Mander Organ Builders Forum

1911 Police Strike in Liverpool

MusingMuso

I was listening to Radio 4 Sunday afternnon, (as you do), and I had to burst out laughing at one point, which described what happened on the streets of Liverpool during a Police strike in 1911.

Apparently, the peasants took to the streets and smashed all the shop windows; helping themselves to the most expensive things they could find, such as suits, dresses and anything which could easily be removed. They even stripped the dummines of clothes and tried on the items in the window, in full view of everyone.

However, it seems that one of the targets was the Rushworth & Dreaper shop, and somehow, they managed to manhandle grand-pianos into the street, and then sat there playing them.

I suspect that they didn't make off with any organs or reed-organs, but from memory, I would suggest that they would have had them, because I recall the old shop and some of the expensive items in there, including a fine music collection. Indeed, I am extremely grateful that a long out of print Giga by Enrico Bossi, just happened to be among the retail organ-music, and it caught my fancy. It's still one of my favourite little "jolly" pieces, but tricky to play.

MM

I was listening to Radio 4 Sunday afternnon, (as you do), and I had to burst out laughing at one point, which described what happened on the streets of Liverpool during a Police strike in 1911.

Apparently, the peasants took to the streets and smashed all the shop windows; helping themselves to the most expensive things they could find, such as suits, dresses and anything which could easily be removed. They even stripped the dummines of clothes and tried on the items in the window, in full view of everyone.

However, it seems that one of the targets was the Rushworth & Dreaper shop, and somehow, they managed to manhandle grand-pianos into the street, and then sat there playing them.

I suspect that they didn't make off with any organs or reed-organs, but from memory, I would suggest that they would have had them, because I recall the old shop and some of the expensive items in there, including a fine music collection. Indeed, I am extremely grateful that a long out of print Giga by Enrico Bossi, just happened to be among the retail organ-music, and it caught my fancy. It's still one of my favourite little "jolly" pieces, but tricky to play.

MM