair portion of 2011 a considerable amount of work has been carried out to the interior of St. Mary Magdalene Church, Stoke Bishop, Bristol. Pictures in the quarterly church magazine have shown dust covers on the organ, certainly on the nave side.

One would also imagine that dust covers were properly placed over the chancel face of the organ but it seems that the organ - which was not removed during the work - has nonetheless suffered. I understand that enough damage has been caused as to render the organ currently unplayable which means that an electronic is currently accompanying services. I imagine - without being 100% certain - that dust is the only problem within the organ.

The instrument (3 manuals, 34 stops) was built by Hele of Plymouth in 1909 replacing an earlier WG Vowles organ of 1860. Daniel of Clevedon rebuilt Hele's organ in 1979. I hope it can be saved: I used to practice on it when I was learning and at least one other member (Ian Ball) will know this instrument as well.

I will next be up at the church on 16th October and I will endeavour to find out as much as I can.

SneydPipes.jpg

Hope this is of interest. I have emailed info to the NPOR.

Dave

In my first year at Bristol University (1975-6), I lived in Halls along the road from this church and I used to practice on the organ. It was a fine old job and a worthy representative of the firm's work. I remember being in the church after the rebuild (I think it must have been a little earlier than 1979) but I don't think I played. I hope it gets put to rights very soon.