Mander Organ Builders Forum

If You Were An Organ Stop...

Guest Lee Blick

Well I've met a few organists that I suspect would be faggottos.

In the American sense?

:)

I would like to be a stop connected to a trap door in the pulpit.

FF

An excellent idea. Did HN&B ever make such a contrivance?

It is probably an alarming gap in my education, but beyond being an attractive accessory, I have never understood the reason for a Zimbelstern or a situation where it would be useful. Please can you enlighten me?

JC

In Dir ist Freude a good place to start, and the last verse of Sussex Carol.

It is probably an alarming gap in my education, but beyond being an attractive accessory, I have never understood the reason for a Zimbelstern or a situation where it would be useful. Please can you enlighten me?

JC

I have a recording of psalms, mostly by St. Johns Cambridge, including the Stanford setting of 150. In the last section (Let everything that hath breath Praise the Lord) the Zimbelstern is very effectively used - together with just about every other stop by the sound of it! And I have been led to believe that some JSB Chorale Preludes are suitable, though I don't know which. Perhaps some of our more erudite members could help?

Regards to all

John

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
How about certain psalm verses, such as:

"My lot hath fallen upon a fair(-)ground...."

(One of our occasional posters here may care to share a story about this....)

B)

Bloke who posted that story elsewhere hasn't been around for a bit has he.? :)

And I have been led to believe that some JSB Chorale Preludes are suitable, though I don't know which.

Anything joyful really. In the Orgelbüchlein you could try using it for Es ist das Heil, Christ lag in Todesbanden and also Wir Christenleut' if you play this one with a full registration (I usually prefer a light one).

I did once try playing In dir ist Freude at Norwich Cathedral with the Zimbelstern - not in public, fortunately. I couldn't cope at all. Even though I was using the primary Great the bells were so loud they completely confounded me.

I can take or leave Zimbelsterns. Frankly, I don't see a lot of point to them. They are, however, preferable to the revolving stars on the (EEOP) Wetheringsett organ, which are entirely silent and possibly downright insidious. I know I'm cynical, but I can hear the parishioners now: "Ah, Alysse, behoulde the starres on the organes how they turne! 'Tis a myracle from oure Ladye!"

"Anything joyful really. In the Orgelbüchlein you could try using it for Es ist das Heil, Christ lag in Todesbanden and also Wir Christenleut' if you play this one with a full registration (I usually prefer a light one).

I did once try playing In dir ist Freude at Norwich Cathedral with the Zimbelstern - not in public, fortunately. I couldn't cope at all. Even though I was using the primary Great the bells were so loud they completely confounded me."

On some of the Zimbelsterns (only with english spelling) that H N B fitted we had a variable speed control so that the bells could be set to sound in time with the music - the result could be magical, particularly in "In dir ist Freude". Have you noticed the pedal line says "We wish you a happy New Year".

FF

In Dir ist Freude a good place to start.

Thank you David, I begin to get the idea. I tried In Dir ist Freude last night, but lacking a Zimbelstern I dusted off my somewhat stratospheric and rarely used Cymbale to top the chorus. It succeeded in annoying the neighbour's dog but did have a cheerful tinkly sound. :D

JC

Guest Psalm 78 v.67

Interesting - I was unaware that this story had been posted previously....

(Are we talking about Norwich Cathedral, here?)

I think it was on here somewhere, last year perhaps - or it may have been on the Anglican Church Music forum - by Andrew Butler, who is active there still but seems to have unsubscribed from here; had he still been subscribed here I could have searched his posts.

Yes, it did involve Norwich and Messrs Archer and (now Dr) Nicholas.

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
I think it was on here somewhere, last year perhaps - or it may have been on the Anglican Church Music forum - by Andrew Butler, who is active there still but seems to have unsubscribed from here; had he still been subscribed here I could have searched his posts.

Found it! http://web16713.vs.netbenefit.co.uk/discus...amp;#entry12295 I think the full story must be on the "Anglican Church Music" forum though.

Actually, I think that it was Adrian Lucas - not Malcolm Archer.